Camping fridge

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:43 pm
by Captain Calamity | 343 Posts

One of the downsides of the 33 degree heat currently here in France is that our fridge is full of perishables and there is not a lot of room for my essentials - beer, cider, rose de Provence, etc. my question is, if I am to achieve my “Ice Cold in Alex” moment when returning from walking the dog, what is the best bit of additional refrigeration kit to have in the awning? I’ve tried an Outwell cooler but the temperatures here currently are in a different league!

Scroll up

RE: Camping fridge

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:54 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

We use a Dometic Kombi-Kool portable 3 way fridge for longer trips away (i.e. when putting up our PopAirPro) - it worked better than the caravan fridge at 40C last year in France - important to keep it out of the sun, though! We have had it at least 6 years - at home it's our drinks fridge on the worktop in the kitchen and when we travel it sits in the boot of my Volvo estate plugged into the built in permanent live 12v supply. They are not cheap. but they work brilliantly. I had a much earlier version in a previous life (early 90s!) with a trailer tent and that one ran brilliantly well off a CampingGaz cylinder, as well as on 240v when available.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Captain Calamity likes this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:55 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:29 am
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

A standard camping cool box type unit is not up to the task. We used to carry a separate table top domestic fridge and a table top domestic freezer. They sat side by side in the Yeti boot and offered ice cold beer and 3 weeks supply of frozen food from home.
We now run a single unit. A newer version of it is marketed by Dometic as the DOMETIC CK40D HYBRID COOLBOX by Leisure Shop Direct.
We considered a 3 way but this caught our attention for it's freezer capability. On mains voltage it will supposedly run at down to - 15c. Last year in NL with 34/36c it was holding - 12c during the day in a shaded location under the sun canopy.
On 12v in the car, after leaving home reading - 15, it rose to - 10/12 over a 16 hour journey including no power for 3 hours on the Channel Crossing.
On 12v it is listed as dropping 20c over ambient, so perfect between sites in your air conditioned car if being used as a fridge.
We are very impressed with the performance and bought ours for about £200 a few years ago. The model being marketed by Leisure Shop Direct is now reduced to £344.It is a lot of money, With a hour or so spent on the Internet I'm sure you could find the model we have without the digital display a little cheaper. I would definitely buy another.

We have the newer generation fridge fitted to new Tourings and our Feeling. At present we are experiencing the same or slightly higher temperatures than you, about 50 miles to your east. Day time temps have averaged 34/36c, topping out at 38c. In our caravan fridge I'm not keeping any meat products or beer. It is standing up well to these high temeratures with the exception of milk in the door that is not as cold as I'd prefer. I do not think the cooler air is circulating as well in this area as the shelves are fairly full.
After 6 hot days I've taken outside vents off and sat our small fan next to the bottom vent to see how effective it will be I lowering the temperature.
I probably will now add a couple of fridge fans as on previous vans as it will only take a morning and cost less than £20.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

HDI163, Captain Calamity and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:50 pm
by Randa france | 12.876 Posts

Our 3 way Electrolux Camping fridge has been with us for 21 years now and lives outside, full of ice cold gin, tonic, vodka and beer. Oh and a bottle of pop.
When we were true campers we also used to carry a common or garden table top fridge in the tent.
Since the Eriba we have ditched the table top fridge in favour of a table top freezer which once powered up will work well and survive the 4 or 5 hour downtime between campsite stops.
R

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Captain Calamity and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:23 am
by Islay | 215 Posts

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:41 am
by eribaMotters | 5.315 Posts

They do look like a good solution to the problem.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:05 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

an alternative way

chop x seal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edynhmLNedw

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:39 pm
by Captain Calamity | 343 Posts

Mmmm… how does that work with beer and Rose de Provence?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:45 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

everything chopped and stored so takes up less room meaning more room for the beer

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:42 am
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

The guy opposite me with a twin axle caravan has got a stand alone fridge freezer in his awning

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

dinky likes this post!
Last edited Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:43 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:03 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

Yes, and talking to a traffic cop (and caravaner) recently he said they pulled up a large UK caravan being towed by an older lady (in a routine motorway services check point) that was filled to the roof with furniture, plus a tall fridge freezer and three 47kg propane bottles - she was going to set it up for a whole season's use, as she had done every year for the past ten years. When taken to a local weighbridge it was almost a tonne overweight....

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:07 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

oh wow it must of been on its knees, how did they get the fridge freezer in through narrow door,?

Last edited Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:41 pm

Quote: dinky wrote in post #12
oh wow it must of been on its knees, how did they get the fridge freezer in through narrow door,?

It went in his van somewhere when he left this morning , I think he may have been new to caravaning, he levelled his van on one side with his caravan legs both wheels (double axle) on one side were about 6 inches off the ground

eribaMotters likes this post!
Last edited Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:21 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

are you at Healy?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:17 pm

Quote: dinky wrote in post #14
are you at Healy?

Lower Wensley caravan club site near Leyburn

dinky likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105701 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0