When is the best time to book or to buy insurance?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:55 am
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I've always been in the habit of advance booking our caravan holiday in France, initially through necessity when working and then through the realisation that it is the cheapest way.
An article I read some weeks ago confirmed this and was more prescriptive. To summarise:-

4-6 months in advance - holidays in general that do not include a booking for transport/travel - eg UK break
9 months in advance - longer distance holidays in general that DO include or require a booking for transport/travel - eg Channel crossing and campsite
10-12 months in advance - long haul holidays - eg Australia

As a follow up, regarding insurance. I have heard on several occasions that the golden time to get the car renewal quote is 3-4 weeks before due. 4 weeks ago we received an auto renewal from The AA for one of our cars. It had gone from £140 to £260. We declined this, went on GoCompare and got it down to about £170. Last night I went to accept the quote, realised I had the day wrong by one and so updated it. The premium shot up by over £40 as it was now seeing it as a new quote, with just days to go before it was due. Fortunately I used an earlier e-mail and accessed the original quote and accepted it, but it obviously includes a day of overlap between the old and new policies.

So for car insurance it would appear 3-4 weeks is the best time to get your new quote, and I believe most companies will honour the quote for 30 days.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
scouteralf and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: When is the best time to book or to buy insurance?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:02 pm
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

I've just been notified of the renewal cost for our Triton from May - and it's exactly the same price as last year. I'm very happy with that, so won't be looking elsewhere.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:38 pm

My lovely other half said she read a week or so ago that premiums should now be starting to drop. I hope she is correct, she normally is.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:44 pm

I just swapped "registered keeper" status on one of our cars from my wife to me. This meant I had to cancel and renew our (otherwise excellent) car insurance (through Volvo cars), however the price went up nearly £100 annually - despite me being a lower risk. Bl**dy annoying as all cover/mileage/extras are exactly the same - just main name change. So not all insurance is coming down - yet!

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:11 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

My car insurance is cheaper with my daughter added as a driver.
Steve

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:28 am

This link may be of use. It allows you to get a premium comparison on different job titles. For example, our son changed his title to farm manager as 4 of them run the farm. If he became the seeds person, then his premium would drop further.
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insura...nce-job-picker/

Colin

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:41 pm

When we moved house 4 years ago we remained in the same county, the same village/rural setting and the same parking layout, however, on changing address, we had to pay a considerable "extra" premium on our (then) Direct Line policies. As a result, come renewal, I swapped companies. I can't stand this punishment of people being loyal, with rewards only given if you swap. Personally, I don't enjoy trawling the internet for deals all the time - unless it's for caravan or car accessories...

Rant over...

Last edited Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:41 pm | Scroll up

RE: Registered keeper?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:02 pm
by Bryn | 993 Posts

I thought it was possible to have Husband & Wife as the joint registered keeper on registered keeper?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:10 am
by Skoderiba | 209 Posts

I've just received the renewal notification for my Troll from Lifesure. £224. £20 more than last year.
Quotes from alternative providers. Towergate £197 and Ping £88.
Obviously Ping is an attractive quote but I've never heard of them.
Does anyone have experience of this Insurance co?

Fortibus es in Ero
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:24 am

I know there are variables, but I'm surprised by Lifesure. We returned to them mid February and paid £212.
2022/23 Eriba Feeling 425, £28K new for old, £1K personal effect, £2K equipment, £500 awning, legal cover, 30 days Europe, £150 voluntary x/s.
Stored at home in Devon with hitch lock and wheel lock.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 40 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105690 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4