Waterproofing awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:04 am
by TravisTroll (deleted)

We're using our (pre owned)Pop Air Pro 365 for the first time. It's raining and we seem to have a couple of drips/leaks. They seem to be coming from the air tubing area, but there aren't any tears or holes visible to the eye.
Wonder if, once home and dried out, we need to waterproof the fabric somehow.
Anyone got any ideas or recommendations?

Scroll up

RE: Waterproofing awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:43 am
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

All awnings usually need a couple of good soakings before they behave as they should. The fabric around the needle holes will swell up and the holes shrink, making things more water tight. I'm guessing the problem at present is highlighted as the material around the air beams is being stretched the most.
You will never get 100% water tight as the vertical rise from the awning rail catches the water and you'll get a slight dribble down the side of the van. If you use the Seals Direct gutter strip this will help. I also used to spray the awning cord with a fabric proofer once the awning had received a few good soakings.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:04 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:09 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

On our first outing this year our pop air pro 365 leaked like a sieve from the roof and down the side of the van. I have since completely sprayed the awning roof with a good dousing of Fabsil and fitted a rain blocker strip to the awning rail.
Two weeks in Cornwall with some torrential rain at the beginning of this month and not a drop in the awning. Such an easy fix but I used almost a full tin of Fabsil it was really cheap.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:01 pm
by TravisTroll (deleted)

Fabsil! That's the stuff I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name of :) Thank you.
Does it get brushed on? Painted on? Sprayed on?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:50 am
by dinky | 211 Posts

303 or nikwax work just as well

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:23 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

I bought a cheap spray from our local garden centre. If you search on line you can get Fabsil for £14.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:07 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

My new 2022 PopAir Pro leaked on its first couple of outings last year, with trickling down the side of the van. I bought a Seals Direct strip - used that and also sealed the ends of the gutter where it finished with blu-tak. That sorted it and we have had no leaks since. I'm told that foam ear plugs work just as well- and are easier to remove!

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:42 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1