Prices

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:41 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

Ebay sent me a heads up on a 2017 542 that's just been put up on their site. The sellers are using Motorhome Depot as an agent and they're asking £20k for what looks like a well equipped van in the Herefordshire area.

That got me thinking because we sold our 2005 540 in 2013 at 8 years old and that had a very similar spec. If I recall correctly she went for £12,500

So I looked up £12,500 in 2013 and what the equivalent would be in December 2023 on the Bank of England inflation calculator.

The answer was £16,800.

Going the other way, £20,000 now is the equivalent of £14,900 in 2013.

So, allowing for inflation that 542 is being sold with a 20% real price increase.

Mind given that new 540's were costing around £25,000 in 2013, that, according to the BofE is now £33,500, so not all that far from the £35,000 a new one costs now.

That suggests that the £20,000 being asked for this 542 is a bit OTT and £17,500 would restore the balance.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Prices

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:47 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Andy, the market is very unpredictable. I think the 2017 542 at £20K will sell fairly quickly, unlike my old 2017 430 that Highbridge had for £22K and took over 7 months to sell.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:32 am

If £20k is a reasonable value for the 2017 542 then £19k would have been reasonable for a Triton, so no wonder yours struggled.

As I say, if £20k is right, then allowing for inflatio, used values have increased by 20% n 10 years, whereas new prices have only increased by about 5%.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:30 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

My head hurts. Far easier to keep with what you've got although I don't know which way I would jump if money was no object. I know what the boss would say.

I think I reported earlier this year that our European cousins seem to be quite happy to pull their vintage classic Eribas around with new (ish) cars. There are many post 2010 Eribas around but by far the majority were pre 2000 and the owners were proud and delighted to show them off and talk about them.

I can't help thinking that Eriba ownership has changed over the past decade or so.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:31 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:44 am

I'm [partly] guilty as charged m'Lord.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:45 am

If you think back to the days of Lechlade, there must be a helluva lot more new vans sold these days given the number of dealerships. The van's were always a style icon, that's one reason we love them but rather like a beautiful, tiny, unspoilt place you discover, these days through social media and commercial exploitation it becomes spoilt and overcrowded, nothing like the place you found so serene before.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:17 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Many folk in the UK new to Eribas and sporting New vans have lost the commonality that once prevailed with all Eriba owners. The Eriba equivalent to the AA Salute is disappearing fast.

Many members of this forum came to Eribas from camping and they preferred to go Eriba than go Caravan. Eribas then were far more basic although pricey but folk were happy to put up with that.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
FINNWOODY and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:43 am
by Old Rocker | 493 Posts

That's correct in our case Randa, trailer tent blown down on a Sunday on The Gower, Triton 420 bought the following Thursday

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies

Last edited Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:44 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:16 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Hi,
No criticism is intended here, genuinely; we’ve had old vans and new ones.

A lot of these comments seem to be along the lines that people had an iconic and fairly rare caravan, joined a club which waxed lyrical about how great they are and now they’ve got more popular and it seems to have devalued the ownership in some way.

Surely we should be encouraged that there is such an interest in the brand whilst still feeling free to concentrate on the models (and model year) of our choice.
Some of the comments, and regular posts about how ‘bad’ the newer models and build standards are, can seem quite alienating to those with recent purchases.

Personally, I wish that Eribas still came with real veneer etc, but they don’t, and we wanted a caravan that would last us out, rather than changing wwb’s every few years to limit depreciation. I wasn’t interested in restoration and had a list of features which we wanted, so settled on a new van.

We have been reasonably involved in the various interest groups and rallies, so I can’t see much difference between us all. It would mark the start of a decline if people stopped buying new Eribas.

Let’s try to be inclusive in our shared interest.

Steve.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:35 pm

Some wise words there Steve. Eriba caravans have changed over the years, some bits for the better, some bits for the worse. What does remain though is the fact that they do remain a cut above the "norm" and a bit different, whichever one you go for.

Colin

SOULBLUESMAN68 and John Watson like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:37 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

Well said Steve. We don’t have a new van, in all honesty we can’t afford one. We’re happy with our van but know people with new vans who have fallen under the Eriba spell too. In the end, new or old they’re all Eribas. If everyone isn’t as keen to be members of “the club” then so be it. Doesn’t change anything for those of us who want to share our love of these ‘vans. I like meeting Eriba owners, new or old.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Frantone, SOULBLUESMAN68 and John Watson like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:07 am

Getting back to the original point of the OP, which was that even after allowing for inflation used Eriba values have increased substantially, whilst new prices haven't increased much more than general inflation over the period. That actually runs counter to accepted economic theory which holds that as goods become more available and are easier to find, more on the market and therefore less competition to purchase it leads to lower prices, not higher.I wonder why that economic norm has been avoided by used Eribas as it certainly hasn't with other caravans, except maybe in the immediate aftermath of the lockdown years.

The other thought that has me a bit baffled is that despite the growth in Eriba sales over the last decade or so, I can't say that I've seen many more when we've stayed on sites over that period. It makes you wonder where they all go?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:16 am

Andy, it is not a simple situation. You say "used Eriba values have increased substantially", well they are definitely advertised for high prices but the newer vans are taking a long time to sell. I'd say that up until the summer of 2021 you could basically get what you asked and very quickly, but then things changed.
We sold our first three vans for more than we paid for them, and they included a good cross section of vans, Familia, Triton & Troll, bought new, nearly new and second hand, UK and abroad.
Our 2022 experience was not such a sweet one on the sale side. I had two private buyers who messed me about on a heavily revised asking price and the dealers I contacted with lots of photos all said the same thing. They liked my van and would like to buy it but could not. The market was flooded with new and nearly new stock and they could not shift vans. They were reducing prices.
I'd hazard a guess at the vans that are shifting is due to those with savings thinking, why the hell not buy a nice van, I'm not getting much interest on my savings.
It will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few years. New dealers have been appointed over the last couple of years, but how many of them will still be selling these fine vans in a couple of summers time, I know one that's stopping.
The market and Eriba owner profile has definitely changed.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:44 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Zitat
The other thought that has me a bit baffled is that despite the growth in Eriba sales over the last decade or so, I can't say that I've seen many more when we've stayed on sites over that period. It makes you wonder where they all go?

There’s a diversion in Roundhill tunnel at the end of the M20 Andy; swallows ‘ribas. 👀
Beware when using Eurotunnel!
🤣🤣🤣

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Steamdrivenandy likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:58 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

totally unscientific but Kath & I definitely saw fewer Eribas this year in our widespread road travels but also on sites - however we didn't go anywhere near the Inspecta's aforementioned Eriba-swallowing tunnel.....................!

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1