Puck 230 L GT. Damp patch.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:58 am
by Achind23 (deleted)

Hello. Advice please and any suggestions appreciated. (As long as they are wholesome!!)

A damp patch has appeared in the wardrobe high up on back offside corner. I have looked for signs of ingress but cannot see anything obvious. I know that overwinter I had, inadvertently parked it up with the nose slightly down (therefore not level) and wondered if this was somehow a contributory factor. We have used the 'van several times this year and the patch is dry to the touch and I ensure it is always levelled whether in use or not.
The only external fixture at about the same height as the internal staining would be the rain channel but before I pull it to bits and potentially cause more problems thought it prudent to ask those in the know, hence this message.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or suggest a reliable repairer (I live in Northumberland) it would be much appreciated.
We have had the 'van since new in 2006 and it has never had a problem. Jandi used to do the servicing but since they retired we have struggled to find someone sympathetic to Eribas.
Thanks in anticipation.

Scroll up

RE: Puck 230 L GT. Damp patch.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:29 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

does the gas heater pipe go through wardrobe roof?
heater pipe may need a new seal where screw on the extra chimneys
is your rain channel clean to allow rain to escape.
or if lower down may be the underlay leaking, may be able to tweak the screws slightly (are your wheels balanced may need to tighten more screws if not)
can add some tetroseal or renew the underlay the cover strip speak to eriba dealer automotive leisure parts or Tebay
you can do both yourself or call in a mobile repairer
id get the roof up to air even if under a cover its going to be hot till Saturday.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:53 pm
by zippy | 70 Posts

high level brake light in roof could need re-sealing

cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:01 am
by dinky | 211 Posts

if the wardrobe at front may also be the upper side light, forgot this earlier as already added sealer to mine when changed bulbs. belt and braces approach.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:47 pm
by cruickie | 97 Posts

The third brake light would be my first check.

It's worth packing the locker on the inside of the
light with towels, then gently apply water to the
outside brake light to check for any dampnest
coming through to the toewas.

VW Golf 1.4tsi GTE PHEV DSG / Triton 410 Forever young / Atomatent awning / Isabella shadow
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:28 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

is the brake light in the wardrobe on this layout?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:45 pm
by Achind23 (deleted)

Thanks for reply. Brake lights and indicators etc are in a cluster low down below rear hand rail. There is no high level brake light. However appreciate your response.
David.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:50 pm
by Achind23 (deleted)

Appreciate your response. The brake lights are not near the wardrobe and are in a light cluster each side of the number plate. There is no wiring or lights etc in the wardrobe.
The only link to the outside is the trauma heater vent which comes up through the wardrobe but the damp is not near this however water tracks in mysterious ways!!
Thanks David.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:54 pm
by Achind23 (deleted)

Thank you for reply. Will check this out but as you know water tracks in mysterious ways but the the centre light is not near the wardrobe, but worth a try.
Appreciate your advice. Nice job while the sun shines.!!
David.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:59 pm
by Achind23 (deleted)

Thank you for your reply. Wardrobe at rear offside corner. The only obvious link to the outside is the Truma heater vent but even this is not that near the damp patch but as water tracks it could be a possible cause.
Appreciate your efforts to help.

David.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:07 pm
by Achind23 (deleted)

Thank you for your suggestions all of which I'll try. Wheels are balanced, we recently had a new bespoke axle fitted with a higher load rating to overcome a persistent tyre wear problem that Hymer failed to solve. However as it has a higher load rating it may well have "bounced" around more than it used to and loosened some of the things you mentioned.
As a point of interest the tyres no longer wear out like they used to do.
Appreciate your response.

David.

dinky likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:10 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

David,
after 20 years of Eriba ownership I cannot recall an incident of water ingress around the gas fire flue.
I would say that you have an equal possibility of the culprit being a failed gasket around the high level brake light and the awning rail seal. Each have a history of failure.
Hopefully it is the rear brake light and this would be my first inspection point as it would be obvious if it has failed and the easier to repair.
If it is the rubber seal behind the gutter/awning trim, then a forum search of this will bring up lots of good advice including the correct sticky rubber gasket to use on a repair.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:11 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:13 am
by Achind23 (deleted)

Thanks Colin. Good advice which I'll follow up with. I had not thought about the upper light seal being a possibility so will get out the step ladder and have a look.
Appreciate your input, and that of everyone else.
David.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:16 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

Our Triton leaked at some point last winter from the top front left awning rail and it was amazing where the water had got to. Bit miffed, because, prior to our buying it last April, it had had a rear top brake light leak and had had the awning rail done as well - except I don't think it had...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:53 pm
by Achind23 (deleted)

Thanks for the comments. I will certainly check out all the suggestions made especially the upper light and awning rail/rain channel.

Appreciate the friendliness and helpfulness of Eriba folk.

David.

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105683 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3