Do we need rear view mirror extensions?

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:07 pm
by Ana | 4 Posts

Greetings from Hilary and Eddie
We have just become the proud owners of a Rockabilly, this being our first caravan. Our question we would love your responses to is do we really need rear view mirror extensions? Our Rockabilly is just 10 cm wider each side of our Volvo XC40 and it is easy to see along the sides of the caravan. We note that there are rather harsh but understandable penalties for not having extensions. The range of extensions available on the market seem to be rather cumbersome and we'd love to know if there are any out there which are more in keeping with the more slender breadth of our Rockabilly?

It has been so insightful reading the responses to the many questions here and we know there is a wealth of experience out there to be explored.
Many thanks

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Do we need rear view mirror extensions?

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Welcome to the forum and Eriba ownership.
Somewhere on the forum is posted a diagram that specifies the area you need to be able to see. In reality it boils down to one simple question. Is the rear of the car wider than the caravan. This is seldom the case so you do by law have to have extension mirrors fitted.
Milenco are the default setting for most, but if you do not mind digging deep then EMUK should be on your list. You will need to source them from abroad, probably Germany. They are made to measure for your vehicle and are a cast aluminium bracket/arm that wraps around the car mirror in seconds, perfectly, every time. I sourced mine through e-bay to a dealer that did not have them listed but upon contacting them I found they were available. I believe this was the company I used:- https://www.l-parts.de/
EMUK mirror-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Whatever extension mirrors you go for you will be surprised at how much more you can actually see. In fact I'd go as far as to say you will possibly be frightened at how much you have been missing.

On another note, the XC40 will be on my list of possible replacement vehicles in a year or so. Which model do you have, are you impressed with it and what is the fuel consumption like solo and towing.

Thanks - Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Pepé Le Pew and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:37 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:19 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

the advantages of mirrors
can judge if can get through narrow gap without damaging eriba
can indicate and move out in traffic easier
reversing may be able to stop before hitting other half.

the disadvantage of no mirror
mr plod fines you
while reversing accidently run over the other half who was in blind spot, have to cook all meals and story be told over and over of how run over other half

happy other half happy life

Ana and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:42 pm
by Ana | 4 Posts

Hello Colin, thank you for replying so rapidly. The XC40 is just 10 cm narrower on both sides of the caravan but this dos mean the van is wider than the back of the car/width between mirror extremities.

We have the B4 model which pulls the caravan with ease. Unfortunately we have the mpg showing and this drops from around 45 without the van to 30ish with it.
Cheers for now. Eddie

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:48 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

I think Colin's hit the nail on the head.

If you look at the paragraph entitled 'Towing mirrors' here, it's as concise as concise can be.

Schematic diagrams of mirror visibility splays and stuff are nowhere near as easy to understand as the basic rule:

If the caravan you're towing is wider than the back of your car, you need extension mirrors.

The width of that car over the mirrors is neither here nor there, and neither is how far you can see down the side of your caravan if you lean over so far that your head is resting in your co-pilot's bosom.

If you satisfy the criteria on the gummint's website, you're watertight.

I've had two sets of EMUK mirrors; one on an Audi A3 and a pair on a Skoda Karoq.

They aren't cheap. You'll pay the thick end of a hundred quid for a pair delivered, but they are brilliant. They fit properly and quickly; once you've adjusted them correctly the first time you can whip them off and back on again in a jiffy without upsetting that adjustment. They don't wobble, and best of all, don't look like the cumbersome afterthought that extension mirrors actually are.

I bought a pair on Milenco Aeros to begin with, and hated them. The attachment system is crude (imho), they did wobble and always looked as if they were about to take their own miserable one-size-fits-all lives under the eighteen wheels of the 38 tonne Norbert thundering along two feet from my backside.

And Milencos are hardly a pound shop snip in any case.

Apart from being model-specific fit, EMUK mirrors don't impede the mirror folding mechanism that a lot of cars use these days either.

I'm a total convert. They really are the dog's bollocks.

I should say I have no interest in EMUK other than being a very satisfied customer.

Actually, that isn't quite true because my great uncle Horst Emuk owns the company, and when he's toast we stand to inherit an absolute fortune

Islay and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:02 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Hi Hilary and Eddie. In your case you need mirrors but unfortunately there is also a law restricting the projection of the mirrors to 20cm beyond the Eriba. So you could be illegal with them or without them unless you can find some slimline ones. In reality I would think having them takes priority.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...-motor-vehicles

Steve

Last edited Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:04 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:05 pm

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #6
Hi Hilary and Eddie. In your case you need mirrors but unfortunately there is also a law restricting the projection of the mirrors to 20cm beyond the Eriba. So you could be illegal with them or without them unless you can find some slimline ones. In reality I would think having them takes priority.
G
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...-motor-vehicles
You can adjust the projection of the EMUK mirrors so that wouldn't be an issue.

