Replacing a gas pigtail - any gotchas?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 19, 2022 11:13 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Went to connect up gas for first outing in new old van. It has a new regulator and pigtail, but on connection to cylinder gas was leaking at the cylinder end when I opened the valve.
Replacement pigtail on the way, but just wondering if there's anything to watch out for when replacing. It looks like there's some kind of white paste just peeking out of the join pigtail/regulator - I thought it was PTFE initially but it isn't. I gather the regulator end is standard right hand thread.

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

RE: Replacing a gas pigtail - any gotchas?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 19, 2022 5:36 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

My comment bInned .. talking garbage as usual!

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Last edited Thu May 19, 2022 5:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 19, 2022 10:36 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Hi,
Has the existing hose connector got a rubber seal rather than the brass ‘bull-nose’?
If so, they can have a tendency to not seal at first; if you connect then open the valve then close it again you should be able to nip up the connector.

Alternatively, It could be the cylinder which is causing the bad seal.

For fitting the new pipe you can buy leak detector fluid or aerosols from Screwfix etc. Hope you get it sorted.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 20, 2022 7:09 am

It's the bullnose brass connector. After trying to connect a couple of times I noticed that the rounded end of the nose was not showing the polished ring that would appear with a clean seal. Replacing the pigtail is FOC as I only got this van in March. The gas was a replacement from our old van in 2018 that never got used.
Am collecting some gas leak spray from Screwfix this morning as it looks like a 'good idea'
If that doesn't wok then I'll have to hack around the local suppliers for a replacement cyclinder......

Last edited Fri May 20, 2022 7:09 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 21, 2022 11:32 am

OK - changed pigtail, still leaking so it must be the valve on the cylinder - annoying as I bought that as a refill back in 2018 - never used so never tested.

Neighbour had half used gas cylinder - the other one from my old Triton. Still has gas - connected up and all good - so the brand new looking valve on the Calor 3.9 was dud....oh well I guess I'll have to vent it then talk to the local Calor people.

Last edited Sat May 21, 2022 1:35 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105662 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0