Can anyone help me put this awning together ......

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:00 pm
by aquavit | 23 Posts

This is one of the awnings that came with our recently acquired Troll 550, it's a lovely bit of kit consisting of lightweight canvas top, sides and front (four pieces in all) and an aluminium frame. It has never been used!

Manufactured by REDA in the Netherlands, I sent an email to them asking for a frame diagram, they came back to me with this: "Unfortunately, we no longer have any documentation available for these models. These were made for shops in the past that no longer exist."

That leaves me having to figure it out myself, so far without success, here's where I'm at:

I have two poles with hooks on one end that clip in to plastic bits that attach to the awning runner once it's threaded in to the awning rail, the other ends of these I assume terminate with a flattened piece with a hole that the uprights with a spike at the top engage with and then locate in the canopy corner holes. The following photos may explain better than I can:

IMG_1913.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The "witches hat" is the bit that goes in the ground and is the bottom end of the spike that goes through the canopy:

IMG_1916.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Having got this far this is where I come to a stop, I can't work out what goes where and in what sequence. having tried to erect it with the canopy in place on the awning rail it seemed that there was no clearance above the door and any pole coming out from the van wall would prevent the door from fully opening.

Here's a shot showing the entirety of the canvas and poles, you can see I've put the top supports and corner uprights in place:

IMG_1910.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I also have this four legged spider thing that obviously takes four poles, but which poles and where does it go:

IMG_1914.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eevee likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Can anyone help me put this awning together ......

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:33 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

A bit of a long shot but I think your awning is supposed to look a bit like this:- g1p1-Troll-circa.html This is our Soplair Pyramid Awning.

The spider would be the top centre of the pyramid and the four pieces of fabric would be one roof and three sides. The rubber buffers would sit between sides and Eriba bodywork to act as a draught excuder.

So, slide the roof fabric into the awning rail of the Eriba and build the side eaves poles with hooks into those plastic thingies that you've already decided go into the awning rail. Why 3 though?

A pure guess based on the number of fabric pieces and the spider.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
aquavit likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:45 pm
by aquavit | 23 Posts

Thanks Randa, that does make sense looking at the way the roof fabric is stitched:

IMG_1915.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Maybe a spare plastic piece as only two needed?

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:48 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:29 am

So it looks like progress.

On our Soplair, the spider is pre-strung with the rafter poles and these are swung into place, fitting into each of the 4 legs of the spider. These rafters are each a two piece pole which slide in and out to adjust to final length needed. So presumably you'll need to find two piece poles that'll fit into the spider but not necessarily all identical as two of the poles need to fix to the bars with hooks near the awning rail and two somehow have to fix to the front uprights.

On our Soplair the two rear rafter poles have hooked ends that fit directly into the prefitted awning brackets with holes in them. The two front rafters fit into the front vertical upright poles. Now our Soplair is not complete as it does not have perimeter eaves poles but it also doesn't have sides (optional extras) so I cannot guess as to how these would be fixed if we had them. There is a flange with two holes in it welded onto each of the front uprights on ours which we presume has something to do with the perimeter poles.

This type of awning is a great awning to use with plenty of headroom and ridgidity. The sides can be added or removed as required. The reason we don't use ours much is because the poles are metal and are still very long even when folded down, making the awning bag cumbersome to carry about and pack in the car.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

aquavit likes this post!
Last edited Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:39 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:14 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Aquavit, Here is some photos of a similar sun canopy/awning that I have. Looks like the components are the same so these instructions might be helpful to you.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 15DB6520-DE99-4B12-84BE-8D804C08387C.jpeg 
 25A88EEF-B299-4727-B883-79DBFDA6D264.jpeg 
 7D215450-D1E7-4C10-B607-86B221464382.jpeg 
 CFEC8897-E3BE-4C69-BE19-24096FFC4399.jpeg 

aquavit, Randa france and Eevee like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:05 pm
by aquavit | 23 Posts

Thanks for your help Randa and GT runner!

I'm back on it. I now understand where all the poles go but it seems an impossible juggling act trying to put it together, even with two pairs of hands.

