Brakes

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:32 am
by Mr A W Boxall | 31 Posts

I have a 2006 eriba puck, it seems like the brake has got stuck. I can push the caravan back! but it will not go forward, any ideas.

Tony

Scroll up

RE: Brakes

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:40 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

It could be a problem with the auto reverse mechanism which releases the brake when (when reversing).

To dismiss this diagnosis you could jack up and test each wheel and both would be locked.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:50 pm

Thank you i will try.

Tony

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:10 pm

For safety have the caravan hooked up to the car to prevent it rolling off the jack.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:04 pm

Hi Steve, I have sorted the problem out. I pulled the damper out as far as possible, which released the brake. Thinking back 20 years i remembered this had happened before on another caravan.

Thanks for the tip anyway

Tony Boxall

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:44 pm

Sorry Tony, I think I gave you some duff info anyway. The car compresses the damper when braking which engages the caravan brakes. Reversing also does this when you don't want it to so the backward rotation of the caravan wheels overrides the brakes. That's why you could push the caravan backwards.

So your brakes were applied by the compressed damper. The thing is the damper is supposed to push itself out when not under pressure and yours isn't. I'm not sure if this is a problem or not.

Steve

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:03 am
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Maybe the hitch needs some maintenance. There are usually two grease nipples to lubricate the shaft.

I had a caravan once where the bushes inside the hitch seemed to have swollen, stopping the free movement of the shaft. I fixed it by removing the shaft and damper and reaming out the bushes a little.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:15 am
by Randa france | 12.864 Posts

Tony. Try it a few times as the damper should gradually pull back out of its own accord.

Is there still a lot of resistance with the damper when you push it in and does it return of its own accord? As Ray has said, grease both nipples on the frame. I'm currently going through brake problems and my caravan engineer has sort of dismissed the damper as my problem but I watched as he removed and refitted it.

There's also a "How To" thread here which would give you an idea of what goes on with the damper. How to replace the Eriba braking damper

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:17 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105592 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0