Removing kitchen sink to fit new tap on Troll 540

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 29, 2023 7:12 pm
by Yeadonblue (deleted)

Hi everyone. We recently arrived in France, Troll is stored here at the moment, was looking forward to a relaxing week or so, but upon filling up the water circuit discovered a leaking kitchen tap. Duly took the tap out and tried a make shift repair with some PTFE tape which didn't work, so now having to make do with a bucket of water. Planning to replace the tap as upon removing the cartidge I found the internal wiring to the micro switch was shredded, plus the outer chrome plastic case has a small crack - I don't think they make the taps with servicing in mind. Removed the cutlery drawer to check out the access to the tap body fixing but it looks very tight, would be much better with the sink removed but I cannot see a simple way to do this, can any one help ? Picture of the sink attached, it's from a 2018 Troll 540 Touring
Alternatively if anyone can recommend an Eriba service engineer in the Eure / Le Mans areas of France please can you let me know.
One other maybe stupid question ; given the above scenario, does anyone know if there is a way to isolate the kitchen sink tap so that at least the bathroom tap can be used ? I tried opening and closing all the various valves but could not fathom out a way to do this without water spurting out from the kitchen tap when using the bathroom tap...any help / suggestions offered on the above will be gratefully appreciated.IMG_5161.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Troll 540 Touring shimmying along behind a Subaru Outback
Scroll up

RE: Removing kitchen sink to fit new tap on Troll 540

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 29, 2023 7:34 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I do not believe removal of the sink is really an option. To get the sink out I think you would have to remove the work surface. That would involve removing the hob and you've guessed it, the tap. I think the job is just going to be a pain.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 29, 2023 8:09 pm
by Yeadonblue (deleted)

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply, I thought as much but don't fancy ripping out the work top, back to the drawing board.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 30, 2023 11:09 am
by Islay | 220 Posts

I live in Brittany so can't personally recommend anyone but this place repairs caravans
https://www.europe-loisirs.com/contactez-nous/

41 route de Ruaudin
72230 ARNAGE (Sud Le Mans)

Do you speak French? If not, I can help you and call them.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 30, 2023 11:17 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Yeadonblue

We had a similar disaster in Spring 2021 when we came to use our Troll after overwintering under its cover. Frost had got to both taps and both were leaking. Like you we had to use a bucket for our first couple of trips.

I am useless technically so I got ALV at Tebay to replace them both as part of our annual service. It was expensive the Kitchen one was £70 and the shower £133.

The information that might be useful was that it wasn't a massive job I certainly don't remember them taking the sink out to do the kitchen one. The service and the job with the taps didn't seem to take any longer and we didn't have a massive charge for labour at all.

They obviously do it all the time (Hymer taps being what they are) and have got it off to a fine art. It might be worth you trying to find a local Hymer dealer in France and getting a costing.

I'm sure that there have been people on the Forum who have had the Hymer taps replaced with more robust ones but that is beyond me.

Hope you get it sorted. I can still remember that horrible feeling when I saw the water running out of the bottom of the kitchen unit.

Perhaps also need to say that since then we have been fanatical at trying to drain every drop of water from the system and then insulating it all over winter to a ridiculous level with bubble wrap and old towels. It has seemed to work so far.

Enjoy France

MikeT

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 30, 2023 5:08 pm
by Yeadonblue (deleted)

Hi Islay,
Merci for the heads up on the Le Mans company and also your very kind offer to give them a call. My French isn't too bad so will give them a bell tomorrow and see what they say.
Salut,
Steve

Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 30, 2023 5:11 pm
by Yeadonblue (deleted)

Hi Mike,
Your reply has lifted my spirits, or maybe that's just the Calvados working it's magic. Thanks for the advice, sounds like a trip to Tebay is on the horizon. .
Steve

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0