Thought the unladen weight would be a less
Or am I missing something
Thanks Paul

PooleDweller likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Weight

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

The unladen weight varies according to factory options (and maybe materials used) so Hymer just avoid the work of weighing each van's MRO by just repeating the MTPLM (1300kg). It's the MTPLM you are legally obliged to comply with so if you need to know the spare capacity it's off to a weighbridge I presume. The 100kg is the max nose weight allowed for the caravan. Your car and towbar will have their own maximum nose weight. That's my take on it only.

Steve

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:42 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

The weight plate varies depending on the year of the van. Earlier ones had less information than more recent ones which have to comply with EU Type Approval regulations.
I suspect the top figure is the MTPLM. The second figure, often labelled 'Axle 0' is the noseweight limit for the hitch (a limit not a target).
The third figure (Axle 1) is the axle weight limit..
You'll sometimes see an axle 2 and even 3 that were used for twin axle vans and lorries.
On some vans the MTPLM figure will be lower than the axle limit. This is known as downplating and is used to limit the loading so that a van appeals to owners of a wider range of tow cars. Downplating is also often used in commercial vehicles so that they attract lower VED charges.
The MTPLM is always the critical maximum weight that enforcement officers will use.
As an aside yesterday someone on CT asked for advice on an 16 year old Hymer Nova they'd just bought. It's weight plate stated the MTPLM was 1517kg and the axle limit 1800kg, however it seems that reviews at the time stated that the MIRO was 1517kg and the MTPLM was 1800kg. It therefore seems that the van has been run for 16 years with an error on its weight plate. Legally it's empty weight is it's MTPLM and therefore it cannot run on public roads with any load on board, even it's motor mover puts it over it's limit.
The van was originally supplied by Lowdhams but the plate would have been applied by Bad Waldsee. The owner has spoken to Lowdhams, who fobbed him off. He's going to have another go at them and if they refuse to act he'll try to get an amended plate from Bad Waldsee.
Interestingly the listed MIRO for that model is 1340kg and it seems that all the options added to bring it to Lowdhams UK spec. added 177kg to get to 1517kg. That did include an oven and microwave plus a lot of other stuff.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Last edited Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:07 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:04 pm
by P401107 | 23 Posts

Thank you for your replies
I'm sure we will never exceed the MTPLM
As we travel very light in the caravan just basics
All the weight is in the tow vehicle so not a problem
Good interesting replies
Again thank you
Regards Paul

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:43 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Paul, have a play here. You will be surprised at what your actual "empty" van weighs. https://www.eriba.com/gb/en/configurator/touring#/
You may also find the attached sheet of weights I carried on my 2017 Triton 430 useful to work out a "full" weight. The result will probably surprise you.

Colin

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
weights updated.docx weights updated.docx

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Captain Calamity likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:46 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:30 am
by P401107 | 23 Posts

Good morning
Sat down with a cuppa tea this morning and went through the configuration and that was a shock £34220
Then gas clothes cooking utensils pans ect
Colin your absolutely right I thought I was traveling light especially when I took a look at you itinerary. That is a excellent idea
Massive thanks Paul

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:48 pm

I've just sat down and compared your weight spreadsheet to mine Colin.

There are some variances in weights and a few items I've not listed but you had and also some the other way around.

Things I can't find on your list:
Aquaroll
Wastemaster
Awning carpet
Windbreaks
Books & magazines
Drinks
Footwear

On the other hand, things you list which I'd forgotten to account for:
Mugs & glasses
Kettle (we are a toast free zone in the van)
Cleaning fluids
Toilet chemicals
Throws
Watering can
Dustpan & brush
Aquaroll hose/Collapz waste system

There are also a number of things you load that we don't:
Bike rack
Iron & board
Toaster
Induction hob
Stools
Topper
Electric heater
Jack

I shall be reviewing my spreadsheet accordingly.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:03 am

Andy,
Aquaroll - don't use one due to onboard tank
Wastemaster - black bucket used instead
Awning carpet - that's on the list
Windbreaks - sore point, about 20 years ago I bought [under instructions] a stunning tartan style canvas one, about 7m long, hardwood poles with metal caps and spikes. It has never been used.
Books & magazines - I forgot that one
Drinks - liquides carried in car footwells where possible
Footwear - stacker box in car
Attached is the weights sheet for my current Eriba. This has a max load of 1500kg, so I'm usually running about 200kg under on shorter UK trips and 150kg on longer France trips.

Colin

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
Feeling weights.docx Feeling weights.docx

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:40 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

This is probably a silly question, but wouldn't it be easier to load up the caravan with all the gubbins you usually take and put it on a weighbridge?

That way you'll now exactly what you're doing and - I say this reluctantly, because I know some people actually enjoy doing spreadsheets - it saves all the palaver of weighing your magazines and your watering can separately and totting up a column of figures.

And I apologise in advance for what I'm about to say, but a kilogram for a watering can?

Really?

If you had to take a watering can, couldn't you go and get a cheap plastic job from a pound shop?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:56 am

Is it April?

This surely can't be right, I'm partially agreeing with Mr Pue.

I use a Collapz watering can, none of your pound shop tatt, but I'm sure it doesn't weigh a whole kg. Maybe the big steel ones do though. As for 2kg for a dustpan and brush that does seem a tad on the weighty side.

Back in the day when we lived in North Yorkshire I could weigh the van at the Harrogate Borough depot but in the last 14 years down here near Keele Uni I have no idea where there might be a weighbridge.

Bentley factory?
Mornflake oat mill?
AO warehouse?
Emma Bridgewater's pottery?
JCB's plant?
Bargain Booze distribution centre?
Rymans head office?

PS one of the great benefits of spreadsheets is they do the totting Up for you.

Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:59 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:13 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #10
I have no idea where there might be a weighbridge.
I've got a nagging feeling that I'm on a hiding to nothing and that you'd probably rather do a spreadsheet anyway...

Weighbridges

I doubt any of them are close to you, but assuming your spreadsheeting activities leave you enough time to go away with your caravan, you could always stop by one en route to somewhere.

Unless you habitually change your watering can, you only really need to do it the once.

scouteralf likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:42 am
by John Watson | 6 Posts

I’ve used Michelin weighbridge in Stoke on Trent which should be near to SDA. But if someone wants to find one it’s easier enough to locate on Google.
Less time than weighing the items listed above and then recording them etc. #lifetooshort

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Last edited Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:43 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:07 pm

I think a weighbridge is an excellent idea. Have a look here:- https://www.gov.uk/find-weighbridge
I rounded the watering can weight up as I knew I would underestimate somewhere else, eg Mrs eribaMotters clothes.

Colin

Steamdrivenandy likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:49 pm
by cabbie37 | 643 Posts

Some years ago, after having loaded the van prior to leaving on holiday, I took it to the local weighbridge and was a bit gobsmacked to find I was well over the weight limit - 1100KG on a 1000Kg axle. I still went off on my travels, though, as I wasn't loaded any differently from previous trips. However, it did lead me to an axle upgrade later.

For the sake of a relatvely small outlay, I do suggest that you give it thought when your van is loaded ready for departure... at least you will know where you stand...

John Watson likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:58 pm

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #13
I think a weighbridge is an excellent idea. Have a look here:- https://www.gov.uk/find-weighbridge
I rounded the watering can weight up as I knew I would underestimate somewhere else, eg Mrs eribaMotters clothes.

Colin

I put a 2% contingency into the spreadsheet to allow for under estimates, odd bits of ullage sculling about the van, etc, currently reading 4kg for the van and 5kg for the car.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 55 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1