Eriba 420 maximum payload

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:51 pm
by Jed | 8 Posts

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so first post here! My question concerns the differing MTPLM's specifically on a 420 Triton. We have a 2012 430 Triton with a weight of 1200Kg and we are going to view a 420 tomorrow but have just realised that it has a maximum of 1000Kg. Now we don't travel with much extra in the van but we are wanting to add a motor mover to it so obviously will eat into our available payload.
What I'd really like to know though is there any difference in axle and suspension components which are used for a 1200 or 1300kg MTPLM compared to a 1000Kg MTPLM? I'm not too sure whether I want to downgrade to less durable components if this is the case! I have heard that its just a paper exercise and the same axle and shock absorbers are used irrespective but is there anyone who could confirm this or not please?

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Eriba 420 maximum payload

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:16 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

I initially ran a 1000kg Triton and had to be very careful of what went into it. The empty weight of a 420 would be around 820kg, but this does not include GT specification, battery, mud flaps, onboard tank, water heater, anti-snake hitch, spare wheel etc etc, which could easily add up to 100kg. Add in a mover at 30kg and you have little left as actual payload.
Is the 430 in question the van at Highbridge?

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:22 pm
by Jed | 8 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Thanks Colin. I already have the 430, it's a 2021 420 we are going to look at. Private sale currently on ebay. It is a GT so but no water heater, tank etc. I really would like to know if as a 1000Kg it has less durable suspension components and a different axle to the higher MTPLM'S?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:53 pm

The quality and durability of the components should be the same. You will have no problem as long as you do not exceed the max load.
If it is a genuine UK van it should have 4 studs per wheel and the axle will be rated at 1000kg. I would be surprised to see such a van.
If it is a European import it may actually have a 1200kg axle but be plated at 1000kg van and you might be able to apply to Hymer to have it re-plated at a cost.
Even without the water heater the van could be running at at least 900kg empty before you add a mover. I personally do not think the 70kg left is sufficient, but others will disagree.

Colin

If you look at the configurator here you should be able to get a very good idea of the weight. I know the chassis and coupling has changed, but it is a good starting point.https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/configurator/touring#/

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Jed likes this post!
Last edited Sat Sep 30, 2023 3:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:51 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

Ours is a Euro import, plated at 1000kg - if it has a 1200kg axle, would that be on the axle plate underneath? The chassis has a plate rating it from 960kg to1600kg, but that presumably relates to the many different caravans that the same chassis was used on. So, the limiting factor is the axle, not the chassis.

It seems a bit remiss of Eriba to ever sell the GT version (with all its extra weight items) on a 1000kg axle...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:51 pm
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

The difference between the 1000kg and 1200kg axle is the rubber inserts in the axle tube that the suspension movement reacts against. The actual construction apart from that is the same. That is based on the experience of having my 1000kg axle upgraded to 1200kg a couple of years back. There is a photo that shows the construction in the thread

Eriba Axle Upgrade PtII

Jed and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:24 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

Here is some info regarding getting the MTPLM upgraded if the axle has the appropriate plate.
I had my UK spec 2015 Familia 320 MTPLM upgraded

MTPLM upgrade

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Jed likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:58 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

The current Triton 420 has a listed MIRO of 907kg but these days Hymer qualify that by saying it can be + or - 5% (862 to 952kg). The 5% is really a lawyer's figure to cover the fact that due to production tolerances in all van materials and parts, a van is highly unlikely to exactly weigh its MIRO figure. You can probably take it that it won't weigh less and will probably weigh more, but not right up to the +5% figure.

I do notice that the current 420 has a minimum MTPLM of 1100kg and that's probably because 1000kg was unrealistically low and in reality didn't provide enough payload.

IIRC some Eriba VIN plates do show the axle limit and the MTPLM, sometimes they both match and sometimes the axle limit is higher and the van can then have its MTPLM upgraded. Of course you can also have the axle upgraded but that can be expensive, is rarely done and is best only done as a factory fit option when buying new.

I've just configured a 420 on the website and been fairly conservative in selecting options, not including boiler or onboard tank and the extras weigh 127kg. Apparently with an 1100kg standard payload I'd be left with 66kg available. Now my spec. included battery and mover, but minus those items our two person payload in our current van is 97kg according to my spreadsheet, so I'd be happier in a 1200kg 420 to provide some weight headroom and ensure I'm road legal if pulled over by enforcement.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Jed likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:34 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

An aside, sorry for going slightly off topic. The plate by the door of our Eriba has weathered very badly and is becoming illegible. We know our axle rating etc but how would “plod” enforce it if they can’t read it. Is it a legal requirement, do I need to get a new label?

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:58 pm

I'd be tempted to contact Hymer about a replacement adhesive sticker.https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/service/contact
Before doing so it would be worth checking the axle plate. I know some Trolls of your age could be uprated to 1300kg, but it might have just been the wider bodied 55 series.

Colin

Last edited Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:04 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:08 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

Ours is 1200 according to the paperwork. Mind you according to the plate it’s a 552 but it’s definitely a 530 🤔

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+

Last edited Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:40 pm
by AlanC | 93 Posts

Our 2015 Troll 530 has an MTPLM of 1300kg on an axle also plated at 1300kg if that is any help.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:37 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

Type Approval regulation for caravans came in from April 2011 and included a standard format for VIN plate layout. Many manufacturers adopted such labelling well before the required date and many decided to either place the legally required plate inside the gas locker or adopt dual labelling, often with a plate outside that maybe didn't meet the regulation layout and one in the gas locker that did.

In my experience Eriba Touring plates (2001 and 2005) were fairly robust and not liable to weathering, but it is a dozen years on and they may well have become susceptible.

Enforcement officers may well take a dim view if a VIN plate is missing or unreadable, though I'm not sure if any sanctions are possible. Even if they're not it's the sort of thing that would motivate them to take a very, very close interest in the van in the hope of finding something they can get you for.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105705 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3