Sink tap

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:00 pm
by wooliew (deleted)

It seems the only time I come on this forum is when I have a problem I hope that someone else has met and knows the solution, the same this time. First the history. I have a 2014 Triton. The sink tap started leaking so decided the easiest solution was to replace the complete unit. I fitted the tap, connected everything up, filled the water can, opened the tap, hallelujah water came out, job done or so I thought. Within about ten minutes the cupboard filled the smoke, the insulation on the two wires going into the tap started to burn and melt. Oh dear says I. Contacted the tap supplier who rightfully said the two wires went to a micro switch in the tap and the problem must be external to the tap. I am a retired electrical engineer so know a little about electrics so checked the caravan cabling out and everything seemed okay. I bought a new tap, this one a slightly different model and installed, connected it up and everything seemed hunky dory. Took the caravan on a trip and everything was fine. Today, went to the caravan to flush the water system out prior to a trip, everything fine, then exactly the same happened as with the previous tap, the insulation on the tap wires burned out. I have isolated that circuit on the terminal block under the wardrobe, it tests out fine, so I am sure as I can be the problem isn’t with the caravan wiring, can anyone help/advise. Does anyone have an electrical circuit diagram for a Triton? Apologies for the convoluted story.

Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:02 pm | Scroll up

RE: Sink tap

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:19 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

The connector block for the tap's microswitch will have a 2-core cable for the pump and a 2-core cable for the 12 supply.

Note that the wire colours are blue = 12V, brown = 0V.

The microswitch connects between the pump's blue wire and the blue 12V supply wire.

The pump's brown wire is connected to the 12V cable's brown wire, 0V.

A clear photo of the connector block and wiring would be useful.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:56 pm
by wooliew (deleted)

My suspicion is because the tap wires carry the full electrical load of the pump they aren’t man enough for the job and overheat.

Last edited Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:57 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:53 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Thousands and thousands of caravans and motorhomes fitted with microswitched taps use a similar gauge of wire as yours will have.

I'ts more than likely your pump is faulty and drawing too much current - try turning the pump's impeller and if it doesn't turn easily it needs replacing.
But even if it does spin freely it doesn't mean that the windings haven't burnt out and shorted.

Those submersible pumps usually draw something like 3 or 4 Amps when in good condition - the fuse for the pump circuits should be 5 Amps.

Ray Lawrence, Poptop320 and like this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:53 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:37 am
by wooliew (deleted)

Thanks Ray, will check the pump, really should have thought of that first rather than suspecting the tap. Do you by any chance have an electrical circuit diagram for a Triton?

Last edited Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:45 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105755 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1