Suggestions for gas...

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:04 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

When I bought the Troll (2002) in Holland from the original owners in 2016, it came with a tank and half of Primagaz. Finally, after a week away off grid, I have had to switch over to the second (full) tank. Now, at the rate I use gas, it is probably going to last a while but with longer term touring starting hopefully next year, I need to think ahead as to what I should do next. As I understand it, Primagaz is only available in Holland, so swapping empty bottles might be tricky. What does the team think would be my best approach, assuming that one option would be to swap to a new system that I can more easily support in the UK..

Or, I could just start my next trip to Europe Harwich to the Hook and swap the empty bottle when I get there - though I don;t know what the process would be to do that - garage forecourt or caravan place etc?

Advice and suggestions very welcome...

IMG_4659.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

RE: Suggestions for gas...

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:49 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.010 Posts

Trying to start a new Calor contract in the UK is well nigh impossible and has been for a while. Refillable is a risk as a lot of filling places are withdrawing LPG pumps. I went for a 5kg lightweight Flogas cylinder which is freely available for new customers. They need a different clip-on connector but that's available from some caravan dealers or online.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:09 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Thanks Andy - any other suggestions or recommendations? The Troll is the first van I have ever owned so the minutiae of caravan gas supplies is still a bit of a mystery to me...

Last edited Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:11 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:41 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

I've been speaking to our local Calor depot since March and it's always the same - new hire? not yet... The Calor rep was there when I phoned yesterday and still no news.
So, I've ordered a 3.9kg Propane from Flogas. As I understand it these are completely interchangeable with the same size Calor cylinder. So I should wind up with one of each provided it ever gets delivered....

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:15 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

If you stay at sites with EHU you don't need gas. Get an induction hob for cooking (Lidl) and an electric heater of some description and you are sorted.

We only carry gas for emergency use and still have the original Calor Lite in the locker that we bought 11 years ago.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:42 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.010 Posts

What Mr Leeds and Liverpool says is true.

We only use gas for our hobs and a 6kg Calor lasts us at least two years, maybe three, so it's just buy one and almost forget it.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:40 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

We do use EHU sites, but making toast on the gas hob is part of the ritual - love the smell.

On a more serious domestic note - given the frequency of 12 hour + power cuts - it makes sense to have a viable alternative other than the top of the coal stove.

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:14 am
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

As I said in the original post, I have used very little gas in the time since I have owned the van, but last week I spent a week off grid and used up the remaining part-filled cylinder. I mainly stay on EHU but don't have a Lidl induction hob or an electric heater so gas is still a neccesity for me. With longer term touring in my future, the flexibilty of staying in non-EHU sites is something I see as important...

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:38 am
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

Hugh,
it would be worthwhile doing a bit of searching on what make bottles are available when you land in Holland. I believe in France the Cube type have a 27mm clip on regulator which I think is the same as one of the Flolight bottles available here in the UK. If this is the case you could carry one of each and just the one hose for an easy swap over.
The other option is obviously ditch what you have and run a Flogas with a 2.75L Campingaz 907 as your back up. We run a similar system

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:43 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

https://www.gaslowdirect.com/product/gas...dapter-01-1674/
https://www.gaslowdirect.com/product/gas...linder-adapter/
These will fit directly to you present regulator, supposing you can obtain either a Calor butane or propane cylinder.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:28 pm
by cabbie37 | 644 Posts

Thanks both. For the past few years, whilst working my way through the half tank that has just emptied, I also carried a 907 and regulator, planning on jury-rigging a replacement if I ever ran out whilst travelling. That may be the approach that I continue to take until the last Primagaz finally expires and make my decisions then. However, there has been some good food for thought here. Very helpful, thanks...

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1