Tow Car Insurance

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:52 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Has anyone else experienced a massive hike in car insurance costs this year? We are being asked to pay 50% more than last year which takes it to over £300 per annum.

Comprehensive Insurance with a full (protected) no claim bonus on a car that they now only value at a couple of thousand quid.

We are with LV but when we shop around there is nothing cheaper.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

RE: Tow Car Insurance

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Roger, my yearly premium with Aviva jumped last Sept from £220 to £270 a year, fully comp, protected no claims £150 total x/s.
Last year I had made a no fault claim after somebody had reversed into me, so thought this to blame. I soon found this was not the case and I was lucky to get away with such a small increase. Like you I searched but could not find anything even close to my renewal request.
I've used GoCompare for Mrs eribaMotters car insurance on a 2014 VW Up. For this we pay about £140 per year with our farmer son included. GoCompare includes nearly every insurance provider with the exception of Direct Line and possibly Tesco.
I know we are "a few years younger" than you, but my 84 year old uncle has also used GoCompare and more recently Adrian Flux. He had used them for many years on his his toy, a Range Rover 4x4 on a limited mileage for off roading and winter use. He found them so competitive I believe he now uses them on his main vehicle.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:08 pm
by scouteralf | 114 Posts

my car insurance with LV jumped from around £290 to £nearly £700. When I asked why they said it was aged related and that was the best they could do, I am just coming up to 75years old.

shopped around and now insured for £300 for the same policy, Insurance is a complete joke, no wonder a lot do not bother.

troll 530GT pushing Skoda Karoq (petrol)
Randa france, John Cross and Sportique like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:01 pm
by Sparks | 33 Posts

I was also with LV and my car insurance jumped by 50% this month. Many other insurers were even more expensive. But surprise, surprise CMC were significantly cheaper. Exactly the same has happened with my house insurance with LV and I reinsured with Nationwide again at significantly less cost I’ve been with LV for many years have always found them to be reasonable, I cannot understand why they are making such significant across the board increases.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:44 pm
by Old Rocker | 493 Posts

I'm afraid my attitude is one strike and you're out. If I find a cheaper quote I don't give my last insurer a 2nd chance to "match" they should have given me the best quote in the 1st place. LV , who I was with for years, tried a massive increase last year, Aviva quoted half of that, you can guess who got my business

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:31 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.460 Posts

Ditto, car insurance was with Saga, too be fair they were brilliant when we had to claim. Last year £300, this year they wanted over £700, only way to get the premium down to £400 was to have a £1000 voluntary excess. Went to CMC, like for like totalled £300, guess who we went with. Interestingly C&CC wanted £500. Who’d have thought the CMC would be cheaper than the comparison websites?

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 am
by Bryn | 993 Posts

Best quote I got was still £150 more and no windscreen cover ! told it was age related

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:30 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Quote: scouteralf wrote in post #3
my car insurance with LV jumped from around £290 to £nearly £700. When I asked why they said it was aged related and that was the best they could do, I am just coming up to 75years old.

That makes my blood boil.

On the one hand they try to tell you that the younger drivers are responsible for making more claims and then the say that it's us oldies who are being penalised.

In the past I've been able to negotiate them down by quite a lot but the young lady on the phone yesterday was having none of it. Very polite but she could only give us £15 off as that was her instruction. No point in referring it upwards as they have been told that we would have to look elsewhere which of course we had already done. I did notice that one of the five options was missing and that was the one where you press number 5 if you are thinking of leaving them.

The trouble is that our insurance is so complicated with all the add ons that it's difficult to compare like for like so for the sake of lets say £50 a year, we can no longer be bothered. Bad attitude we know.

The most annoying thing is that the excuse of expensive parts and repair is a big issue with them but surely as our car is now "old technology" it's far cheaper to repair than a 30 grand plus modern vehicle.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm
by Crystal | 245 Posts

What is ironic is that last year our insurance with LV went down!

1999 Eriba Troll
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:51 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Putting a younger low risk person on your insurance can reduce your premium. I put my daughter on in case I was ever incapacitated and it worked.

Steve

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:46 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Stroll on, just had AA Insurance renewal in for the VW UP and it's gone from £140 to £260.
A GoCompare search soon showed up a host of sensible alternatives including CoOp at £170 with a lower x/s.
As we've said in the past, always shop around.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
scouteralf and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 20 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105690 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0