wheel replacements for 92 Puck

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:54 am
by zate24 | 17 Posts

Hi there,
Just come back from what could have been a disaster of a trip. I had a blow out on the Puck wheel on the M56 and did not feel it go. I was flashed at by a good fella who pulled in front of me with his hazards on. I pulled into the hard shoulder, thankfully that stretch of the motorway has ONE and not the death lane we see all too often!! Not a pleasant experience still the same. Anyhow I must have been going a few miles as the tyre was non existent and I was rolling on the steel rim by the time I pulled over.
I put the spare on and carried on thinking that I would be able to pick up another wheel where I was going to. I tried to get a replacement wheel where I was staying on the Llyn Peninsula at Porth Lago, beautiful campsite by the way, but didn't get to enjoy it much as I was running around trying to get a spare for the journey home.
That did not happen and I had to return without one. So I have now decided that it is probably time to upgrade the wheels to make the Puck easier to service should I puncture again. The tyre size was 135 80 R13, 4 hole. I think the chassis is an AL KO. The guy in the tyre shop looked at the van and told me that the tyres were probably the same age as the van, so probably past their best by date and no longer available.
So the question is what size of tyre can I put on the Puck, I have seen some trailer and caravan wheels with 145 80 R13 on E bay for a reasonable price and think they will be OK.
Any help would be appreciated.

Scroll up

RE: wheel replacements for 92 Puck

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:45 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

would need to measure the distance between the wheel bolts to find right size for new wheels think call it pdc pitch diameter circle ( https://www.westerntowing.co.uk/pcd-calculation/ )
whether would need new bolts with cones or flat mating

then the wheel itself would be needed to withstand the weight of caravan. the 135 is the width of tyre 145 would be wider careful measuring will be required to ensure fits in wheel box

need the speed rating of tyre however found this
https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/135-80-13

tyres need changing every 5/7years no matter the tread condition

Last edited Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:55 pm
by zate24 | 17 Posts

OK Thanks for the info. I kept the damaged rim and have found all the codes stamped onto it. They all match up with the wheels I found on ebay from a trailer dealer. So I have now ordered 3 . Doing the measuring they will not interfere with the wheel arch I think and am replacing the arch spats now with some I also found on ebay which seem to give a bit more clearance too. Will keep you informed as to the progress.

dinky and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:34 pm
by zate24 | 17 Posts

Hi, Just a quick update. The new wheels came and they were OK. 145/80/R13 tyres will fit the Puck but I reckon that's as wide as you would want to go without altering the bodywork. They also fit within the original wheel spats. So job sorted now I hope.

dinky and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12524 topics and 105667 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3