just got our new passport, 10 days in total from ordering at our Post Office

troll 530GT pushing Kia sportage awd
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Passport renewals.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:32 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Not a Passport renewal but related to renewing my driving licence:

I got my passport last year only because I wanted more ID proof, specifically to renew my paper driving licence this year (for free 😉) as I was aware that it is easier to renew a licence if you have a valid passport.

A good move because they took my photo and digital signature from my passport records and the licence arrived in 4 days.

I was a bit concerned about the signature because my new passport was not digitally signed (i.e. the signature already printed on it) and had to be signed on receipt. So where were they going to get the signature for my licence? It turned out they used the signature off the old expired passport from 2001. My handwriting has certainly deteriorated since then 😆 Pity they didn't use the old photo as well.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

scouteralf and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:11 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

Heard on Radio 4 the other day about an English lady who went to the USA on holiday with her family, on an existing US Visa, only
to fail the fingerprint test at Border Control and get deported back to the UK. So, a stable fingerprint is becoming increasingly important. With the EU moving to biometric testing at borders soon, it might well be one to be aware of. I think they are planning to use fingerprints? Or maybe retinal scans? As someone who teaches DT( and also does a lot of work on houses, cars and caravans), I'm not sure my fingerprints are very stable (indeed, I sawed off the ends of two fingers about 20 years ago and they are certainly not as they were before...)

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
SOULBLUESMAN68 and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:28 pm

The EES (Entry-Exit System) comes into force in all Schengen countries of the EU by the end of 2023 (was originally the end of 2022, then May 2023).This system will register the person’s name, type of travel document, biometric data (ie fingerprints and captured facial images) and the date and place of entry and exit. You will need to scan 4 fingerprints. This will, obviously, create huge delays when the system is introduced as everyone non-EIU will have to do the scans and get photos at ports and airports before embarkation.

According to the European Commission, the system will apply when entering 25 EU countries (all Member States apart from Cyprus and Ireland) and four non-EU countries (Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein) that are part of the border-free Schengen area.

There are particular concerns about how it will work at Dover and at the Folkestone Eurotunnel terminal.

Get it done early is my advice!

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:06 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

So we are off to France for Sept this year which means we have to do something, but how do we go about it?

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:20 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Just done ours online the price goes up on 2 Feb from £75 to £82.50 did not renew because of that it was time to renew. However if we had left it another couple of days would have been £15.00 extra for the two of us. Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.

Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:23 pm

The European fingerprints and facial capture will be done the first time you go abroad after the new system comes into effect. When that will be is anyone's guess, but I am hoping not August...

And you won't have any choice once it comes in - do it, or not enter the EU. There is talk of some kind of UK visa pass thing (with the info saved onto a chip) as a longer term solution, but it hasn't been finalised yet, nor even discussed as far as I know...

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:40 pm
by Old Rocker | 491 Posts

Think I read somewhere the visa will be launched in November

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:58 pm

That's the current plan I think, but they said end of 2022 initially (and that didn't happen) and then May 2023 (and that has been put off until November 2023)...

PooleDweller likes this post!
Last edited Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:25 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

WasOh dearOh dear Oh dear. Some months back while on my banking app I seccumbed to my bank's security mouth music and set up a biometric profile. The photo was taken 3 times before it was accepted. I never experienced any issues with the biometrics on accessing my main account. I have a couple of savings accounts with associated banking accounts - to keep transactions separate from the main account - then one day I set up a payment from one of the accounts. Before payment was authorised up popped the biometrics - frame your face and blink - nothing - try again - nothing. So I transferred funds into the main account and paid it that way. Recently I tried to make online changes to an account - up popped the biometrics - another failure. A phone call to the bank got the biometrics cancelled. Not an option at the customs post.

So our future travels to the EU may be in jeopardy. Oh dear.

Pat & Robin
2015 Eriba Triton 430GT, 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:46 pm
by Skoderiba | 209 Posts

Got mine back on Tuesday, 7 Working days from application online, and then posting, to receipt (by courier, which I had not paid the extra for) My expired passport was also returned 1st class post on the same day.
Exceptional service, only bettered by an application at Peterborough Passport Office some 40 years ago. I had been offered a job leading guided tours of the Loire and Dordogne valleys. It was only after I had accepted the job ( this was Wednesday, leaving for Le Havre on Friday) I realised my Passport had expired. So a quick trip up to Peterborough, explained the situation, 'No problem sir'. 2 hours later, on my way home with my new passport.
Incidentally, the only time it was looked at was on return to the UK at Plymouth.
Customs Officer. ' Passport Please'
Customs Officer. 'How long have you been away sir?
Me. '7 Weeks'.
Customs Officer. ' What is in the suitcase sir?
Me. '7 weeks dirty washing'.
Customs Officer. 'We wont detain you any further sir'.

Fortibus es in Ero

mr_underhill and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:29 am

I doubt computerised entry systems will be so understanding...

My wife wears glasses because she can't see much without them - when directed through E-gates coming back to the UK she becomes very unhappy, because you have to take your glasses off to be recognised, however, when she does, she can't read the instructions... what follows is that she gets somewhat shirty with the machines - and then with the human who tries to sort it. I'm surprised she's not on a banned list...

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:10 pm
by Old Rocker | 491 Posts

I read today that visa is now being put back to 2024

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:19 pm

There's a surprise! Hard to see how they can ever introduce it in one go - it'll need gradual introduction over several years (a bit like our E gates at airports, which are rapidly becoming the way you have to go, but which have taken a number of years to introduce).

I can't see how they can do the proposed checks in the traditional ferry terminal approach of all checks done whilst still in your vehicle - it may mean we will have to get out and go into a building, in the same way that coach passengers have to now. More building to be done - and more long queues?

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2