RE: Fixing Band

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:23 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Yes, good thinking Steve. So is there any prospect of someone fitting one and keeping the spare wheel under the van?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:25 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:31 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

That is a good location forward of the spare wheel. I've seen them at the very back of the floor and wondered how they would get on with ground clearance.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:10 am

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #16
Yes, good thinking Steve. So is there any prospect of someone fitting one and keeping the spare wheel under the van?
Randa

Sorry Steve. Just noticed that you posted three times. I only saw the last one but I've caught up now .
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Inspecta_Gadget likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:49 am
by GCL | 122 Posts

Before the spare wheel, it seems like an excellent solution to me.

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430

Last edited Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:51 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:51 am

Not sure you'll have the space Giancarlo as you own a Triton and Steve has managed to fit his on a Troll.
Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:04 pm
by GCL | 122 Posts

Thanks for the information. However, the idea remains that seems even safer to me. by placing it towards the outside you could risk sliding on the ramps of garages or ferries

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:25 am
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

If it had been a choice between the two, the spare wheel carrier would have gone- I’m not a big fan of that design and I dread the day that I ever have to use it.

If it wasn’t for the dog, the spare would travel in the back of the car. I’m still considering travelling with it inside the van.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling “Little Flo”, a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:39 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

Having had to change a ruined tyre in a lay-by in France we were very grateful that it was in the van rather than underneath. Our first Eriba was a PuckL and they had an enlarged locker that carried the spare. We only discovered the underslung spare tyre when we changed vans and decided we didn’t like the idea. We carry our spare under the bed which is left made up in our Troll. If anyone has managed to easily remove the spare from that carriage when the van is tilted from a flat I take my hat of to them, IMHO it’s a design error.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:36 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

Looking at fitting something similar under my current Triton (or my ideal Troll 540) - will investigate where it can go... in preparation I have bought some stainless steel fixing band - seems more sensible than galvanised.

I currently have a spare wheel under the van - customised for easier release and with the wheel in a waterproof drawstring bag - but am considering removing it entirely

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 10.33.16.png 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:38 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:31 am
by GCL | 122 Posts

Quote: Simboc2004 wrote in post #24
Looking at fitting something similar under my current Triton (or my ideal Troll 540) - will investigate where it can go... in preparation I have bought some stainless steel fixing band - seems more sensible than galvanised.

I currently have a spare wheel under the van - customised for easier release and with the wheel in a waterproof drawstring bag - but am considering removing it entirely

Hi Simboc2004, could you take a photograph of your customization?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:32 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

We got back from Burford today and while cleaning the van, I decided to have a look at the spare carrier.
The padlock opened ok and the carrier dropped down ok.
I noticed that the tyre was flat, after pumping it up, I noticed the valve
had split. My mate at the local garage fitted a new valve and I fitted the spare back in the carrier. I don't know how the valve got damaged.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:13 pm

Here's my spare wheel conversion in photo form. It looks a bit strange, but have been trialling it. Having realised the problems with easily (if at all) being able to remove the spare wheel from the cradle underneath in an emergency, I removed the welded in centre bolt so that the wheel could be slid out. This works well, however the wheel is then free to move around a bit within the cradle, so I have used some ultra lightweight dense packing foam at the back to keep the wheel forward in the cradle, and also added some thick pipe insulation to the retaining uprights on both sides to stop side to side movement. All has gone well in the couple of hundred miles I have towed since then. I have also replaced the padlock (prone to seize up) with a simple stainless steel allen bolt and nylock nut - easy to remove with basic tools, but still relatively theft resistant. The wheel itself is in a drawstring tightened, moisture resistant bag - the drawstring being on top/inside the wheel. That keeps off the road crud.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_2715.JPG 
 IMG_2716.JPG 

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:45 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Well done Mr Heath Robinson.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:50 pm

A more stylish version will appear when I can be bothered...

Last edited Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:14 am
by GCL | 122 Posts

Good idea. Here we say: "little expense, great return". Thank you

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 41 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105690 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3