Gas or electric?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:16 pm
by hob (deleted)

A few times now I have seen people say oh I bought so and so electric gadget because the hookup is included in the price of a site.

However the Eriba comes with fitted gas appliances which people seem not to want to use
If I recall correctly my gas cylinder cost around £80.00 when I fitted out my import but the majority of that was buying an English spec cylinder (they used to tell me at work ......milk comes in bottles gas comes in cylinders)

Anyway less of the frivolity, the actual gas was about £18.00 to £20.00 a refill......................

So I got to weighing up the pro's and cons of buying gas and using the installed gear fitted in the Eriba

Conclusions

1 the purchase price of electrical add ons
2 storing said add ons and transporting them and finding somewhere to use them in a van with limited space.
3 The Eriba has 3 gas burners and a built in heater which already take up space without duplicating those with electric equivalents.
4 I'm not the best cook in the world and at home most things get done in an oven................I might think about one of those as an "add on".............which might be electric. or on the other hand I'm away to "get away from it all" so I might eat out anyway

So where was I

I remember...............do I take an electric heater with me or do I use the installed gas one?
Do I need an electric hob or do I use the 3 gas ones which are already there?
I bought an electric kettle but I have a gas whistling one .............do I take both?

I stayed on a site last year that charged separately for electric and was told that a pitch would be about a tenner a night more if electric was included

When we live in a van without a full sized cooker or underfloor heating a freezer and so on ............separate electric charges cannot come soon enough for me when I stop subsidising the 4 wheel gin palaces seen on the caravan channel.

I might add my friend has a simple CL site and is looking at putting up prices by £2.00 a night to cover the rising price of electric

So please debate the "buy electric appliances because we already paid for it"

Against "its built in so why don't we use it" gas appliances allowing for the cost of both and the inconvenience of transporting and using both

Anticipating an interesting debate .............................

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

RE: Gas or electric?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:47 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

We have an induction hob and a Remoska that can be used in the van or outside in the awning via an extension lead when on EHU.

We also have a Cadac barbecue that we use outside or in the awning with a CampinGaz 907 cylinder.

Heating is by means of a Trumatic electric heater and we run the fridge on mains electricity. Our gas system is really only used for back up.

We get hot water via a 2 cup 900W kettle but also carry a 1L whistling kettle for use on the gas stove or on the Cadac.

As most of our caravanning is done on ACSI sites in France with EHU included in the price, it makes no sense to use gas.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:51 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

prefer to use whats in eriba, plus the emergency little tablet fuel metal box hob, for when the gas runs out.
gives choice of campsite hook up or none hook up.. none hook up can save enough to have another night away
saves using extra fuel to tow and keeps payload at a reasonable level for the poor car.

we do have a superkettle, and can use off grid if run out of gas through a gizmo, but if its fitted we use it.

also has amazed me what other people take, infact im thinking id better go to weigh bridge to see why we don't take more.

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:19 pm
by Agger (deleted)

We have a steamer and an induction hob, thats it! Hav'nt used gas in years (except when wild camping) why buy gas to use on a site when hooked up? Some do but I don't, we are well fed lol

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:07 pm
by hob (deleted)

Interesting stuff .......after one of the the mildest (and wettest) winters for about a 100 years fuel bills have remained stable .......or even reduced due to government interference .................... one has to wonder what the difference of the coming war in Ukraine and the resistance to fracking for natural gas in the UK will make to prices of both gas and associated electricity generation

I guess only time will tell ...............................the bigger worry is what will happen if war breaks out in Ukraine and the west feels the need to intervene

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:37 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: hob wrote in post #5

I guess only time will tell ...............................the bigger worry is what will happen if war breaks out in Ukraine and the west feels the need to intervene

Oh we'll only need a sniff of something to get involved and despite there being no money avaiable for a multitude of things in this country we'll have enough to spend billions on a war none of us want an we can't win.

War is convened by old men in suits and fought by young men barely out of school (someone said sometbing similar)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:38 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Gas is mainly for cooking but I will use the gas fire for a quick blast to warm the van up when its cold, other than that I use the Trumatic electric element in the gas fire to keep the van warm. Electric kettle is used for a cuppa.

I like to pop my top when I go on holiday
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:16 pm
by Just Trolling (deleted)

We use a bit of both depending!!!!

We have a low wattage kettle that we got from Pylones in Cahors (very funky and retro). We do all our cooking in the awning (apart from BBQ and the early morning cuppa). For a long stay I take an Outwell kitchen unit which houses a gas stove and the George Forman. We have a small microwave secreted under the front seats juste en case. I also take a Weber Baby Q gas barbie which lights at the touch of a button an will cook anything from toast to roasting a chicken. Oh Yes and there is a small slow cooker secreted away somewhere for those chilly English early and late season jaunts (Castleton at New Year for example mmmmm sausage casserole or chilli . I have found that 2x6kg propane (bottles/cylinders) will last a good 4 weeks on our travels if not longer.

The truma heating is also dual fuel so toasty no matter what power source is available.

Did I mention our Nespresso pixie…….. mmmmmmmmm coffeeeeeeee, which accompanies us sometimes.

All in all I think we are covered every which way.

Funny how it all fits in really…. but it does, just a case of setting up the right bits and bobs in the right order depending on the ……..aire, lay-by, someones drive or grass verge we find ourselves, which was actually Tescos' car park in Dover last year due unforeseeable circumstances, didn't get the chairs out or unhitch so technically wasn't wild camping.

This wasn't Tesco by the way !!!!!!!
Ray & Sue

DSCN0227_2.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:42 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Looks and sounds very familiar but Cadac instead of a Weber!

Troll & Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:44 pm

Each to their own my friend LOL…..ready steady BBQ…….Happy touring.

On the other hand I am very fickle…. what are Cadacs like?

540 troll & VW Tiguan
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:04 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

We use it for everything.
Eggselent breakfasts! Teasty steaks! Picquant paellas!
Crepes.
Caramel bananas.

Right I have to admit that this is not real barbecuing 'cos there's no charcoal involved so to us it is just cooking conveniently and al fresco.
We still often take a small proper charcoal BBQ because we like the slow aperitif/preparation time etc. but the Cadac is very versatile.

Troll & Galaxy.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:52 pm

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #11
but the Cadac is very versatile.
And it is a damned sight easier to light than a charcoal BBQ plus you can vary the heat.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:57 pm

I know what you mean……preparation time at gin o'clock chin chin ….talking of which…….

Will a CADAC run on propane or is it just butane?

540 troll & VW Tiguan

Last edited Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:04 pm

Quote: Just Trolling wrote in post #13
Will a CADAC run on propane or is it just butane?
Not sure, I run ours from a CampinGaz 907 butane cylinder.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:10 pm

Okies may do some research……..sshhhh don't tell the missuss….!!!

In defence of the Weber, Beef flat ribs @ Chain Bridge Northumberland mmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

IMG_0300_2.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

540 troll & VW Tiguan

Last edited Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:23 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3