waste pipes under the caravan

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:40 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

Since I have owned 340 Tritons I have moaned about carrying multiple waste containers - one for each side - to catch the waste water from the kitchen sink (door side) and from the bathroom sink (opposite side). This is particularly difficult when you have the awning up and wind blocker installed. That and the step being down makes it very hard to access the waste tank under the kitchen sink.

Last summer I had some spare thinking time on site (waiting for it to stop raining and hoping to see the RAF flypast for the Coronation forming up overhead...) and I realised it should be possible to transfer the waste water from one side to the other of the Eriba underneath, meaning only one waste container would be needed. I drew up a plan and searched online for acceptable solutions. A trip to the local Screwfix and I came back with a 3m length of grey 32mm waste pipe and a selection of solvent weld fittings. After a bit of fiddling around and cutting down I made up a length of pipe with a swept bend at one end and a swept tee and another swept bend at the other, which deposited into the Wastemaster.. This worked fine for that week away, saving much hassle when it came to emptying. The only snag was that it couldn't remain under the caravan whilst being towed, because it stuck out about 20/30cm on the offside. This then became a pain to transport, being quite long and a bit wet/mucky.

So, Plan B came into action this winter (not the rapper). I realised that, if I could make a removable section at the Wastemaster end, i could have a permanently fixed transfer pipe and then just push fit the business end on on arrival on site. Here came the next snag - for some strange reason push-fit and solvent welded waste pipes are different sizes (and sometime different materials). A solvent welded pipe is either too big or too small for a 32mm or 40mm push-fit coupler. So I googled and eventually found that a different plumbing company made a push-fit to solvent weld adaptor. In ABS (so compatible with the pipe I already had). But only in white (I really wanted a neutral grey, or black). Ah well, it was worth a try. The part arrived (postage costing more than the coupling grrr) and I cut the existing pipe and made good.

It works really well - I also discovered that I didn't need the posh clamps and studs I thought I would need to hold the pipe firmly in place, instead being able to cable tie the pipe to the existing water pipe transfer system supports. That works brilliantly. And weight is saved too. I was worried it might foul the brake rod, but it doesn't. All I need is another trip away to test it out, which will be happening at the end of April.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_2707.JPG 
 IMG_2708.JPG 
 IMG_2709.JPG 
 IMG_2710.JPG 
 IMG_2711.JPG 
 IMG_2712.JPG 
 IMG_2713.JPG 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

eribaMotters and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:47 pm | Scroll up

RE: waste pipes under the caravan

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:48 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Thanks Simboc, very interesting.............................................however my lasting thought is are you and Colin distant relatives, given your joint (!!) love of designing, fiddling and fettling?

MikeT

eribaMotters and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:43 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

And breaking things?

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:33 pm

My brother from another mother...?

It may just be that we are, I seem to remember, both Design & Technology teachers.

Simon

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:23 am
by Islay | 215 Posts

When our mover was fitted, they just cut off the kitchen side tank so we put a bucket under the pipe. Your solution is more elegant.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:20 pm

Thank you - it's great when a plan comes together and is even better (and simpler to do) than predicted. It will cause me a lot less hassle on site; as the prime "night soil man" I have had enough of wrestling a full waste tank out from behind the step!

Happy to share the design/measurements for anyone wanting to do the same. I can make another couple up (from the leftover parts i had to buy from Screwfix) if anyone local to me is interested. All you need provide is a length of 3m 32mm solvent weld pipe. It should fit any Tritons or Trolls of standard width with kitchen one side and washroom the other.

Cheers,Simon

Last edited Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:25 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:55 pm
by Erik (deleted)

1WATER.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Snap

Last edited Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:00 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:19 pm

Did you bring the waste across in ridged hose? What model do you have? Obviously one with the sink further back in the van?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:27 pm
by Erik (deleted)

The van is a GT430, I did not use any flexihose all push fit so I can easily remove them if I have to.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:06 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

Is that the title of a song, like 'Red Sails in the Sunset'?

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:26 pm

... Reminds me of you...

Well, as a famous Yorkshireman once said - "There's money in't muck". Seems a chunk of work, but it makes Pitch Life much easier (Another song? is that by Blur?)

The less time I have to spend handling muck the happier I am . My other half always says she's very happy to do the potty trundle, but it generally seems to be me who actually does it! Down in the Tube (Empty) Station (The Jam?)

I must get a life...

Last edited Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:27 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:41 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.458 Posts

99% of the time I empty our loo, Neil is normally busy fettling something. It’s not normally an issue apart from one site in Norfolk where the diameter of the waste disposal pipe was exactly the same size as the blade which I’d inadvertently left on the top of the cassette. 😲
Luckily it was an Eriba Rally with lots of lovely people, one of whom, lent me a long handled grab. Disaster averted.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:17 pm

That's always my fear at emptying time. The loo end cap's the easiest one to lose - and the blade too, as you say. The French style disposals with a big chute are particularly accommodating of any stray items that fall in! Generally there's no where around to leave lids. Our favourite site in Norfolk has a little wire basket next to the manhole for you to pop lids and such in - you can tell the owners are caravanners themselves!

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:34 pm
by Ulysses | 6 Posts

we have a single drainage point for grey water - that links all sink'shower drains - separate drain for boiler and obviously cassette for toilet - thought this was standard

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

Over the years small specific details have changed on the grey water from the sink and basin. Add in motor movers being fitted and the need to re-route some waste pipes and we have a few more solutions.
Some European vans even came with an on-board grey water tank hung underneath.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4