Caravan value for insurance renewal

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 25, 2022 4:58 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Its coming to the time shortly to renew my caravan insurance. My caravan is 320GT with a good motor mover & electric water heater & reasonably mint condition. The question is how much would a replacement cost me on new for old as i don't think my present value would cover it.
My present insurance is with Caravan Guard, any one had good or bad dealing with them?

Scroll up

RE: Caravan value for insurance renewal

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed May 25, 2022 5:22 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

You have not given the year of your van. Some companies will not offer new for old on new policies if the van is over a certain age. If they do then you can get an exact value by using the on-line configurator on the Eriba site. https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/configurator/touring#/

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

monoboard likes this post!
Last edited Thu May 26, 2022 8:34 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 26, 2022 8:33 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Hi Colin
Mines a 2015. Hell scary, i've just been on the eriba config thing & wow. You would think a battery would be standard but battery and gubbins £730, motor mover £2,730

but the overall price they come up with is scary. Better have a word with insurance company, the thing is do you insure for what you paid (when it was 4 years old) or the new price & get inflated insurance or pay it & then find they wont pay out on new for old. I don't trust insurance companies

Last edited Thu May 26, 2022 8:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

On cars they will only pay the current value and ignore your valuation. Although you may be able to challenge theirs. AKAIK. New for old is normally on almost new cars.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 26, 2022 10:29 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

makes you wonder why they offer the new for old on caravans & don't tell you/say anything when your asking for a quote/taking the policy out even though you've told them age & details, they'll still take your money!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 26, 2022 4:33 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I got a shock when I was with the Caravan club insurance for my 2015 Familia 320GT, they had it insured for the basic price which was about 3K less. When I told them how much it actually cost to renew my insurance shot up significantly.
The prices are now frightening, to buy the same 320 and put on the same accessories it would cost me £25k and then add the motor mover. How can you charge £170 for 4 cushions that would cost you £12 from Dunelm??

I think most caravan insurances have an age limit for old for new, I am now with caravan Guard.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Thu May 26, 2022 4:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 26, 2022 4:43 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2
You have not given the year of your van. Some companies will not offer new for old on new policies if the van is over a certain age. If they do then you can get an exact value by using the on-line configurator on the Eriba site. https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/configurator/touring#/
Colin

Usually when you buy a new Eriba there is also £1k delivery charge added from the Hymer factory in Germany to the UK.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Thu May 26, 2022 4:43 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu May 26, 2022 4:50 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I've just done the CMC insurance for a new van. They give you the option of new for old or old for old, or whatever it's called. You have to give the current price for a new replacement van if you're going for new for old. If you go for old for old you have to provide a current valuation.
One thing to remember when using the Eriba configurator is that Hymer have always charged way over the top for a factory fit mover. For their price you'd expect gold plated and encrusted in diamonds. Most, if not all UK dealers, will get a mover fitted for £1,000 or so.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri May 27, 2022 9:48 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Its coming to the point where eriba don't deserve our business, on the configurator i got to in excess of 27,000 & that didn't include the electric water heater i had added when i bought it. In this day & age having a battery + gubbins to go with is as an extra it is a joke. Every conceivable normal thing ££ its a wonder they don't charge for wheel nuts. I better keep looking after my present one!

Rant over, i will see what figure Caravan Guard come up with for the renewal in July particularly when i give them the new figure/valuation !

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Fri May 27, 2022 9:50 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2