Isabella Shadow 360 on a Troll

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:47 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Today we tried out our new Isabella Shadow 360 on our Troll and it fits. There was a school of though by some that part of the additional length would have to be cut back at the awning rail but that is not so, at least on the pre 2009 Troll models.

The white plastic stiffening extrusion is far enough away from the awning bead and it is also flexible enough to round the curve of the eriba front or rear when sliding in. Once the Sunshade is in position the stiffener is almost straight. Also the overall measurement of 3600mm is a total across the awning bead and the actual measurement of the "Canvas" is 3560mm.

I'm not sure if the greater curve on pre 2009 Trolls as opposed to the tighter curve on post 2009 models helps or not but I can say that when first feeding the "canvas" into the awning rail slot, the stiffener and "canvas" point skywards.

I have exchanged friendly Emails with Isabella however as I'm concerned that the fabric on the new shade is not as stiff as the fabric on the shade we bought in 2016. Considering our new one is 600mm longer and taking that into account, the weight of the fabric is the same and Isabella has assured me that there has been no specification change in the fabric since we purchased our last one.

We'll just have to suck it and see.

SIMG_2364.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)SIMG_2363.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)SIMG_2362.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Couldn't fit the third pole as some ****** has parked his Eriba in the way

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Poptop320 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:55 pm | Scroll up

RE: Isabella Shadow 360 on a Troll

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:01 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

it looks a good fit Randa.

Should be nice and secure at ends with some Isabella (or other) rail stops

Mike

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:23 pm

No need for rail stops Mike. A guy rope fixed at each end of the awning bead will stop lateral movement.
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:17 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Didn't think of that Randa

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:28 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Looks just the job that Roger Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:14 pm

One thing to report is regarding the 3.6 metre long Isabella Shadow. I’m still not convinced that the fabric is a stiff as it was in the past. OK, we have had windy conditions and no rain so let’s see how it goes. The extra length however is of great benefit on the Troll..

What we are currently trying is rather than forming a gully with the centre pole to run the rain off, someone on Eribafolk facebook said that with his 3 pole canopy, he shortened each pole to slope the fabric so that the rain water ran off the corner and not the middle. We have set this up here although no rain at the moment. We extended the third pole of the 3 same length poles provided with the 360 by taking the foot off one of the poles and sliding it into an aluminium pole cut to about 600mm long and of a suitable diameter. Bottle corks were placed into the aluminium pole up to about 100mm from the top.

Also we are trying our extension front rain guard/sun guard to see the effect. It's made from similar fabric to the Isabella and is slid over the pole tops under the Isabella and tied to the guy ropes. It does make it a bit gloomy underneath but we think it'll give us extra protection from any rain. It can be added or removed quite simply in less than 5 minutes.

S IMG_2436.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)S IMG_2438.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:41 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:04 pm

Although we have not had to use our extension front yet the 3.6 metre Isabella Shadow is doing a grand job . Plenty of shade and on two occasions where we experienced thunder storms it worked just as well as the shorter 3.0 metre one did by shortening the centre pole but we still had the extra length to sit out. Like the old one, we have added extra guy ropes to make it more sturdy in the wind.

Money well spent.

Randa

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 19, 2022 5:12 pm

For recent results on the success of the 360 and its shade/shelter extension please follow this link:- Randa's Me and hers 2022 (7)

We are completely sold on this extension idea even for the smaller lengths of canopy.

Randa

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 23, 2022 6:21 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

What length would be the max you could fit on a 2005 Triton? i'm keen to have one for quick/hot weather stops, but am keen to maximise the area covered. A Troll is 1m longer, so the awning rail will be the same; is that correct? So a 2.6m Shadow? Do they exist? Or could you manage to fit a 3m Shadow? Then again, I have just bought a 340 Pop Air Pro that is designed for a Triton, whilst the Troll version is a 365 - is that a length, or just a number?

Yes, I know I could measure my awning rail, however the van is under a cover, in a storage facility - and I'm lazy...

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 23, 2022 7:11 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

A 3m Shadow is the perfect fit on our Triton. The 340 designation of the Kampa Pop-Air relates to the floor width.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 23, 2022 8:07 pm

Yes as Colin says,the 3 metre Shadow is a perfect fit on a Triton.
It is however only a two pole arrangement.
We added a third pole ( adapted Wilco line prop £3.00) to help strengthen and stabilize the fit in windy and rainy weather.
A simply but effective solution.
Randa

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Mon May 23, 2022 8:12 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 27 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0