Fridge not working

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:43 pm
by Allypete | 30 Posts

One of the last remaining problems on our 2009 Familia 320 recently acquired is to sort out the non-functional fridge on 12V operation.

I've narrowed it down to a non-functioning relay on the BIP. Initially I removed it and found that one of the relay pins was bent (probably by a previous owner not re-inserting it properly). After straightening the bent pin and re-installing, I was fully expecting it to work. Alas, when hooked up to the car to test, I still don't get any 12V switch lighting up on the Fridge.

After a bit of searching through the forum I found this post: 12V Fridge Problem

Handily, the OP put a photo of the replacement relay and it seems to be available at RS Components at a price of £5.50 (Plenty of stock). An order is on it's way - Happy days indeed!

Just shows the benefit of Eribafolk and all the technical advice on here. Very grateful for all the advice as an Eriba newbie.

Pete

RS Components part: Finder PCB Mount Power Relay, 12V dc Coil, 16A Switching Current, SPDT
Stock no.:351-639
£5.50

Familia 320 2009, Citroen C4 Picasso 2.0L Diesel

Aaron Calder, Randa france and Doonhamer like this post!
Last edited Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:23 pm | Scroll up

RE: Fridge not working

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:18 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

I'm pleased to have been able to help, Pete.

Let us know if replacing the relay fixes the problem.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:33 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

For anyone interested, this is the part we are talking about and where to get one: Fridge relay

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:22 pm
by Allypete | 30 Posts

RS Components (same part) is a bit cheaper £12.45 incl handling/postage & VAT whereas Farnell is £19.78.
Pete

Last edited Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:22 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:15 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Less tha £5 on e-bay:- Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225500583279?...ABk9SR-6Lg5D9Yg
Shame Maplin are now no longer.

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Last edited Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:15 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:30 am
by Allypete | 30 Posts

The relay arrived today by DHL from RS Components - Genuine Finder relay made in Italy. I'm a bit wary of Ebay buying cheap as a lot of stuff on there is copy Chinese imports. I've been caught out before on car parts which have turned out to be of inferior quality (as I've found out to my cost). £4.95 with free delivery seems too good to be true, but it could be that someone has surplus stock they wish to dispose of quickly at cost. On closer inspection of the photos on Ebay, the part there does seem to be genuine.

I took the old relay out this morning and did some tests. Coil resistance OK (208 ohms). 12V DC does switch the relay (changeover) but its evident that there is no continuity between the main contacts when the relay is closed (open circuit). Looking at the relay it's clear that the wiring has burnt out internally. So I've finally found the problem with the fridge not running at 12V when towing.

Fridge Relay Old.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The new relay is now in - it's quite difficult to see which way up the relay needs to be inserted so I took a photo of the socket (difficult access because of the proximity of the water tank to the BIP).

Fridge Relay Orientation.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
The correct way up is with the coil at the bottom. Great care is needed to make sure the relay pins are inserted into the socket properly. Also ensure that the retaining clip is over the relay.
Pete

eribaMotters and Doonhamer like this post!
Last edited Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:54 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:52 pm
by Allypete | 30 Posts

Pleased to report that the fridge is now working properly on 12V. Fully tested during a weekend away in Wiltshire. So the relay was definitely the only problem.
Pete

Familia 320 2009, Citroen C4 Picasso 2.0L Diesel. On the bright side, we've ordered a new Troll 540 for 2024.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 40 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1