Roof holding down clips

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:41 am
by MartinRobbo | 8 Posts

Just thought I’d ask if anyone else had experienced both front roof clips snapping off and the front of the roof popping up on the motorway! More details available if anyone’s interested…

Scroll up

RE: Roof holding down clips

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:46 am
by Erik (deleted)

No, but it sounds an awful experience.

MartinRobbo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:03 pm
by MartinRobbo | 8 Posts

Not great, to be honest. I had checked the roof clips were on and screwed shut but heard what we thought was a bump in the road surface. Checked the wing mirror and the front of the roof was up so slowed and stopped on the hard shoulder. Both clips had sheared so the front section of both was on the floor. There was no getting the front down so limped off at the next exit. Unscrewing the back retainers allowed us to unclip the back, put that up and then bring the front down, swapping a clip from the back to hold one corner and strapping the front handle to the cupboard framework allowed us to gently proceed! Leisure First, bless them, sorted out two new clips within 48 hours and all was fixed. Lesson learned though - from now on I’m strapping the front handle down to a g-clamp on the worktop (we have a Familia 320 with the kitchen at the front).

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:20 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Martin, how old is your van? Before they changed the roof design in 2010 it did not matter whether the front or back of the roof went down first and I do not recall hearing of any snapped clamps. Post 2010 you have to put the back down first and I recall a few reports of broken clamps. When I collected my 2017 van new I do not recall the salesman making it clear about the roof instructions.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:57 pm
by MartinRobbo | 8 Posts

Hi Colin. It’s a 2015 van, though purchased second hand in 2017, and we always (as instructed when we picked it up) put the front up first and the back down first then clamp when it’s all flat.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:12 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

Does anyone know the reason behind the “front up first and down last rule”?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:41 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

The roof on post 2010 vans is longer and has a slight beak to its front. If the front goes down first it will hit the roof.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Captain Calamity and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:02 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Interested to know if anyone has retro fitted the screw down clamps to an older model - I wonder if the screw clamps are to try to prevent air getting up and under the roof while in motion following the change of shape.

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Tilly pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:35 am
by GCL | 122 Posts

I happened to break the front hooks. We were in the Baltic countries, on the way back, when I heard some shocks. Upon inspection it was found that the front hooks of the roof, of a puck 120 year 2003, had broken. I didn't think about replacing them with the rear ones, I took some ropes and packed the roof.

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:55 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

We had this happen to our front roof clips 3 or 4 years back on our 2012 Troll.
The reason it happened, after inspecting the roof I noticed that the rubber roof seal has squashed over the years and this effectively lowers the roof. Looking at the catches inside (after fitting new ones) showed them not to clamp the roof down tightly leaving room for the roof to lift. Once air gets under the front of the roof at speed it eventually puts too much stress on the plastic catches and they break.
I fitted a new roof seal and the catches clamp tightly again and no problem since.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20180502_210236.jpg 
 Roof catch.jpg 

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet

, Simboc2004 and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:17 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:52 pm
by Bobb | 108 Posts

Jandi called these ‘Tie Downs’ Hymer called them POSITIONSLEUCH part number 2709198.
2 of my plastic end pieces snapped off last year so I replaced all 4.
On one of them the 2 screws had more or less rotted and I could not get a good fixing into the wood frame. In the event I plugged the 2 holes with 2 matchsticks and Gorilla glue - no problem.
They cost about £25 each….
Bob

Audi Q3 2.0 TDI S Tronic with a lovely 2006 Triton 420GT
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:41 pm
by HenryL (deleted)

Yes I had this happen to me in Spain 3 years ago. The temperature outside was in the mid 40s centigrade. Had to tie the roof down and travel slowly stopping at every service station to refit. JandI said this had never happened before in their experience and got Hymer to courier the relevant part. Hasn’t happened since.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:56 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Just a thought on this - when I raise the roof all the clips are removed before lifting and likewise not refitted until both ends are down. This avoids any angular strain on the clip. Also I make sure that I do not 'snap' them into place over the bevelled edge of the retainer on the roof rim.

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:51 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

I changed our roof seal to a new Seals Direct one (as recommended on here) and the roof clamp down is much stiffer now - it sits really snug against the clips.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:49 pm
by PATRICK MCMANUS (deleted)

Good Morning
Do you have any idea who might have these .I'm in the US and I sure can't seem to find this parts here .Can you point me in the direction who might have them and ship to the US ?

Thanks Patrick

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0