Steve and Debbie and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:07 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Hi Ana and welcome to Eribafolk

Many of the diagrams I've seen appear to show the situation from the driver's point of view in a left hand drive car. Of course, it's easy to reverse the diagram in your mind's eye but I think this article including a very useful video, clearly demonstrates the necessity to have driving mirrors.

If you are planning to tour abroad the necessity is even greater.

https://www.caravanguard.co.uk/news/impo...-mirrors-16501/

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:39 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

I can’t believe the number of caravans I see on the roads where you can’t see the car or mirrors - even with the super-wide 8ft wwb’s.
They can’t see anything but don’t seem to care.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:11 am
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

Many mirror applications actually make your vehicle too wide when towing an Eriba. I tow with a Volvo V70 - quite wide - and I don't, in theory, need additional mirrors, however I have bought a set of Emuks that I have cut down to minimum width. they are brilliant - no vibration at all and they fold with the mirrors when parking. Way better than Milencos (on my car).

i have also designed and assembled a wifi based rear view camera system , which is, in my opinion, way more useful than extension mirrors...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:27 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Quote: Simboc2004 wrote in post #10

I have also designed and assembled a wifi based rear view camera system , which is, in my opinion, way more useful than extension mirrors...

Any more information on this Simon?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:28 pm

Well, having had two years with a motorhome with rear mounted camera, I thought it must be possible to do something similar on a caravan. Mainly to see those tail hoggers on French motorways who pop out and surprise you if you're not careful, but also to enable much more accurate reversing. The problem is, of course, the 2m gap between car and caravan. There are plenty of hard wired systems available (mucho £££), however I decided it must be possible to do the same using wifi or Bluetooth. And using equipment I already owned. Easy I thought. Hmmm. Wrong.

I set my targets on using an iPad Mini attached to the dashboard (as viewing screen) via air vent-mounted magnets - and that works well in my Volvo V70. Plus an "old" iPhone SE 2020 as rear mounted camera in the Eriba. I thought about using FaceTime to link the devices (for free), however you need a 4G network to reliably connect that way - plus, potentially, roaming charges could mount up on a long European journey, so, instead, I bought Filmic Pro, which is a professional filming app enabling remote control and remote viewing. All worked really well at home (you can set up the app to control the rear camera from the dashboard one) and you can flip the camera image so that you are viewing a reversed image on your dashboard. There is a slight viewing delay on wifi, which is a slight bugbear, although the latest software updates have reduced this. You can also record the camera footage from the controls on the view screen, which could be handy.

When installed in the car and caravan the signal would be lost intermittently - just too much distance for reliable connection. So, mark 2 (!) was the introduction of a mini wifi router at the rear of the car, powered from the car 12v supply and velcro-ed to the roof lining (it's an estate). This solved the connection issues most of the time. I was in contact with the Chinese manufacturers and they suggested I might need the version with two variable aerials, so i bought that instead and that really has solved all the issues (mark 3). Reliable video streaming for no ongoing cost. The mini router was around £30 and the filming software initially £8 a year. Everything else I already owned (the iPad mini I use daily as an e-reader, the iPhone my wife's ex-contract phone). I travelled around with it this summer and it was really reliable - still a second or so delay, but quite acceptable for seeing who's behind you. I find people also back off a bit when they see a device looking at them. I power the rear phone from a USB socket I already had put in the Eriba.

I have now upgraded my iPad Mini to the cellular version (without sim card), because this has built in GPS, which lets me navigate using Google maps - connected to 4G/5G via hot-spotting my personal phone. All very successful...

Couple of photos: one of the mini-router and the other of the iPhone running the software. And a third one showing the phone holder in the rear window of the Eriba (phone not yet attached - but Emuk mirrors going on!)

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_9683.JPG 
 IMG_9684.JPG 
 bb3df4bb-187e-44a8-b608-e83bca47514a.JPG 

Pepé Le Pew, eribaMotters and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:20 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:26 pm

Quote: Simboc2004 wrote in post #12
Couple of photos: one of the mini-router...
The Post It under the corner of the keyboard.

Does it say 'loin cloth'?

Are we peeking through a door that should never have been left open?

There's always a danger of sowing your own minefield. Phone numbers; bank balances; things that may come back to haunt you...

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:15 pm

Nothing on there I wasn't happy to share - definitely no loin cloths...

In fact it says Zeppelin cloth - that should give you something to research.

What's far more concerning is how dirty my keyboard is - time for a spruce up!!

Last edited Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:18 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:01 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

Great post!
I’ve been playing with another app called FreeRearviewCam - no frills but it works great over a tethered Wi-Fi, at least in the same room.🙂

The Wi-Fi booster might be the bit that makes it work.👍

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 45 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3