Passport renewals.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:09 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Just a Heads Up for those who are needing to renew their passports soon. We sent mine in for renewal last week and we've just had a message to confirm they have it and we should allow TEN WEEKS for it to be processed and returned (please don't call for updates)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

RE: Passport renewals.

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:25 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I applied online last April when there was a long wait and received new passport 3 weeks later.

Maybe online applications are quicker ?

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:33 am

Yes, probably and cheaper but why so? No staff (you know Human Beans ) to sort things out anymore. I needed to change my photo and we had already had new photos taken at the local train station which were not digital (there was a choice) . What a b****** palaver that was. Ten squids for 5 pics, all identical so no re-posing and no swapping over between shots and it took an age to adjust the seat to the satisfaction of the machine. Argggg
On the same day we visited the Bank, you know that building that once held money and staff. All we wanted was a few new ten bob coins with his Royalty head on them to give to the grandchildren. One old bloke at front of house apologising that they can't do that anymore as it is all automated
AND don't talk to me about the Land Registry, the once public facility to ask about title deeds, propery boundaries etc who are now not open to the public since Covid.
Stop the World, I want to get off......
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

scouteralf, SOULBLUESMAN68 and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:44 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:56 am

I'm about to renew my paper driving license for a photo one online, I'll let you know how I get on. Maybe rename this thread to "renewals", light the blue touchpaper and stand well back.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:36 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

Pre happy retirement Mrs eribaMotters worked on Post Office Counters in a Waitrose branch. Even 6 years ago the system was hit and miss with passports taking a few days to 12 weeks.
If you can go on-line then it is the best route. failing that pay the extra "check it facility" that some Post Office Counters offer and it will go through more quickly.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:32 pm
by scouteralf | 114 Posts

just done ours at the P/O in and out in less than 10 minutes, Brilliant

troll 530GT pushing Kia sportage awd
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:45 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

I think the issue is that a lot of staff are still working from home. Obviously they can deal with online applications. Postal ones require a human to sort the post and distribute to the reduced number of workers who are actually on the premises. I may be wrong but this is what I’ve been told 🤔

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
scouteralf likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:55 pm

Online applications automatically resize and digitise the photo and the application. The payment is automated and the email with your photo is sent to your trusted person to identify you and is also automated. That presumeably jumps the queue a few desks. Or maybe the IT crowd want to prove their new system is more efficient.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:21 pm

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #7
I think the issue is that a lot of staff are still working from home. Obviously they can deal with online applications. Postal ones require a human to sort the post and distribute to the reduced number of workers who are actually on the premises. I may be wrong but this is what I’ve been told 🤔

Oh poor people. It's a good job that retail staff at Morrisons and teachers, car mechanics, nurses etc don't work from home.

Zitat
Quote Steve and Debbie:- Online applications automatically resize and digitise the photo and the application. The payment is automated and the email with your photo is sent to your trusted person to identify you and is also automated. That presumeably jumps the queue a few desks. Or maybe the IT crowd want to prove their new system is more efficient.

I think you'll find that the Passport Office requires you to send a digitised photo for online applications. As for using someone to identify that it is you then we've had to pay out £240 for a solicitor that we don't know from Adam to fill out two forms identifying us from passport sized photos so that we can change some documents with the Land Registry. It took the solicitor less than 10 minutes to do so and the Land Registry would not accept anything other that a solicitor's say so. The LR have a b***** great office not 5 miles away from us that is probably empty.

Randa

Last edited Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:11 pm

This working from home lark is ok for some folk. I remember the doomsayers who told us that business would be going online and we needed to get with it. Neil replied that he wasn’t convinced that they’d ever be able to service/repair cars over the internet. Before anyone shouts, I know it’s possible for computers to fix faults remotely but it won’t work for welding or removing the brake pads etc 😁

Don’t get me started on solicitors and officialdom and its box ticking 😡

Randa france, Shady Pines and scouteralf like this post!
Last edited Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:58 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:27 pm

WOWZA !

My passport arrived back today, 10 days maybe rather than 10 weeks. Me thinks that there's someone in HM Passport Office that reads our forum. Eribafolk Pop Up Everywhere you know.

The 10 year passport lasts from the day of renewal but when we were members of the European Club didn't we used to get a forward date from when the old one ran out?

Randa

Last edited Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:55 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Talking of Solicitors and nice little earners................

we had a lovely friend of my dear old mum who In her will left a small amount to my brother & I. Things were complicated by her dear daughter who sadly had addiction problems and the will was structured for the majority of the estate to held in abeyance until she died.

When it came for the will to be settled some years later the solicitors demanded a letter from a solicitor local to us confirming my identity. They said that this was to follow anti "money laundering" regulations. What nonsense for such an amount................

I refused point blank as it would cost me more than the small legacy to pay for such a service. I emailed them a photo of my driving licence and a photo of a utility bill, and demanded payment. I heard nothing from them but got a cheque in full in the post the following week..

I must have come across as like that "I don't believe it" bloke from TV whose name I can't remember but I share Randa's frustrations.

MikeT

eribaMotters and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:44 pm

Roger, is your nice new passport issued in the name of the late queen or do they have new stock now? Ours were issued after her death but were still in her name , presumed they were using up old stock or hadn’t got round to printing them in the King’s name 🤔

Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:44 am

Mike T. I don't believe you have forgotten the immortal words of our Grumpy Old Git leader Victor Meldrew

Julie. No I'm still a citizen of Her Brittanic Maj.

An interesting point has cropped up and it affects one of our sons. He is travelling for a holiday abroad in about 6 weeks time. His passport doesn't run out until 3 months or so past his travel date. All good so far but...............................

His existing passport was issued early and the Passport Office took that into account by Forward Dating the expiricy date to July 2023 making the dates on the passport longer than 10 years.

Not good as this question apples and I quote:-

"Your passport must be: issued less than 10 years before the date you enter the country (check the 'date of issue') valid for at least 3 months after the day you plan to leave (check the 'expiry date')"

"When should I renew my UK passport?"

"It depends on when you plan to travel, but regardless you'll need to renew it before the passport is nine years and nine months old. If you have a trip booked or are thinking about one, check the dates on your passport now.."

Randa

Last edited Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:54 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:06 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

The 10 year passport lasts from the day of renewal but when we were members of the European Club didn't we used to get a forward date from when the old one ran out?

We got a text reminder in October that my wife's passport was due to run out. I reported it as a scam text because it broke all the rules for safe messaging, but it turned out to be genuine and is a new(ish) service to warn people that they have just 6 months to go to expiry (and you cannot leave the country without 3 months still left on it). This confused us because my wife's passport, we thought, wouldn't expire until November 2023 (as that is what it said on the passport), but actually it turned out it would expire in April 23... The problem is that any extra time you were previously awarded for renewing early no longer applies and all UK passports now run out 10 years from the date of renewal whatever is written on the passport. My advice to all is to check when they think their passport will expire and compare it to the issue date...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2