Eriba Axles

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:42 pm
by Randa france | 12.872 Posts

As a long term member of http://www.eribaownersclub.co.uk/, I, like many others, have just received the first newsletter to be sent by Email rather than by post.

The following information regarding Eriba Axles is interesting so I'm sure that the EOC won't mind me sharing it on here.

Eriba Axles

Dear sirs,
I seem to speak with Eriba owners several times a week. The reason is that I repair axles for
caravans and motorhomes. As you probably know, the axles are prone to failure at around twenty
years old.

Both types, the rubber ones and the axles with steel torsion bars we find unrepairable. The
rubber ones because of the production method, and the torsion bar ones because the numbers do
not justify the making of new bars.

We affect a repair on both types of axles by making a new, square axle tube, swapping over the
mounting brackets and utilising parts of the trailing arm, including brakes and drop down arm.

The result is a modern rubber in tension axle with at least another twenty years service life built
in. Upon request we can also increase the axle capacity to as much as 1300kgs
The work is done in one working week with shipping arranged. I should be pleased to speak to any
of your members who may have an axle problem.

Subsequent email from Fraser Brown

Thank you for your email. We offer a repair service where we collect an axle from anywhere in
the UK or abroad and rebuild it to new specification.

We depart slightly from original by making them stronger. In the Eriba axles we change the
design to one that has proven to be more reliable
Cost is £600.00 plus VAT including collection and return by TNT.

My contact details are in my website. http://www.fraserbrowneng.co.uk/
Regards,
Fraser Brown,
Fraser Brown Engineering Ltd.,
Chapelhill Church,
Nigg, Ross-shire,
UK
IV20 1XJ
Tel. (0044) 01862 851600

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

eribaMotters, addisb and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:44 pm | Scroll up

RE: Eriba Axles

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:24 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

Do Eriba axles regularly fail at 20 years old? Mine's 19 years old, so is this something I need to worry about?

Mine's plated at 1000kg, so the weight upgrade would definitely be of interest, but would you be able to get it re-plated at the new 1300kg limit as in the email above...? I'm sure Hymer wouldn't do that.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:26 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:25 pm

Hi Simon. I think (hope) as long as you look after it, your axle should last longer than that. I think the problems arise either with overloading or sometimes by cooking the swing rubber suspension on one wheel or other by binding brakes.

See this comment I made after discussing the subject with Christophe Brice, ex leader of the French Eriba Forum and the font of knowledge regarding Eribas.

A Scottish tale

I've also found this information on ALKO axles with swing arm independent suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HTFKoSY49M

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:40 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

interesting, if change axle with a non alko wouldnt the insurance need to know? type approval ect.

mines 20 years old and the axles fine according to service person so no panic yet, we did change the shock absorbers for the rubbers aging.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:07 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

The shocks on my 2005 Triton are definitely looking the worse for wear. Really quite rusty. Might be worth changing them at least.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:29 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

I can't say that I've heard of axle failure in Eribas of any age being a problem.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:04 am
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

Don’t forget I went through this a while back. It did mean a trip to Germany of course, but my axle was reconditioned with new rubbers (and upgraded to a higher weight) in a very short time (about 30 minutes iirc) so they can be repaired without doubt. It was quite a protracted process though, I will confess..

Eriba Axle Upgrade PtII

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:23 am

Hi Hugh and thanks for the reminder and link.
Randa

cabbie37 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 27 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105657 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3