Towing with Peugeot Bipper Tepee

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:50 am
by Coutel (deleted)

Hi
New to this forum and Eriba.

I have a 2012 Peugeot Bipper Teppee, diesel, 1249cc engine with semi automatic gearbox. Max braked trailer weight is 1000kg.

Looking to to buy a Puck although I believe the older Pan may also be suitable. Never towed with the Bipper so not sure how it will cope

Has anyone any experience towing with the Bipper Teppee and if so, good or bad.

Thanks

Thanks

Scroll up

RE: Towing with Peugeot Bipper Tepee

in We've got it down to a T Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:53 am
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

My initial reaction would have been you might be OK, but would have to expect very slow progress. Although your car is showing as a 1.4 diesel on https://towcar.info/index.php and seems a suitable weight the results say even a 550kg Puck 120 is overweight.
If you check on the vehicle weights plate, usually driver side A pillar you should see a list of weights. If this has a low towing weight you cannot legally exceed it.
Some vehicles have what appear to be ridiculously low towing allowances that have been set by the manufacturer. Renault and Peugeot have often fallen into this area. I also know of a large petrol engine Jeep owner who tows a 1000kg Triton and there is some question regarding the legality of it.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:29 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 995 Posts

Some confusion here.

According to the Honest John specification database the Bipper Tepee auto has a 1399cc diesel engine with no max. towing weight listed, which usually means that it cannot legally tow, though sometimes they've just missed out the towing figure. However the former sounds more likely as all the manual versions do show a towing limit, which is 600kg. So I'm not sure where the figure of 1000kg comes from but I'd recommend checking the car's mandatory weight plate as Colin suggests. There should be four weights shown. The two lowest are front and rear axle limits, the second highest is the Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) i.e the max. the car can legally weigh and the heaviest weight listed is the Gross Train Weight (GTW), the max the car and any trailer can weigh. You take GVW from GTW to give you the towing limit, in most cases. If there's no GTW shown then the car cannot legally tow anything. If it is the case that the auto versions can't tow , whilst the manual version can then it's likely that Peugeot consider the auto box can't handle the stresses involved.

PS I've also checked the C&MC database and that shows only a 1.4 auto but with a 600kg towing limit. However the Citroen and Fiat versions of the same car are listed with 1.3 litre engines, so maybe Peugeot marketed a version with the smaller engine but it doesn't feature in databases.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:57 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:50 pm
by Coutel (deleted)

Thank you. Some confusion here.
Referring to the V5 (model Peugeot Bipper Tepee Outdoor HDI S-A 1248cc)
it clearly says braked towable mass is 1000Kg (unbraked 400kg).
The owners handbook also says 1000kg braked.
Couldnt find the plate on the vehicle.

Last edited Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:52 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:01 pm

Well that is that you call a result then as it is on your V5. Your options have now opened up and a Pan or Famila are also legal, although progress would be glacial.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:21 pm
by Coutel (deleted)

Found the plater/sticker on passenger side door.
Does not state GVWR etc but just reads ;

Max Allowed Axle Loading Front : 950kg Rear :950kg

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:24 pm
by Coutel (deleted)

Yes, think I prefer to keep it 850kg or less to give some wiggle room so a Puck should be fine (I think)

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:59 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

I think legally it is the VIN plate that specifies the various weights and that is what any official would look at.
Steve.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:17 pm

I would agree, but if the V5 has a towing weight then I would be happy to proceed. I always carry a photocopy of my V5 in the glovebox, not for this reason but just out of habit.

Colin

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:30 am

All vehicles have to have the VIN plate with the four weights (more if you have three or more axles). Without it it's illegal to run a vehicle on the road. So somewhere the Bipper will have those weights, which, as Steve says are there for enforcement officers to access.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:17 pm
by Coutel (deleted)

Found the plate hidden underneath some trim in rear cargo area.
There are four weights but the words GTW Gross Train Weight and GVW Gross Vehicle Weight are not used.

1710 kg
2710 kg
1- 950 kg
2- 950kg

First figure 1710 kg must be GVW
Second figure 2710 must be GTW
and the last two and front and rear axle weights

Subtract GTW 1710 from GVW 2710 gives 1000kg = Maximum towing capacity must be 1000kg (as identified in V5 and owners manual).

1000kg max

So ideal deal towing weight I am looking for are:
85% = 850kg
75% = 750kg

Thanks

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:52 pm

Wells it's in black and white on the V5 and the vehicle so you can do it. As it says 1,000kg then you have opened up the possibilities on what you can legally tow. Whatever you go for progress will be slow, but a Pan or a Familia should now be a consideration.The extra space one would offer would feel luxurious.

Colin

likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:04 am
by eranjiba (deleted)

Hi. I'm new on here. I'm seriously looking to buy an Eriba soon, probably a Puck as I've never towed anything before. Scary times ahead! I've being doing the same research as Coutel - working out towing weights and allowances. Nightmare! The weight info my car is like Coutel's - not that informative to the uninitiated! - but I confirmed it elsewhere. I have a Citreon C3 1.2 and after doing the maths it is apparently capable of towing a Puck. But will it get up the hills ok...? Is it ok to admit to being nervous??

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:43 am

Have you been onto www.whattowcar.com
If you input your data the results are promising. It is usually a very good guide of what to realistically expect.

Colin

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:39 am

The mandatory weight plate has to follow international rules as far as format is concerned and doesn't have words against each weight because there are so many potential languages. The first one and obviously the heaviest, is the train weight limit , the second on the listing and second heaviest, is the vehicle's weight limit and the other two are the axle limits.
The towing limit is usually the product of taking the second limit from the first.
To muddy the waters somewhat, some manufacturers, notably, but not exclusively Peugeot/Citroen occasionally give a towing limit in manuals etc that is higher than the figure obtained by using the two plated weights. In such a case it means that if you do tow a higher weight trailer you have to reduce the max the car can weigh and conversely, if you load the car to its max, then the towing limit has to be reduced accordingly. The prime point is that the plated weights must never be exceeded. It looks as if neither of the vehicles mentioned in this thread suffer from that particular issue though.

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0