Water , water everywhere…..

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 9:57 am
by JohnnyGeorge | 4 Posts

I bought a new Triton 430 last year had a couple of nice noneventful trips and put it in storage. As part of that winter storage of course I emptied all the water. Forward to a couple of days ago and I decide to go on my first trip of 2024 everything was going smoothly, until I started to do some washing up in the kitchen sink. Noticed water coming from what I think with the top of the top but it could’ve been from the bottom of the tap. I’m not this up and thought okay I’m just gonna have to use the bathroom sink and tap , off the one day I noticed that the floor in the bathroom was wet checked inside the little cupboard and noticed that was full of water. when I turned on the tap in the bathroom water started running down the inside of the pipe underneath the sink. So I now cannot use Eva sink the fact that both sinks have gone or both taps have gone where I had no problems last time I went out, which was last October suggest that this was a problem caused by water freezing somewhere in the system. What I don’t understand is I emptied all the water from the system like I used to do in my campervan and had done for years so not sure why this problem has risen or is possible , that the problem with both sinks and taps has got nothing to do with winter freezing. I haven’t been in contact with the people I’ve bought it from. It is still under guarantee I think being less than a year old I’m not sure what they will say to this situation. Maybe they will say this is not covered by the guarantee. Just wanna see if anyone’s got any ideas out there , I’d rather not try and do a repair as I know I’m likely to make the situation worse but I would welcome experienced arriba owners’ opinions. Thanks

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Water , water everywhere…..

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 10:44 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

It's highly likely that water left after the drain down has frozen inside the taps, expanded and split them. To reduce that risk taps should always be left open over winter so any freezing water has room to expand. The absolute council of perfection is to use air pressure to blow the water system clear, I believe there's a kit called Floe for the purpose. And you're right, any warranty claim will be rejected. Fingers crossed that there was no left over water in the boiler or pump. As there's little point in using an Eriba dealership, you could save a few Bob and replace the taps yourself or use a local AWS mobile tech.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
JohnnyGeorge likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 10:51 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news JohnnyGeorge but from my experience you have indeed suffered frost damage to the cassette inside the tap.

I only know as this happened to me about three years ago. I'm afraid the only solution is an expensive replacement of both of the taps. I had mine done by adventure Leisure at Tebay as part of the service and if I remember rightly it cost over £200.

The problem is that although you have emptied the water some water remains in the cassette and it is this that has frozen. There are various tricks to remove it totally that we have talked about on the Forum. The one I use is to use a blown up balloon over the end of the tap and let the air blow the water out. Sometimes you can see it coming out of the base of the kitchen tap.

I then wrap the taps themselves in bubble wrap an old woolly sock and then towels to keep the frost out. I took them off yesterday and refired the taps and everything is OK.

I was really brassed off as nothing had happened for the previous four years of over-wintering and the cost was a blow............some handy people have talked ablout replacing their taps with non-Hymer ones, but I don't know how successful they have been.

On the Forum there will be previous posts about removing water from the taps prior to storage

Good luck with it

MikeT

JohnnyGeorge and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 11:19 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

Balloons? I just wrap me gob round ours and blow hard.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
SOULBLUESMAN68 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 11:21 am

Not sure that replacing the taps with different ones would make any difference. The taps used are caravan generic, not made by Hymer, or unique to Hymer and alternatives are just as likely to freeze and crack as any others. In a way its just bad luck because you can go for years of winter's with weeks of freezing temperatures and no problem and then one relatively warm but wet winter with only a couple of freezing nights and the taps split.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 11:26 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Aaron You must be a contortionist or be related to Mick Jagger to be able to do that....................

MikeT

Aaron Calder and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 11:29 am

Whoever said AC was a blow hard.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 11:45 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I think being full of hot air is a definite advantage.

For anyone who has one of the old blue taps in the washroom, this historic document on how to repair one that's been pushed apart by frost will be of interest.

Blue tap repair

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 5:19 pm

Thanks what you say makes sense - what is AWS mobile tech that you mention?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 5:57 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 8:10 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

Mr Calder is not the only one to use that method of removing water from the tap. I must admit it’s not the time you’d want an audience 😂 but it’s simple and low tech, suits me.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 8:45 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

If you are practical, there is another fairly simple modification to help reduce water in the system. I'm assuming for this modification you have the now more commonly fitted large onboard tank. I have fitted an isolation switch to the pump. When I leave site at the end of my last holiday I turn the pump off, open the taps to a central position and all of the valves. When driving home the water has a good chance of fully draining out.
It has hit -9 down here in Devon where my van is stored outside in an exposed position. I've been lucky and gone through the two winters I've been here using this method.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 01, 2024 11:10 pm

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I’ll have to get someone to replace the taps and then apply some of the strategies that have been recommended. Very helpful, thanks again

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 02, 2024 10:18 am
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #4
Balloons? I just wrap me gob round ours and blow hard

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #11
Mr Calder is not the only one to use that method of removing water from the tap. I must admit it’s not the time you’d want an audience 😂 but it’s simple and low tech, suits me.

Why does that not surprise me Julie?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Thu May 02, 2024 10:18 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 02, 2024 3:27 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

What are you suggesting? 🤣

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 40 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2