Bathroom door opening fix

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:57 am
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

Most of us know they can open whilst we are driving along. Some have unfortunately had the door open and then part company with framework during the journey. If we put aside our forgetfulness it would seem to be down to two things, the door latch not being positive and bathroom wall flex.

Some owners get around the problem by leaving the awning against the door, others have used a small sliding catch and others a hook & eye.

It would appear this opening is most likely to happen on vans with a front diner area as they offer less support to the bathroom wall. If you look at the top cupboard above the seat opposite the door in you may well find a gap between it and the bathroom wall, you may find a piece of timber packing.
You may be able to part solve the issue by making sure the packer in here is tight and screw through the cupboard side and packer into the bathroom wall. I did this on my 430 and it made things far more rigid.
Next step is some owners have a pin on the back of the door in the top corner. This locates on a metal bracket [that wears] attached to the bathroom wall. You can adjust this for a better fit, but need to take care. The van floor will flex and if you have put it into twist by over doing a corner steady then it will not be in the correct place. I lowered the legs on my Triton to just above ground, made the adjustment and then removed one of the screws and put a small bolt through.
In the 6 years I owned my Triton the door never opened on a journey, so I was either very lucky or the two fixes worked..

I've now got a Feeling and the wall does not flex, but the I've still got the door latch not locating very well. I've adjusted the hinges after the door opened on its maiden voyage but I wanted a 100% fool proof solution. I do not mind putting holes in my vans, but I wanted a solution that limited the number and could be removed and show little sign of intervention.
I decided on a turn button, the sort some of the more mature members will remember seeing on cupboard doors of simple cabinets.
The solution was a 50mm disc of 6mm plywood with a stubby length of broom handle on the back. A 6mm dowel off the centre line and a blob of glue holds the two together. I was going to screw this to the bathroom wall, but found I had a M6 stainless coach bolt in my fixings with a nice domed head. This goes through the centre of the broom handle dowel and a hole at the top of the bathroom wall. It's held snug with a stainless steel washer and locknut. I've added a felt pad to the reverse of the disc for a smooth fit against the door and a dowel pin so it cannot rotate out of place.
I did think of fixing it at the bottom of the door where it would be out of site but realised I'd walk into it. The 6mm hole through the bathroom wall can easily be plugged with one of those beige caps you get with kitchen units to go in unused holes if I ever wanted to remove the turn button.

Hopefully I will have success - Colin

55 - wrobe turn button 1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)56 - wrobe turn button 2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)57 - wrobe turn button 3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)58 - wrobe turn button 4.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)59 - wrobe turn button 8.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)60 - wrobe turn button 5.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)61 - wrobe turn button 6.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)62 - wrobe turn button 7.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Randa france, dinky, Simboc2004, Islay and HDI163 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Bathroom door opening fix

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:14 pm
by Randa france | 12.881 Posts

We use:-

One of these :- hold all.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

containing one of these :- coil.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Works fine and is normally the first thing out of the Eriba and the last thing in.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:02 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

am not sure whether should say,
was thought it was the wheels not being balanced that caused extra vibrations caused doors to open, in some areas the roads themselves need balancing! great rabbit holes in road also do not help.
no matter the cause this is a great fix to the opening issue.

eribaMotters, Randa france and HDI163 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:21 am
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Thinking of above comment on wheel balancing. Our new van does dot have balancing weight on the wheels. When we returned from our second test run away the lovely Mrs eribaMotters had left a washing up sponge, cloth and tea towel on the kitchen work surface. When we got home they had not moved.
For those who would like something a little more "factory fit" in appearance to keep th door in place, how about one of these:- Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/354981452380?...9&segname=11304

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:23 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:48 am
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

Hmm, you must drive very steadily. I got home from Norfolk last week to find I had forgotten to push down the lock button on the fridge and our Triton's (luckily) vinyl flooring was now wearing the fridge contents... I blame the new Norwich eastern bypass that has far too many roundabouts, with some very sharp turns in and out...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 37 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3