Eriba History

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:28 pm
by DognWheel (deleted)

While I was researching Eribas and other lightweight caravans, before buying my Puck L, I am sure I read a potted history of Eriba. I thought it was on this site, but I can't now find anything. (Please don't point me at the Hymer site, there's practically no information on there.)

My Puck L is a 2000 French model. I can't now remember whether manufacture moved to or from France, and therefore am not sure if mine is a later or earlier French one. Not that it matters, it's just nice to know.

2000 Puck L225 pushing a Peugeot 207SW 1.6HDi

Last edited Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:29 pm | Scroll up

RE: Eriba History

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Cernay in France was the home for Eriba vans until about 2010 when production moved to Germany. I think the very first in the early 60's were produced in Germany.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:57 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

This makes interesting reading:- Thann built Eribas

Your 2000 Puck L would most certainly have been built in Cernay Sally. It should say it on the plate by your door.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:36 pm

I'm sure these videos, one of which was resurrected on Facebook today, have been posted on here previously but I can't find them so here they are again.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:36 pm
by Richard | 15 Posts

Although these short videos mention that the designers of the Eriba were aircraft engineers they make little reference to the significance of one of them. Although Erich Bachem designed a camping car before WW2 he was also notable as a designer of military aircraft for the Luftwaffe. He was a co-designer of the Fieseler Storch, a light reconnaissance aircraft with a stalling speed so low that in a headwind it could give the appearance of flying and landing backwards. In the closing years of the war he also designed the Natter, a vertical takeoff rocket plane intended to intercept Allied bombers. Having given his name to the caravan he designed (EriBa) it’s tempting to speculate that the vertical “swoosh” in the brand logo might also be a reference to his rocket plane. For the anoraks among you wanting to know more about the antecedents of our unique caravans all this information, and much more, is available in Wikipedia.

Steve and Debbie, Randa france and GCL like this post!
Last edited Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:02 am

Thanks Richard. I like the bit about the "swoosh".

This thread has some of the info. Richard refers to.:- Erich Bachem

Randa

Last edited Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:02 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:36 am
by GCL | 122 Posts

Very interesting, where can I find more information?

Quote: Richard wrote in post #5
Although these short videos mention that the designers of the Eriba were aircraft engineers they make little reference to the significance of one of them. Although Erich Bachem designed a camping car before WW2 he was also notable as a designer of military aircraft for the Luftwaffe. He was a co-designer of the Fieseler Storch, a light reconnaissance aircraft with a stalling speed so low that in a headwind it could give the appearance, in a headwind, of flying and landing backwards. In the closing years of the war he also designed the Natter, a vertical takeoff rocket plane intended to intercept Allied bombers. Having given his name to the caravan he designed (EriBa) it’s tempting to speculate that the vertical “swoosh” in the brand logo might also be a reference to his rocket plane. For the anoraks among you wanting to know more about the antecedents of our unique caravans all this information, and much more, is available in Wikipedia.

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:14 pm
by Richard | 15 Posts

Randa’s link to the earlier thread (above) will take you to the information. If you also put Fieseler into Wikipedia it will reveal that this company, for whom Bachem worked until 1942, as well as manufacturing the slightly eccentric-looking Storch also contributed the design for the rather more sinister V1.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:31 pm
by Frantone | 103 Posts

I’m sure I read something about Herr Bachem ‘escaping’ to Argentina after the war and running a guitar factory.

Eriba Troll 540GT. 2019. Our sixth Eriba! Loved them all.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:58 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

Guitars is a bit random, did he come back to Germany later then to build Eribas? Wonder if any bits fell of his guitars?

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Doonhamer likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:38 am
by Frantone | 103 Posts

In 1947/48 Erich Bachem left Germany through Denmark and Sweden in order to settle in Argentina. Possibly he wished to escape US agents who planned to send him to the USA with Wernher von Braun's group as part of Operation Overcast. In Argentina, among other things, he constructed a factory for guitars with interchangeable bottoms.

from Wikipedia.

Eriba Troll 540GT. 2019. Our sixth Eriba! Loved them all.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:58 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

Interchangeable bottoms, the mind boggles 😁

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:19 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

The initial deal between the Hymer family and Bachem was that they would build the vans and he would run a company marketing them. His early death, soon after the vans were launched, could have spelt the end, but the Hymers stepped in and took on the marketing too and the rest is history. See http://eribaliving.blogspot.com/2011/10/eriba-living.html

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0