Battery life

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:05 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

My 320 has a Varta dual purpose agm battery & as far as I know it’s the original from when the caravan was new in 2017 not that you can guarantee age as the tyres were 2 years old when they built the caravan which of course I binned. I do try to look after the battery but I keep waiting for it to fail. Car batteries an often fail 3 years old depending on their life but a premium Varta dual purpose AGM I never used before and wondered what typical life span people have had. I also add my caravan has a motor mover but I do plug the caravan periodically though out the year

Scroll up

RE: Battery life

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:50 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I am now on my 5th Eriba and have not had to replace a battery. My first was a 2001 sold in 2007. My next van did not have a battery. My 2006 was sold in 2016. My 2017 was sold in 2023. These had all been garage stored with the electric hook up permanently plugged in.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:09 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

I must have a look at my charger fitted on the caravan as from what I read AGM batteries need the right charger. As I sad earlier I have a 2017 320 which I got the July/August before covid hit and I’m presuming it’s all original factory charger & battery but myself coming from the mainly tyre trade but 40 years ago I regularly used to fill countless tractor batteries up with acid and a batteries life starts when it’s filled & you see them in some caravan places possibly years old & had zero maintenance since they were first filled with acid & maintenance is critical & the big ones aren’t cheap

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:16 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

I have a 2015 Familia 320 with a motor mover from new, the Varta AGM battery is still going strong. I tend to have a 3/3 rule, every 3 weeks I plug the EHU in for 3 days to top up the battery 😊

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:51 am
by JefL | 95 Posts

A van built in 2017 should have a Schaudt CSV402 charger/distribution unit installed. This is the correct charger, and has a setting for, an AGM battery.
My Varta was new in the van when purchased in 2016 and is still (touch wood) working correctly. Like Colin my van is garaged and is plugged in all the time, it also has a mover.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:18 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

It’s good to know that everyone seems to get a good few years out of their batteries, I was just wondering purely with going up Scotland at some point & wouldn’t want it to fail while I was up there. I do tend to check voltage every so often, not when it’s been on charge though because you tend to get a surface voltage and plug it on charge every 2 months usually.
Many thanks for the feedback

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:04 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.005 Posts

Two things kill a battery. Being discharged and cold weather. The two together are the worst.

When on charge a volt meter will read around 13.8 volts, that's the input voltage from the charger. To get a settled voltage reading, the charger should be off for about 30 minutes to allow the chemicals reaction to settle. A fully charged battery should read around 12.6 volts and at 12.0 volts it's almost flat. Lower than that risks permanent damage, especially if it's frozen.

A 100W solar panel will usually keep a battery in good condition over winter but failing that removing it and putting it on a smart charger. Aldi do one at a good price, will cosset it, or if keeping in the van a day's charging once a month is all that's necessary.

As to battery life, that's a as long as a piece of string question.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Last edited Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:05 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 40 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105690 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1