Buying a new Eriba v Used

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:20 am
by fionah | 10 Posts

Hi All,
I was at the NEC this month and fell in love with the Familia (420, I think?). Having just retired, the lump sum was burning a hole in my pocket and I was also keen to get out of the tent and off the deck! However, I was alarmed by comments on this and other forums about the shoddy quality of the new Eribas and was seriously considering looking at another brand.
Can anyone advise whether I am being over cautious or not? I'm not particularly handy with fixing stuff and plan to do a lot of touring over the next few years so having something where things were breaking/malfunctioning and required going back to the dealer etc doesn\t appeal. I also wondered about buying an older model - thinking that the initial snagging will have been sorted?
Another plus with buying a used model is that all the extras will likely be included.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Fiona

Scroll up

RE: Buying a new Eriba v Used

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:47 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

Welcome to the forum Fiona. It is a difficult decision before you and potentially a very large financial outlay. I'm guessing you mean a Triton 420, two long sofa's and front kitchen with bathroom opposite the entrance door.
I'd advise firstly looking at as many layouts as possible to confirm your choice.
Next make a list of the things it must include and those things that you would like but are flexible on.
If going new I would haggle hard and be prepared to walk away if you cannot get a substantial discount, £4k to £5K should be possible, or a mover plus £3K
If you decide you do not want to make such a financial leap yet then I'd try and find a 2005-8 van. The build on these was good and the cabinetwork/furnishings still look modern.
For £12/14K you should be able to find a good private sale with service history.
If you really fall for the Eriba then you could sell on in a year or so, probably get about what you paid for it, and learn if you are missing something in your specification.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:30 pm
by fionah | 10 Posts

Thanks a lot Colin - some very helpful advice there. I have been trawling obsessively the last while and have a rough idea of what I'd like - probs the 5.54 m length with sofas that can be turned into single beds ( so no night time clambering). Perhaps go for the one that has the additional dinette as that could be turned into another bed if/when grandchildren appear. We don't have a massive car (Ford CMax 1.6 diesel) so need to be careful not to get too ambitious with size/weight of van.
However, I will start seriously looking at the used van market - very good to know that you would give a thumbs up to the 2005-8 models!!! Btw I think it was your posts that rang alarm bells originally about newer models and quality issues.
If anyone is reading this who is thinking of selling then please feel free to send me a message!
Fiona

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:21 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

What you are describing here Fiona is a Troll 540.

g199-Eriba-Troll.html

It's the only popular size Eriba with long beds to sleep side by side and a single cross van dinette/single bed in the front. I presume you want an on board toilet by virtue of the fact that you may want to get up at night without disturbing your partner.

The Troll 540 is a very popular van and they have been produced since the mid 90s. The earlier ones, although giving the same layout, are considerably lighter weighing in at 1000 kg laiden so should not cause your C Max any problems. They are easily distinquishable by thier colour schemes with either yellow or purple stripes.

g1p2-Troll-and-Troll.html

We have had its sister Troll, a 530 (beds too short for you) 1999, for 13 years now and it's still going strong. We used to tow it with a Ford Focus Estate 1.6 TDi 90 bhp and it was OK.

These lighter weight vans still come up regularly and have an asking price of round £8500 to £9500 if bought privately.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

fionah likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:25 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:31 pm
by fionah | 10 Posts

Thanks Randa that's really good to know. It's difficult to tell whether you can sleep lengthways from some of the info online. You assumed correctly that the onboard loo is one of our must haves. We've spent too many years in a tent with bladders like footballs come the morning....
Also very relieved to hear that you managed fine with your Ford Focus.
Will keep an eye out for an early 540 then. Although having said that, will probably be a bit flexible with sleeping arrangements if a good deal comes up.
Fiona

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:34 pm
by DebbieR | 6 Posts

Hi Fiona,

We were in a similar position to you and decided to buy a 2010 420 in April this year. We didn't want to spend too much money as we were unsure if we could cope with such a small caravan. After 7 trips in it over the summer it is now been put to bed for the winter under its Protec cover.
We love how easy it is to tow and manually move around. Build quality is excellent and never leaked even during storm Babet last week. We will probably keep it another year with a trip to France next summer. In the long term I might be tempted to trade in for a slightly bigger version - a Troll. But at the moment we are very happy with our purchase.

