Bought a new Dometic (Kampa) PopAir with Annexe

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:26 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.119 Posts

People who have been on the site a fair time may remember us having a love /hate relationship with our Kampa PopAir 365 which we bought when they first came out. You may recall the design problems and the advice from Kampa to cut lengths off the Kedder rail to get it to fit. Lots of Eirba folk returned them to Kampa for a refund but we decided to persevere with ours, and the love outdid the hate......................!

Well we have now bitten the bullet and bought the newer model so that we could have a zip on annexe so that our two grandsons could have a private area of their own to stay with us. We hope to get 4 or 5 years of them wanting to come with us for a few days before their teenage years make it an uncool thing to do.

We are trying it out along with the annexe and canopy next week and will report back on if we think it is an improvement or not

Has anyone else used the annexe on a PopAir? We would be interested to hear what you think

MikeT

Simboc2004 and dinky like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Bought a new Dometic (Kampa) PopAir with Annexe

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:54 am
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

Congratulations on your new arrival and I wish you many happy tired nights with the grandchildren. Did you also get the front canopy. It is only small but a very useful addition.
We'll be thinking of you next week enjoying it's waterproof qualities whilst we are basking in the French sunshine. [hopefully]

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:34 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

We've been using a Conservatory annexe on our Dometic/Kampa Rally Pro 200 this season. An excellent addition which makes the awning space about the same as a full awning, just slightly narrower in the annexe, with the flexibility of just having the awning on its own if required.

20230529_140322.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte).

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:51 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

We used the annexe on our pop air 365 for the month of June. It was excellent. Together with the canopy the living space is maximised to the full.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:22 am

Thanks Colin - yes we did get the canopy as well.

Methinks we might get a bit more sleep than when they shared the double bed with Granny inside the Troll, whilst I was in the front single....................but who knows.

Normally I would be jealous of you being in France rather than Burrs Country Park (near Bury) but it looks like France may be having a major heat wave later this week - think I might find the Manchester light drizzle preferable to temps nearing the forties, still you are a Southerner again and used to the heat.......................!!!!!!!!

Enjoy yourself but be careful

Mike

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:15 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

We have used the PopAir bedroom annexe several times since we bought it last year (with a new PopAir 340) for our Triton. It is excellent and really easy to add or remove as necessary. Our 6'1" 25 year old son loves it - he says it's remarkable how little light it lets in (he's keen on lying in late...!). We also have the sun canopy, which is my favourite add-on. Really easy to fit and it keeps the sun - and rain! - off the entrance to the awning. I put the awning up even for weekends away as it is so quick to put up - and even quicker to take down!

We often unzip the whole front of the awning, giving us a big area of shade. Here's a couple of photos of us away in Norfolk last week.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_8642.JPG 
 IMG_8647.JPG 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

SOULBLUESMAN68, Williebraveheart and Darren like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:40 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:50 am

thanks Simboc these are great photos. Which site were you on in Norfolk?

Looking at the photos it is interesting to see that you have pitched the annexe oh the hardstanding. We were thinking of getting the annexe running onto the grass at the edge of the pitch.

We were wondering where it would leave us with the C & M club rules on pitching between the two pegs, when we would have the annexe and the canopy attached. We will see..............................wouldn't be the first interesting discussion with a warden!!!!!!!!!!

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:21 am

Poppyland in Thorpe Market, between North Walsham and Cromer. Lovely, quiet, adults-only site with fabulous owners (Eriba owners - though now a Nova, not a Troll). Their gravel standings are a really good size and they give you a grass car space on both sides of the hard standing area, so loads of room and you can pitch any way round you like. We have found CMC rules differently interpreted depending on the warden... Generally we haven't had a problem and they are happy for rotation of the unit to fit the pitch. But... we had a two year spell of motorhoming and had a continental layout Chausson. At the Exeter CMC site we were told we had to pitch nose in, despite this putting our entrance door facing another (UK layout) unit's entrance door.... There is a word my wife used at the time, but I'm not going to write it here, except to say it was very similar to "twit"...

