Awning for a Triton 420

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:42 am
by Digby (deleted)

A month ago I'd have laughed at you if you'd suggested I may want an awning.
However on our initial shakedown trip to Northumberland this week, we have been looking with envy at other peoples setups.
The weather is not good at the moment so despite having the space of the Triton 420 and a VW California, we also have 2 small children and my daughter joining us.
We've sorted the sleeping out but we're carrying a lot of "stuff" which could be better stored in an awning (2 kiddy bikes for starters, bbq equipment etc.)
It would be nice to have an external weather proof eating area for the family too.
My wife has been looking at the Dometic Air Pro 365 with a mad "I want one" look in her eyes.
Price makes my eyes widen though.

Anyone have experience of the Kampa Rally Air Pro 260L on a Triton ?

Scroll up

RE: Awning for a Triton 420

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:00 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

I don't think it will work. You need the Eriba specific "Pop" version. Also, you need a Pop Air Pro 340 for a Triton - the 365 is for a Troll (and it's too long for a Triton's awning rail.

I've just paid out for a new Pop Air Pro 340 (gulp) and am looking forward to trying it out - have seen other people's, which is why I forked out for one. I have mainly bought a new one because i had to get a post 2019 version in order to be able to zip in a bedroom annexe. The pre 2019 versions only have a zip out front. Reading other people's posts on here about them you definitely want a post 2019 model if you have a modern Triton (post 2010?), as they have a higher rail height and don't work well with the "older" Pop Air Pros, causing problems with the awning pulling out of the awning rail. The newest version corrected this problem, so I am told.

If you have an earlier Triton than 2010 and don't need a bedroom annexe off the awning, then there are some second hand "first edition" variants of the Pop Air Pro 340 for sale at much lower prices (or at least there were...). Try Ebay, Gumtree and CMC website amongst other places.
Hope you find what you are looking for,
Simon

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:46 pm
by Digby (deleted)

Thanks for that - I think you've just stopped me making a bad mistake

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:54 am
by GrandpaP | 35 Posts

sent you a pm.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:44 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Hi Digby

You may have read some of my various previous feeds about the PopAir 365 which we have had on our Troll for a number of years (too long for your Triton).

We have had a love-hate relationship since we got it when it first came out. GrandpaP is right in that the newer models post 2019 are the ones to buy as they sorted out a lot of the glitches with the original ones.

We are in a "love" period at the moment as we have just taken our two grandsons with us to Burrs C & MC site at Bury and the large extra space proved brilliant in the dodgy weather, when at one stage we had six of us eating in the awning as it lashed it down. It was also so stable in the heavy wind.

We also think that we may have been slightly underinflating the air poles in the past - we have been playing with putting extra air in the tubes on the drive at home and it looks better.

They are a lot of money to buy but ours is into its fifth season and still going strong. Just re-proofed the keder rail material last week so we'll see how well that has worked to stop slight dribbles down the side of the van in very heavy rain.

Good luck

MikeT

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:47 pm

Not sure at what point to treat the keder rail material as you mention. Does it need doing from new? Or is it a couple of seasons in? Happy to do it on first trip away, but don't want to bother yet if it's just deterioration in the proofing with use...?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:15 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.307 Posts

I've had Eriba awnings since 2003 and they all let water dribble down the side of the van. Water gets trapped in the awning track groove, soaks the awning cord and runs down the side of the van. This is particularly the case with new awnings. You cannot solve this issue but you can greatly reduce it. The genuine Eriba trim that clips onto the gutter helps, as does the Seals Direct version. Do NOT buy the Kampa version. Soaking the awning cord in fabric proofer helps and I amongst others have found this a good idea. Some have found blobs of blue tack in the awning channel stops water running back into the cord.
The one method that I am confused about is siting the van at a slight incline. The theory is if one end is low the water will run away. But to me that means the other end will be high and water will want to run down into the channel and cord.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:16 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:31 am

I have already bought the Seals Direct version - and trial fitted it.Goes on well. Will also make sure I pack some blu-tak in the tool box... On various building works i have done it has always amazed me how far water will travel where there seems to be no gap - and how much height it will go up. In fact a small gap is worse than a big one as water loves to travel by capillary action. Leonardo da Vinci was the first recorded person to observe capillary action, so we have been battling it for a long time.

Which fabric proofer do you find works?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:37 am

Just found this:

"A practical application of capillary action is the capillary action siphon. Instead of utilizing a hollow tube (as in most siphons), this device consists of a length of cord made of a fibrous material (cotton cord or string works well). After saturating the cord with water, one (weighted) end is placed in a reservoir full of water, and the other end placed in a receiving vessel. The reservoir must be higher than the receiving vessel. Due to capillary action and gravity, water will slowly transfer from the reservoir to the receiving vessel. This simple device can be used to water houseplants when nobody is home."

I think that is a pretty accurate description of an awning cord and is undoubtedly a major factor in water transfer from the drainage channel to the side wall of the caravan! I'm going to trial using an old length of awning cord to water my houseplants next time we go away!

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:22 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

I'll pass this on to the gardener in the house...............................it sounds much cheaper than paying the teenage lad over th e road to water when we are away...

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:11 pm
by Andy B (deleted)

I've got a Kampa Pop Air Pro 290 for sale for £395. Used it for two weeks on my Touring 420 GT during Covid when we all had to be a more self sufficient. Very good condition.
Also an Isabella sun awning for £45 (good condition).
And a hard-to-get Thule Bike Carrier Drawbar Adapter for Eriba Touring (unused) for £85. It allows you to fit a Thule Suberb Short or Thule Smart Short caravan cycle carrier on the drawbar of an Eriba Touring.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:12 am

Is that a Shadow 300 Isabella sun awning? I will definitely buy it if it is - and it's still available :-)

Simon

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105652 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3