One difficulty I'm having is that the two plastic bits that go against the van wall, and retain the pole end hooks, have nothing to keep them in place. I'm relying on the tension in the side rafters to keep them in situ, but inevitably when I try and attach any additional poles it all comes crashing down.

It appears the rear spider poles are secured by clamps and the front have holes to go over the front upright spiked poles, this means three rafter poles attached to each of the upright spikes??

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:00 pm
by aquavit | 23 Posts

I've taken a screenshot from a REDA video, not the same awning as mine but it uses the identical plastic clips. Here you can see that the awning has a flap sewn in to accept the clip, this would stop the whole thing collapsing as mine does when I try and assemble the frame.

Maybe this is why the awning was never used!

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 16.56.05.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:19 pm

It's those bits that confuse me. Most awnings and canopies rely on brackets at fixed points, screwed into the awning rail like these:-
https://goodyears.co.uk/products/aluminium-awning-brackets-2

Here's a pick of one of them on our van with the hooked pole in situ. s IMG_4139.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

Last edited Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:20 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:41 pm
by aquavit | 23 Posts

Yes Randa, "fixed to something" is the crucial bit, mine would work if the flap with the requisite tubular bit had been sewn in to the roof canvas, as can be seen in my previous screenshot.

I've given up on this awning as it can't be fixed until such time as I can get to Reda, or someone else, to fix it.

It's on to awning number two tomorrow to see if I can get that working ..........

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:51 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi again Aquavit. Don’t give up on awning No1. You can easily get the metal fixing points online. These screw into the side of your Eriba, just under the awning rail. Have a look at the picture on Randa’s post. These will provide you with the missing link to the side of your van at which point you can enjoy a really good awning. However on a side note. If you do give up on awning No.1 feel free to PM me and I would happily buy it off you. Good luck with it, Robbie

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:53 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

The pads or mounts you have are I think designed to clip onto a double awning chord, as you have found out.
Isabella https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/outdoo...ket-2-pack-of-3 and Kampa https://www.campingworld.co.uk/en/gb/Kam...wcwQAvD_BwEmake suction awning pads that will work on a smooth sided van and are readily available. These may well do the job so worth a search.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:58 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:54 pm
by aquavit | 23 Posts

The saga continues. After the battle with the REDA I turned my attention to the Karsten Tenten inflatable awning, this is a much heavier weight of canvas and comes in three bags, one of which is the fibreglass poles.

IMG_1894.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

This one does go up, as the roof canvas has the requisite beading to accept the clips, but needs some fine tuning to get clearance over the door - I presume the door is meant to open all the way?!

I have a draught skirt for this although it needs a cutout for the step and seems very long, does one fold it under the van or under the groundsheet?

IMG_1935.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Having satisfied myself that this is probably going to have to be the one to take on my forthcoming trip to the UK I turned to awning number 3 and found a roof canvas labelled REDA! This appears to be a sun canopy with detachable sides and has the all important beading sewn in to accept the clips:

IMG_1931.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I managed to get this up using the aluminium poles from the full REDA awning with the exception of the centre front support and rafter for which I used a lash up of steel poles from another bag of bits that came with the van. I can't figure out a way of supporting the centre upright:

IMG_1933.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

IMG_1932.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The bag of bits referred to above:

IMG_1934.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I found another piece of canvas in one of the various bags, for which a pair of steel poles in the previous photo seem to suit perfectly:

IMG_1937.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Simboc2004 and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:55 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:15 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

Congratulations, you're getting there and seem to have an awning for every eventuality. As regards the skirt, I've cut these to allow the step to come out in the past, but no longer bother. If you are not 100% spot on with the cuts you have a mess. Unless weather is poor I doubt you will use the skirt much., I know we don't. We carry a cheap step in case we do use it, which also helps your other half in pulling the awning into place. You are also fortunate in having a deep skirt. This goes under the awning carpet, and as so much of it will be lying on the ground under the carpet you will not need to peg it down.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
aquavit likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 37 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1