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:26 am

I should also say the wide angle lens on my iPhone makes the bedroom annexe look really long. In reality it's not much longer than the A frame. This photo shows is a bit less "stretched" We are pitched here across the narrow dimensions of the rectangular gravel area.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_3027.JPG 

SOULBLUESMAN68 and Darren like this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:29 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:10 pm
by Johnboy (deleted)

I’ve just bought a kampa pop air awning and will try it out on my next trip but seeing that canopy is making me think that might be worth getting. Looks great

Seat Ateca Triton 430 2023
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:34 am

Used the new set up at Burrs this week with some very changeable weather and we are mighty impressed. Everything seems better thought through on it and it even seemed taller and more roomy.

We put up the awning first day and in the evening put up the front canopy. We were very impressed how easy it went up and how useful uit was in the showers, although not sure how well i t would stay up in strong winds. We would probably take it down if there were any.

We put the Annexe up next day after a bit of head scratching and thought. Not sure that we did it exactly right but it looked really good and the grandsons were taken by it. We bought a small groundsheet on Amazon to act as a footprint and that worked well.

The proof of the pudding will come shortly when we take the grandsons to the beautiful but usually windy South Walney Island site and they sleep in the annexe for real. I will report back on how we get on

Have taken some photos which I will attach when I get time.

So far a great success..........

MikeT

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:44 am
by Rachel Kemp | 20 Posts

What are all your arrangements for beds in the annexe? It’s too narrow for two air mattresses, so do 2 children share a double?

Erbie the 552
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:05 am

hi Rachel

We belt and braced it a bit as the grandsons were going in it........................................typical grandparents.

We bought a lightweight groundsheet from Anazon to use as a footprint under the annexe.

We then set it up and put an old large double blanket on the floor of the annexe to insulate it. We then have a self-inflating Vango Comfort 10 Double mattress from our days as tenters, that fitted the floor space like an absolute glove.

On top of this we put another old blanket. Then they slept in an Outwell Double Sleeping bag, again from our days as tenters.

In the end our daughter and 5 year old grandson slept in it, with the 8 year old preferring to sleep in the single bed in the Troll. They said that they slept really well, except for Clare waking up with Alex's big toe in her face.....!

Clare said her back ached a bit after the second night so we are thinking of putting a self-inflating single mattress on top of the double for her. Again old camping kit.

It also worked really well to put her and the boys bags & belongings in during the day.

We had a violent storm from the Irish Sea in the early hours of the night before they came but the Annexe held up great and no water came in. We were temted to let the canopy down and it says only for light winds but we left it up and it was still there next morning....................! It only needed a tightening of the guy ropes first thing.

All in all at worked well

Cheers
Mike

PS I will try to add some photos in an update in a few days.

Poptop320, Rachel Kemp and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:07 am

The usual PopAir Pro problem of slight weeping through the seam above the awning rail reared its head again when we were away over the last Bank Holiday weekend. I had tried the expandable yellow ear plugs at the end of the Keder strip in the awning rail - as suggested by someone else on here - but I swapped back to blu-tak as it works better, even though it's harder to remove when you take the awning down! After getting home and drying out the awning thoroughly indoors I gave the connecting piece, Keder strip and upstand part of the awning a good coat of fabric proofer - hopefully this will help prevent that slight weeping we get during heavy rain. I have also got (somewhere) a pair of the Isabella (I think) expanding clamps that go over the end of the awning cord (Keder strip). If only I knew where I had put them...

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:32 am

Yes I know that problem with the Isabella end-stops.

I have a habit of taking one out and putting it in my pocket, then I forget about the other end until we start to fold up the awning and I also put that one in my pocket and promptly forget about them both.............................!

When we get home and start unloading Kath attempts to remember to remind me to put them in a little plastic container that we keep in the cutlery drawer so they are ready for the next trip. This best laid plan, good though it is, often isn't always followed and Kath finds them still in one of my cargo shorts pockets when she comes to wash them.......................!

Mike

Williebraveheart and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4