Suitable Jack for Eriba 540 troll

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 01, 2023 12:40 pm
by Richard Franklin (deleted)

Hi all
Happy camping. Any certain and tried and tested recommendations as to type/weight rating of Jack for our caravan?

Thanks guys

Last edited Mon May 01, 2023 12:41 pm | Scroll up

RE: Suitable Jack for Eriba 540 troll

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 01, 2023 12:59 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Richard, if your Eriba is pre 2010 then you may find an exposed open ended square steel tube just behind the wheels. This is not designed as a jacking point and was used at the factory to help in the manufacture of the chassis. You can and some of us have used this in an emergency. To do so you will need a Blistein or Mexico side lift jack that has a peg which fits in the tube. You may well need to adapt the jack if you can find one. I know Just Kampers used to sell them.
If your van is newer then your only option and a far safer one whatever your van age is to jack the van up on the axle, as close to the wheel as you can. Never be tempted to use the corner steadies to lift the van or jack it on any other part of the floor or chassis. A small 2 Ton trolley jack is ideal for the job and this is what I use at home. They are fairly large and heavy so I carry a double lift bottle jack and a piece of wood to sit it on. You are very limited in this option as the axle is fairly low and the only jack I'm aware of that will fit under it is a Coram. These were/are supplied with Land Rover etc. New they cost a fortune but second hand on the likes of e-bay or Gumtree you can pick them up for about £50. They have a bent U cradle type top that sits nicely under the axle. Just make sure it comes with the long lever bar.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 01, 2023 1:10 pm
by Richard Franklin (deleted)

Thanks Colin
Our van is 2023. I could get a scissor Jack on but would have difficulty winding up with the weight of the van on as the handle of the Jack would I think have to run parallel lengthways to the van. I think a bottle Jack would be ideal. Thanks for your suggestion.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 01, 2023 6:04 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

I have very recently bought a really good condition red Coram (Land Rover) jack on Ebay for £50. It had just been serviced and it works brilliantly; the cradle shape works really well on the round axle and the long two part arm reaches out well outside the caravan. Only slight downside is that it takes a long time to pump up as you can't use all the movement available in the arm - pump it up as far as you can before putting the bar in...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Mon May 01, 2023 6:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 01, 2023 10:12 pm
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

I have a side jack as Colin mentions that fits into the end othe square section chassis component by the rear wheels. £20 would buy it as I now carry a light weight aluminium trolley jack that I use for other reasons in my workshop. PLease PM if of interest. I am in Cambridge but it probably wouldnt be difficult to post if need be...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 01, 2023 11:14 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

My Puck has a piece of metal added to take a car scissor jack. (not by me!)

DSC04001.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) DSC04003.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 24, 2023 5:58 pm
by John Cross | 263 Posts

Our LR Discovery carries its own jack, that fits the axle.
Must have a look at the spare wheel carrier though, I know the lock works, but not sure about the central pin that others have mentioned.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 25, 2023 5:11 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

Disco 1 jack (made by Coram in Italy) is the one recommended by many for an Eriba axle - and is what i have bought for mine (pics attached).

Having a Disco 1 as a tow vehicle just means one less bit of kit for you to have to buy and haul around!

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 jack LR1.jpeg 
 jack LR2.jpeg 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Thu May 25, 2023 5:18 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105662 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0