Debbie

fionah likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:35 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

The quality question pops up regularly, just to add a bit of perspective there are pros and cons for old and new, you will hear more of things on forums regarding new vans with snags that need addressing in the first couple of years just like a car. The older vans probably had the same scenario many years ago however they will now have settled down and run in so it will be more age related faults. I have had an old 1993 Puck I bought 2nd hand and two Familia 320s from new. The Puck had age related issues I had to fix such as Draw bar, tyres, brake failure, window seals, batteries, tap, fibreglass gas locker, veneer flaking off, bed extender, external paint very thin, internal roof covering very delicate etc. The Familias 2012 & 2015 had issues that was fixed under warranty, the major ones were wiring corrected, fridge element , locker door changed. The big thing to look for which will cost a lot of money to fix is a rotten sub frame on the pre 2012, Eribas post 2012 have a galvanised chassis. Quality wise with old and new ( most folks regard pre 2012 as the old version) which is basically the French built verses the German built, the French have heavier made cabinets where as the German vans use a composite vaneer wood to keep the weight down. In my experience and personal opinion I prefer the newer vans, either way if you get a good pre 2012 you won’t be disappointed. 😊

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

fionah likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:55 pm
by Islay | 215 Posts

Just to balance things out. Our Triton 430 is 25 years old. The only problem we've had was an element in the fridge that was cheap to get fixed. We paid 7200 E in 2015, we've added a mover and changed the hitch as it got stuck on the car and I was seriously thinking I'd have to take her to work...... that's all. We love her.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Randa france and fionah like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:15 pm
by fionah | 10 Posts

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've been googling used Eriba's like a fiend. Something of the right age/model hasn't appeared yet but I will keep looking. There is a slight downside in that almost everything I've come across has been in the far south and would mean a monster drive for a viewing. It may well come to that..... I better try and find a towing course pronto!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:20 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Just looked and you're in Scotland. Top or bottom? there are many owners in Scotland but unfortunately the lovely Jandi Caravans from West Calder, closed about 2 years ago.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:48 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

Leisure first in Poole has the largest second hand stock in the country , I bought an Eriba from them in the past and they delivered it to my house in Manchester for a fee.

https://www.leisurefirst.com/eriba-approved-used/

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:17 pm
by fionah | 10 Posts

Randa - I'm about 20 miles from Glasgow. There are a few eribas in a place in Livingstone but very limited stock.

Poptop - thanks so much for the info. I've been looking at that site but it's at the other end of the country so had been hoping for something closer. But knowing they deliver puts a different spin on things!

Last edited Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:33 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Hi Fiona,
You’re not too far from Adventure leisure at Tebay then. (Well, probably as close as us in Sheffield!)
They’re certainly worth a try.
Steve.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.

fionah likes this post!
Last edited Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:34 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:28 am
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

Fiona a few generalisations to help put everything into perspective for you.
- The number of Eriba caravans still be used as a % of those sold is undoubtedly far higher than your typical white box. They are generally well built
- Vans from the 70's and 80's regularly come up for sale but usually need work time to get them back to former glory as they are showing there age.
- Vans from the 90's are fairly common and generally just need a bit tidying up. Some say they are the best that Eriba built.
- From about 2001 to 2010 are what I think are the nicest looking vans. The majority of UK supplied vans had the white top over silver/grey bottom.
-From about 2006 vans sported a very nice and still modern looking interior with curved top lockers instead of the earlier panelled appearance. Reports of damp ingress/stains and rust around the the bottom exterior 20mm square steel framework are about the only things you need to look out for.
- 2010 Hymer moved production from France to Germany and updated the design with a slightly higher roof, different colour outside and internal joinery changes. This was a transition period and not a lot of vans seemed to be made. I have not heard of any nightmares that I recall for this period.
- 2014 ish to 2024 the Eriba are what we think of a new Eriba. It is the earlier versions of these that suffered from serious cabinet issues due to poor, lightweight plywood and a change in fixtures and fittings. Some 2016/17 vans also had issues with window seals and a few others the front gas locker door rotting internally. In other ways they were a step forward with a galvanised chassis, so no rust to worry about. To be fair, the vans effected should now have all come to light and the issues been addressed. Also consider that the woes of these unlucky owners will probably pail into insignificance compared to the majority of typical white box owners.

As regards distance to view or buy your new van, you will probably have to travel a fair distance to get the correct van. I'm guessing Tebay is about 2 1/2 hours from you. A day out and a tank of fuel is a small price to pay when you look back in a few years time of owning that van. When living in Essex I bought blind second hand vans from Berkshire and Leicester. New from Belgium and Nottingham. Now in Devon I recently bought new from Hull.

Please feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

fionah and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:29 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:01 am
by fionah | 10 Posts

Colin you are an absolute Eriba Maestro!!!! LOL
What you say is very reassuring. I think that the very fact that there are still some very old vans on the market speaks volumes. The fact that there is a forum of dedicated owners also points to dedicated followers. I got worried after reading that thread of posts that you started a number of years ago so it is really helpful to have that put in context of your reflecting back a number of years later.
Anyway, the only thing holding me back now is my OH who is still slightly dragging his feet - tbh it's a big step to go from cycle touring with a small tent to towing a caravan. He keeps catching me looking at vans online and thinks I'm obsessed.... I will try his method - keep at it until he gives in :)
Fiona

PS Thanks for the offer - I might well PM you to ask some questions when I find something.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 13 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1