Toilet door top catch

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:16 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

Just back from Carfest North in our Eriba - had a fab 3 night break.

Have an issue though with our 2015 Triton 430 and hoping someone can suggest a fix.

The top catch on our bathroom door (made up of a pin piece screwed to the door and a hole piece it goes into screwed to the bathroom side panel) keep coming loose and doesn't always line up.

I can adjust the pin at home and get it nicely lined up with the hole, then we get to site after travelling, pitch up and the pin now doesn't quite line up with hole when the door closes, you have to manhandle the side panel a little to close the door ! I assume there is some flex in the chassis dependant on ground level when pitching.

The screws holding the pin piece on the door have come loose so often I will have to employ the matchstick trick to give them something to screw into to hold them.

Wondering can this catch be replaced with something that works ?

Last edited Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:31 pm | Scroll up

RE: Toilet door top catch

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:52 pm
by Sashella (deleted)

Ours does this too. We haven’t kept adjusting it in case it messes up the screw hole. Not sure what the solution is. Will wait for replies.

Now have our 530 that pushes our Volvo
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:03 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

You are not alone with this problem. The bathroom wall flexes [more so on post 2010 vans].
I set mine up at home, adjusted the locating pin on the door and araldited it in place. When i arrived on site the thing did not line up, and subsequently never seems to.
A little push or pull of the wall seems to get things back in line, but also so does adjusting the corner steady on that front corner. The floor also flexes.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:05 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Sorry Spapro can't help. Our top door catch is constantly coming open but, as yet, nothing has come undone. Perhaps it is just a matter of time before our screws come out. MikeT

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:11 am
by robert wilson (deleted)

The same happens to our 2017 420 GT and always has . These days we don't worry and its always possible to close the door and problem has not deteriorated . I have never owned another caravan so can't compare quality but we consider that Eriba build quality is adequate but not brilliant. Still love the van though

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:36 am
by Frantone (deleted)

I think that by fixing the door and cabinet frames together with that top catch thing any flexing is transmitted straight to the hinges which then either pull out or break.
TonyP

Troll 540GT (2013) gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:39 am
by johnf (deleted)

Exactly the same with our 2013 Triton 430. After many attempts to remedy, I have pretty much given up and learnt to live with it.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:33 am
by gattim (deleted)

We fitted a flat slim bolt to the inside of the toilet door at the top so it could be closed by putting a hand over the door under the canvas privacy thing, only doable if the pop-top is still up. We found on our 530 that the door would otherwise often come open in transit, and if it wasn’t prevented from opening (by placing something heavy against it) then it tended to knacker the hinges. Having the bolt meant the door could flex ‘along’ the bolt but wouldn’t open. It also meant we didn’t need to always have some object against the door when travelling (but we DID have to remember to do the bolt!)

Keith and Sue, Steve and Debbie and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:29 pm
by Spapro (deleted)

Some consolation I am not alone, thanks for the responses.

I did try adjusting the front corner steady on the toilet side but didn't make a lot of difference.

In terms of function it looks as though this pin and hole assembly gaves the side wall some lateral support when travelling but other than that can't see it having any use.

Once pitched it means you need 2 hands to close the toilet door - one to close the door and the other to pull the wall little so it fits together !

Annoying more than anything. Might look at a flat, slim bolt as suggested by gattim which can be used during traveling then just left alone when pitched.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:12 pm
by thecolliss | 137 Posts

Totally agree Tony.. a bungy from the toilet window to the toilet door lever allows flexing but keeps the door shut in transit.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:44 pm
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

I saw a cracking solution somewhere. Sorry I can’t find the link, but it is to replace the pin and bracket with a magnetic catch from a diy store. The sort of thing for cupboards for a few £s. Haven’t tried it myself, but looks a good idea.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #3
You are not alone with this problem. The bathroom wall flexes [more so on post 2010 vans].
I set mine up at home, adjusted the locating pin on the door and araldited it in place. When i arrived on site the thing did not line up, and subsequently never seems to.
A little push or pull of the wall seems to get things back in line, but also so does adjusting the corner steady on that front corner. The floor also flexes.

Colin

Get the feeling German Engineering is not what its cracked up to be! Had a few problems with my Frenchie 2006 Troll but in general think build quality is better!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:16 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

It’s not really build quality - there is always some flex in a van and the pin/hole has a tolerance of no more than a mm or 2.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:28 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Nthurrzzz wrote in post #13
It’s not really build quality - there is always some flex in a van...
I reckon that's pretty much spot on.

If the body was totally rigid - and bearing in mind how rudimentary the suspension is - every single bump would be transmitted to a set of interior fittings made from lightweight ply held together with the kind of fixings that come with a cheap flat-pack kitchen.

The inside would probably be a pile of bits when you arrived on site.

I'm not sure it's worth spending hours with your chin in your hands trying to come up with a beautifully-engineered solution to holding the door closed in transit because nobody's ever in there to admire it.

We keep the door closed using a similar jury-rigged solution to Rory's (no offence intended). Rather than use a bungee - which is probably better anyway - we use a bit of string across the outside of the door. One end is tied to a coat hook on the outside washroom wall round the corner over the front dinette, and the other end has a loop which goes over a second coat hook on the narrow panel between the toilet and the wardrobe doors.

It's bit Heath Robinson, but it keeps the door shut and allows it to move relative to the washroom structure, something it does when you walk around inside while you're on site anyway.

In my humble opinion the more catches, latches and bolts you add in an attempt to keep everything tightly buttoned up while you're on the road, the more things there are to fall off or break the first time you misjudge a kerb or a pothole.

Randa france, and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Having recently tried out a rear dashcam in the back of the van, the crashing and banging going on over relatively smooth roads that can be heard in the video playback is quite alarming. No wonder door hinges and catches work loose.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
atkinbrown likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105662 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2