2024 Ferry costs

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:26 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Has anyone noticed that the Ferry costs have gone up dramatically this year? Unless we've done something wrong, DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe return has gone up by a couple of hundred quid.

We didn't pursue it as we are sailing by a different route so perhaps the price we got didn't offer us an OAP rate?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

RE: 2024 Ferry costs

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:44 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Costs have gone up, but Ii could also be down to the usual low initial prices being pulled a little early.
I booked Eurotunnel last summer for my June 2024 outward bound crossing. I paid £190 for what would now cost £270.
At the same time I booked the Brittany Ferries return for July at £240 and this would now be £265 or over £290 without a friends & family discount.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:03 pm
by Bryn | 993 Posts

Have you thought of crowdfunding !!!!

Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:22 pm
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

Don't you only get the OAP rate by calling DFDS? As I recall it, they don't advertise it on-line?

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:09 pm

That is correct Hugh, but I'm not sure if it is only applicable to the Newhaven to Dieppe crossing.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:18 pm

Yes, you're correct Hugh and Colin. In the past it took a phone call but we are not certain how much discount it gave us.

This year we've decided to bite the bullet and leave from our nearest Ferry Port which is Portsmouth, a little over 3 hours from home. The Newhaven Port is really great but it's a bit too far for us to do without a stop over.

We are doing Portsmouth to Cherbourg overnight with a pet friendly cabin which knocks the price up but anything for an easy drive. Return during the day but still with a pet friendly cabin. Total cost £699. Quite a bit more than Newhaven but a good saving on fuel and additional campsites plus the fact we are heading south but not too far, from Cherbourg.

You've got a long drive to Folkstone this year Colin. I don't envy you.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:23 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:33 pm

ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System)

Apparently this has been postponed again this year so is not necessary for British travellers until 2025.

https://www.invitationtotuscany.com/guid...Schengen%20Area.

Last edited Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:35 pm

Roger, I had to do the number crunching, but it worked out as the best option even though we are in Devon and heading for the Il de Oleron. I had the remainder of my Tesco vouchers to use up, so the crossing only cost me about £45. When you add the road time to the crossing time, crossing and fuel cots, it was the best result. I can leave the house after breakfast and avoid rush hour, get to Folkestone for a mid afternoon crossing and hopefully get down to not far north-east of Rouen for evening meal time. We then have a days drive to Il de Oleron and do not have to get up early or arrive late. It's about 750 miles from home to campsite.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:38 pm

Take your point but I bet it'll be a 26 mile drive to Plymouth next year and a trip across to Roscoff?
R

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:50 pm

Our return is via the Roscoff-Plymouth crossing, once landed its just over an hour and about 40 miles to home.
I was surprised that when you look at ports on the north coast of France down to The Loire, our normal 1st stop, the distances and times are very similar.
I'm thinking for our 2025 trip we may try sailing into Cherbourg out of Poole.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:36 pm
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

From the DFDS web site:

https://www.dfds.com/en-gb/passenger-fer...ins%20or%20pets.

Are there discounts for seniors on the ferry route Newhaven to Dieppe?
A reduction of 20% is available on the ferry route Newhaven-Dieppe for seniors over the age of 60 years. Passengers will need to be the lead passenger and present proof of age at the port. The discount applies to the crossing only and does not include cabins or pets. All bookings must be made by telephone on 0330 587 8787 or at the ferry terminal.

eribaMotters and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:22 am

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #10

I'm thinking for our 2025 trip we may try sailing into Cherbourg out of Poole.
Colin

We've never tried Poole as it's so far out from us and inbetween the two major motorway complexes. Never landed at Cherbourg either.

Our eldest daughter has done Poole to Cherbourg and seemed OK with it.

Randa

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:32 pm
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

I have an Ardennes trip planned for the summer and have just priced Newhaven - Dieppe with DFDS. Daytime crossings, both ways, gives a list price (in July) of £350. a 20% discount (for being of great age) brings that down to £280. I am more than happy with that...

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:37 pm

So you should be too. That's roughly the price we've paid to them in the past two years and it's a good ferry. Just needs a coat of paint. There are some lovely campsites we can recommend when you get off the ferry at Dieppe.
Randa

cabbie37 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:15 pm

I've just priced up the Hewhaven-Dieppe crossing, putting our 2023 dates of out June 3rd and back July 1st. £270 before old gits discount. I think I will be re-appraising plans for 2025 when the time comes.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105690 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0