Roof zip waterproof?

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:27 pm
by thebonze | 4 Posts

Hi All,

Had our first weekend in our Eriba this weekend, which was great!

Unfortunately the weather was horrendous, but looking on the positive side its water proofing was tested, and fortunately passed, pretty much, apart from minor drips getting through the stitching on the roof canvas, admittedly after 48 hours of sideways rain, so the canvas itself was soaked.

I wanted to check if this a known issue we’ll have to live with and be mindful of - ie, closing the lid when possible etc, and how many others have experienced the same. I did notice one or two similar posts a while back, but nothing definitive.

On inspection i cant see any issue with the stitching itself and just seems to be the way its designed.

I’ll raise it under warranty, but would appreciate your thoughts/experience.

Thanks

Scroll up

RE: Roof zip waterproof?

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:28 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Driving heavy rain will get through most things, even the seal around some double glazed windows at home, so I'm not surprised some got in through the zip. On new canvas I'd also expect a little around the stitching holes, just like on a tent or awning, but with time this should stop.
The most common problem regarding moisture from the pop top area is usually condensation forming on the aluminium trim that can drip down onto you.
In heavy rain, strong winds and in one case low February temperatures we have slept with the top down. At 5' 8" this has not been a problem for me and with the roof vent at the rear of the van it is perfectly safe to do so.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:11 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

We've pulled the roof down is strong gales and it's reduced wind Rock and noise level. And stitching can leak until its been wetted a few times and expanded into the stitching holes.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:54 am
by Islay | 215 Posts

Just make sure it's dry before you put down the roof long term.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:27 pm
by Old Rocker | 491 Posts

Are you sure the drips weren't from the trim above the canvas?

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:17 am
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

It's well worth proofing the canvas - someone else on here (Roger I think) recommended 303 Fabric Guard, which I have used on the fabric attaching my one year old Kampa Air Awning to the rail - and it is excellent. I am about to reproof my (20 year old) roof fabric and expect it to do a similar job. It certainly won't make it worse...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:30 pm
by thebonze | 4 Posts

Thank you for the replies and sharing of Eriba knowledge!

As suggested above it seems to be due to the prolonged period of sideways rain drenching the canvas, which is designed in a way to be sheltered by the pop up overhang.

It definitely wasn’t condensation from the rail as it was visibly dripping through, very very slowly from the stitching.

In future we’ll drop the lid down sooner for similar conditions as that seems to be the tried and tested solution. Although I’m also considering a suitable fabric waterproofer on the stitching as a back-up👍

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:54 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

How old is your Eriba? Usually after a couple of good soakings the holes around the stitching shrink as the fabric has swelled.
If you do decide to use a fabric water proofer then double check the fabric type. I know on my Feeing the material differs to the Touring;s I have owned, but I'm unsure if this is due to it being a different model or simply a newer model.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:13 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

I have just given the roof canvas on my 20 year old Triton a good scrub and hose down - no leaks at all. And I've yet to proof it...

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105658 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2