Coupling damper identification please

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:18 pm
by RibaRoo (deleted)

Hello

Could anybody please help me identify which damper I would need to buy for our 1999 Eriba Pan Familia? I'm having a hard time trying to identify part numbers to purchase the correct damper. The coupling pushes in with a fair bit of force but doesn't come out again on its own accord. I'm going to attempt a hitch coupling replacement in a few days so I thought I might as well attempt to do the damper too whilst I'm at it.

IMG_20220420_103551 - Copy.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20220420_104001 - Copy.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20220420_104030 - Copy.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Many thanks

Dan

Last edited Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:21 pm | Scroll up

RE: Coupling damper identification please

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:38 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I am under the impression, probably after an input somewhere from our respected member JohnE, that if the damper does not push itself out, it is not a problem with the damper but with the drawtube bushes that need replacing or reaming out.

Which Alko Hitch coupling replacement?

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:19 pm
by RibaRoo (deleted)

Okay, if that's the case then I don't think that is something I'd be able to do as it sounds like a complex procedure. Will probably have to take it somewhere or see if there's anyone local who can come out to do it.

Dan

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:50 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Reaming out the drawbar bushes will cure the sticking damper fault providing the draw tube itself isn't damaged, eg bent due to the hitch being dropped off the towbar.

I seem to recall you had the problem when you bought the caravan back in April so you probably will be unaware of any such incident.

Perhaps you may want to consider replacing the complete coupling assembly for peace of mind. This wouldn't cost any more than reaming the bushes and replacing any faulty parts such as the draw tube and damper.

Al-Ko AKS161S Coupling

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:47 am
by RibaRoo (deleted)

Thanks JohnE - that seems like the sensible option to take for my peace of mind. I've already bought the AL-KO 161 coupling head, so I might try to return it and buy the complete assembly instead. I'm assuming it would be fairly straight forward to fit given it's only three m12 bolts and hopefully it will will come with a technical diagram showing correct torque rate etc. It's the handbrake cable removal bit I'd be unsure about. I'll have a think and will post back (at some point) and the route I took.

Dan

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:50 pm
by RibaRoo (deleted)

Update: I fitted the AL-KO 161 hitch coupling this evening. Had to make a 34mm slug and then it all seemed to go quite smoothly. Used fresh 8.8 bolts, washers and locking nuts torqued to 75 Nm as per the instructions - would it hurt to tighten them to 86 Nm JohnE? Fitted a fresh bellow, too. However, the bolts I used are 90mm long and stick out a bit so I'm going to get some 80mm bolts (and fresh nuts) so that the bellow fits over them neater.

With the bellow off I pushed the drawtube in and it did seem to slowly come back out - not by much distance but it did come out again on its own. Out of curiosity does anyone know how far the the coupling should travel in/out on this style of coupling? Anyway, for those who like photos, here's a few of the job so far. Will cable-tie the bellow down and grease and oil the hitch once the 80mm bolts have been fitted.

ALKO-161-Coupling (1).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)ALKO-161-Coupling (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)ALKO-161-Coupling (3).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)ALKO-161-Coupling (4).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:17 am
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: RibaRoo wrote in post #6
torqued to 75 Nm as per the instructions - would it hurt to tighten them to 86 Nm
Best to follow manufacturer's instructions.

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105760 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4