Gas or Electric?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:56 pm
by robandali (deleted)

Been reading a few posts about electric and heating but got to wondering about wider issues...
In the past, I must admit we've always gone for an EHU and often a hardstanding - we have a 230GT so no washroom and just a portipotti for overnight use.
However, twice this this year, we have found ourselves on none electric pitches... Once at Clitheroe on a C&CC site which was fully booked for EHU and then at Steamer Quay in Totnes which has no EHU.
We currently use 2x 3.9kg propane cylinders. Before Totnes, we replaced one cylinder and stayed for 8 nights running fridge and cooker on gas without anyway emptying the cylinder. Cylinder cost £15.99 as refill. Electric would have cost us £3.50+ Per night on any Club site. So we are seriously wondering whether a EHU is worth it when the weather is reasonable...a grass pitch and no EHU seems to make sense. We have a small solar panel which seems to more than cope with keeping the battery charged despite charging phones and e-readers from the battery. No TV etc so staying off mains appears to make good economic sense and also results in a certain smug feeling :) we do have the standard Gas heater fitted and do use it to boost heating in the evening when cold but it doesn't seem to hammer the gas. Seriously wondering about switching to Calorlite and staying off-grid...
Has anyone else gone down the same route? Do you get shunted to remote areas on Club sites if you don't have an EHU?
Rob

Puck L 230GT following a Peugeot 3008 2.0L diesel
Scroll up

RE: Gas or Electric?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:41 am
by Agger (deleted)

Hi Rob I have thought about both ehu and non ehu, we choose the former and do not carry gas (unless we know we will need it) I agree with the cost issue, some would say they save on every journey by not carrying gas (some carry 2 bottles) I would'nt argue that point as I think it woulb be negligable. I have wild camped over the years and gas then becomes almost essential (unless you carry a small generator, like a Honda e350). I am guessing that to put ehu points on a site that they will occupy the best positions as I feel "most" people would want them, so maybe you could be put somewhere out of the way, but I have no experience of this. As for solar, I feel once the caravan industry catches up! Then more and more options will become available, I would'nt like to see them moulded into the bodywork though, more of an add on, and why can't we have heating tubes on the roof as well? I have used solar showers many many times but the newer tubes seem far more efficeint

I hope I have helped with your dilemma and also answered / asked more questions

Last edited Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:03 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.743 Posts

As you have a Puck, I assume that you don't have a mover? We have, so running a battery charger would be the decider for me. We use gas only as an emergency back-up using electricity for heating, cooking (induction hob and Remoska), refrigeration and recharging toothbrush, phones, radio, laptop etc. We carry Calorlite propane for winter and summer use if necessary and a CampinGaz 907 cylinder to run the Cadac grill and as secondary back-up in case the Calor should be needed and run out in France.

As we use our van mainly on ACSI sites on the Continent where electricity is included in the pitch fees, using gas would make no sense at all.

But your circumstances are completely different so using gas (provided electricity is not included in the pitch fee) could be a more logical alternative.

Horses for courses.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:17 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

over the years of eriba'ring we have only used the ehu on site about 4 times , mostly relying on the solar and gas, the savings can add up to another night.
using solar energy gives freedom of rally sites and can save lots on pitch prices, to enable to buy the gas and have a few extra nights away,
One site encouraged non use even though available and didn't need us to pitch in a particular area,
another sited us under a tree. we got a very good site with seaviews without ehu on another site, but we were the centre of attention as our internal lights were brighter apparently. or was it because we were an eriba

the other times with ehu were winter use, to enable heat all night with the ultraheat

calorlites can vary in price, a caravan place wanted to charge a lot more than a garden centre, both listed on the calor website

I read somewhere that, gas and battery use is cheaper, and greener than electric ehu use. But this all depends on the circumstance.
personally never been on a club site just the 5 cls

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:30 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

No wild camping for us Mrs poptop will not go anywhere without her hair straighteners, we need an EHU that plugs directly a nuclear power station....

I like to pop my top when I go on holiday
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:52 pm
by hob (deleted)

Zitat
plugs directly a nuclear power station.

Good job I'm retired now

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105661 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3