Herzim Trim - Silver Paint ?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:05 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

Hi,

last year when motor moving our 2015 Eriba 430 it kissed our rough stone wall and put some nasty scrapes/marks on the metal part of the rear corner Herzim strip.

I carefilly filed/sanded the strip to make it nice and smooth in the affected area and hoped the now shiny metal surface would weather/oxidise down to match the rest of the metal trim, but it hasn't.

So, can anyone recommend an aerosol silver paint code or something so I can buy some pain, mask and spray the small area so it closely matches the original metal of the strip ?

20220601_115101_resized.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Thanks in advanced for any advice

Scroll up

RE: Herzim Trim - Silver Paint ?

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:40 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Some aluminium paint or similar perhaps? I think I would betempted to touch it up with a small brush

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:56 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

I do not think you are going to hide the mark, but you can do a decent job drawing the eye away from it with a small brush and generic silver paint.
I used an ancient small can of Humbrol Silver Fox from when the boys did model making to touch in chips on alloy wheels. Colour is decent and it resists wear well.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:22 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

I do a lot of model making and repair work and I have found the best, most authentic aluminium paint spray to be Plastikote Fast Dry Project Enamel - Aluminium. You can buy it in small 100ml cans from Wickes and other places. You can also buy it in brush on form, although i haven't tried it, so can't say it's as good as the spray.

If you want a really shiny chrome finish, then the best I have found (by miles) is Humbrol Acrylic Spray 191 Chrome Silver. Spray on only

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Sparks likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:33 pm

Here's a picture of the colour and finish of the Plastikote aerosol spray - This was sprayed onto light grey Lego bricks and gives a really good aluminium effect, I think.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_9408 copy.jpg 
 IMG_9408.JPG 

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:05 am
by Spapro (deleted)

Thanks for the advice guys, might try the Plastikote aluminium spray, thanks for the photos Simboc2004

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:45 pm

No problem. Hope it works for you. I never cease to be amazed how many "silver" and "aluminium" paints there are available that are, quite frankly, rubbish...

Simon

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:52 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

Just wanted to follow this up, I used the Plastikote Fast Dry Project Enamel - Aluminium and am delighted by the results, remains to be seen how it fairs long term but just done its a perfect match.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Eriba_Strip_Repaired_1.jpg 
 Eriba_Strip_Repaired_2.jpg 

Last edited Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:53 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:07 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

That is a great result. I'm guessing it is this one, so I've bookmarked it for future reference.https://www.powertoolsdirect.com/plasti-...-aluminium-59ml

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:10 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:18 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

Thats the one Colin, I cleaned the area with Isopropanol then masked the bits of the strip I didn't want to paint plus the surrounding area and rear bumper etc. Applied 2 coats in an up/down motion to avoid coming too far along the strip. Was a nice hot day and gave the first coat 45 minutes to dry before applying a 2nd coat.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105760 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5