RE: Toilet door top catch

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:59 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Stevejoyce,

Eriba's wiring code is blue positive, brown negative. Most confusing.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:53 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

I was down at AL today and noticed the Troll that had been on show at the Caravan Show was missing a couple of top cupboard doors. I said to my other half a fix to this would be a short retaining strap that could be hooked inside the cupboard when in transit. This would allow unhooking for full opening when static. The above strap looks like that idea but I'd have a smaller angle for strength and support for the hinges.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:37 pm
by Valjoneribafan | 43 Posts

I am on my 2nd post 2010 Eribas, Both had this problem with the top locating pin, took them both off after numerous adjusting
efforts, I use a bungee from the door handle in transit, have had no problem with door opening and hinges coming loose.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:44 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I did come to this conclusion. For most things it wouldn't matter, but LEDs will not work with the wrong polarity.

Is it just that Eriba like to be different?

Triton 420 towed by Volvo S40 drive
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:15 pm
by Butterfly (deleted)

My husband has used two small nuts and bolts to secure the top catch. We have just come back from a five week touring holiday and so far have had no problem with it.

Joan.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:27 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

magnetic catches probably would sort the door, but the resistance to door opening may cause issue.

Eriba troll 540 2003 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:36 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

Something like this might help while travelling? https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Cabin-Ho...-100mm/p/103383

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:54 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Thank goodness for our brilliant archives. A problem has developed again with my Toilet door top catch and I knew I had read a thread on it years ago, when I was merely Soulbluesman....!

The new screws that I put in before our recent visit to Angelsey were all on the floor by the time we arrived in Penhros C & M C site - big disappointment as I thought it seemed sorted.

So I traced the old thread and read through it again. Intrigued by Cameron's idea of pipe insulation and that is now already on. Tomorrow morning I will be performing the matchstick trick and may even play with Colin's glue idea.

Going up to Meathop Hill for a few days and so will bring the thread 3 years up to date with report back on success or not.........................

MikeT

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:29 pm
by scouteralf | 114 Posts

swapped my silly locking system for a small magnetic catch similar to a cupboard door catch

troll 530GT pushing Kia sportage awd
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:26 am

Hi Alf

Yes I read on the thread that a couple of people had done this.

I got one out of my shed and held it up against the toilet door and it looked as if it would work fine. I decided that it would be plan C, if the matchsticks and the insulation roll didn't work well-enough

Thanks
Mike

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:15 am
by Easypeasy (deleted)

I have come to the conclusion that this catch is meant to be left loose, the hole is tapered specifically to allow for different male part positions (no puns please) due to twisting the chassis when levelling with the jacks, tightening the screws for this catch will only make the situation worse. Not a good design I know & short be changed by Hymer, the magnetic catch idea sounds good & would give greater flexibility.

Frantone likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:03 pm
by Frantone | 102 Posts

Easypeasy…That is right. The flexing of the cabinetry needs some wriggle room!
If the door is held rigidly the flex is transferred to the hinges which, therefore, are ripped out.
Another solution is to put some sort of brace between the front of the toilet wall and the pop top rim.

Last edited Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:45 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

If it’s any consolation (I’m guessing everyone is shouting NO!) Ours was loose and the screw holes ripped by the time we got our new 530 home from the dealers.
It was pretty obvious that the walls flexing while travelling exert more force than the tiny screws could hope to hold, so I moved the door-mounted bracket to the box in the loft where all unwanted bits are stored, and it doesn’t come loose any more!🤪
I spent £9 on a wood filling kit from Wickes, where you can colour match with pots of filler, and the raggy holes in the foil (nearly said veneer😂) aren’t noticeable either.
We went with a thin bungy -cord between the handle and the coat-hooks.

I must say, this one small fitting ruined my perception of Eriba build standards. It smacks of a ‘fix’ that is worse than the original problem.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:17 pm

update from this weeks short trip to Meathop Fell C & M C site.

Didn't have time to do the matchstick trick. Just refastened latch screws and they were on the floor in the bathroom when we arrived. However the pipe insulation kept the toilet door closed on the way there and partially closed on the way back.

however when I came back from the showers Kath was holding a cupboard door in her hands, claiming total innocence...........................!

This is our first cupboard door to come off in our 6 years of ownership. Fortunately next morning our Th'Eriba was going into ALV at Tebay for its annual service. They showed us where the ply had split slightly but managed to re-attach it for us. Some more work needed methinks, possibly with some wood glue.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:37 am
by dhj_oceandrive | 4 Posts

The top latch didn’t last long on our Ocean Drive so we popped it in the drawer. In the last couple of months we’ve had issues with the hinges coming loose on the door and not quite sure what to do beyond screwing them back in after each trip. Bizarrely, the door never opens in transit, it just stays shut and rattles the hinges loose! The dealer has suggested retrofit of the new lock and latches from the 2024 model so not sure whether to just do that. Any advice appreciated.

IMG_0903.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_0904.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_0905.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_0906.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105661 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3