An old chesnut

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:45 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Grr! the way people speak and othaah suff, moans this grumpy old git.

Ever is now evaah
therefore whatever is whatevaah. Even a BBC news presenter did that the other day.

They speak so quickly and don't close their teeth or lips to pronounce letters,as with athletes the so called icons for youth.

People complained about the World Cup take over of TV channels, but what about the saturation of the Commonwelth coverage? I love sport but this is too much.

My first railway painting and commission
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

RE: An old chesnut

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:50 am
by Crystal | 245 Posts

Whatevaah! Am I bovhaad? Ennyway - whaas occurin'?

1999 Eriba Troll
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:04 am
by Agger (deleted)

Issit! ° °

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:32 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Two things that really grate with this pedant are "It's a big ask" (which I even heard Will Self use on the radio last weekend) and the now almost universal usage of "train station" instead of railway station. (There are lots more. I love regional accents though except for that awful Estuary English to which Derek refers.)

Unfortunately, the first recorded use of 'ask' as a noun dates back to Beowulf circa 700AD. It was in use in the 19th century but the earliest modern usage was in Australia in 1987 in a sporting context from where it appears to have spread into common usage..

I will continue to say, "It's a lot to ask" and refer to "the railway station".

Stephen Fry doesn't agree,

"The latest Stephen Fry podcast, "Language," is an outstanding rant on the absurdity of being a pedant about the English language, that most glorious, reeling drunken bastard of a tongue that has neither academy nor dictator to rule on "correctness" and so has blossomed into a million variegated subforms in every corner of the globe. Fry excoriates people who insist on "correctness" in language, and urges us all to speak in ways that entertain and please us, rather than adhering to some rigid, notional code (among other things, he has withering contempt for people who complain about the verbing of nouns, pointing out Shakespeare's proclivity for same, and the prevalence of verbed nouns such as "propositioning" in our everyday speech).

On the way, Fry damns the idea of traditionalism itself -- and celebrates change, evolution, playfulness and the democratizing of the tongue. Every word of this is well-spoken, well-thought-out and absolutely liberating. What a treat."

All well and good but as I used to say to my students, if you refer to a member of an interviewing panel as 'blud' or 'bruv', the chances are that you won't get the job, innit.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:36 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

I am a Park Ranger by trade for 38 years and have noticed the language go down hill and swearing. When I first started we evicted any one swearing out of the Park. The one that gets me is in it sentence such as I didn't no in it, no one told me in it, there are no signs in it, what is this in it?

Morphy in it

Eriba Puck name P4 year 2000 pushing a Honda Crv 2.2 diesel residing in sunny Lancashire.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:59 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #4
...and the now almost universal usage of "train station" instead of railway station.
Out of curiosity, what's the correct term for a bus station?

Omnibus depot?

And do you think we should still be boarding a DC3 at the aerodrome using some stairs on wheels pushed out by a couple of chaps in brown overalls with Woodbines dangling from their bottom lips?

Last edited Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:18 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:38 am
by Frantone (deleted)

And do you think we should still be boarding a DC3 at the aerodrome using some stairs on wheels pushed out by a couple of chaps

Might do!
Especially if it means I get my luggage back!

Troll & Galaxy.

Last edited Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

.....also sounds a bit like Ryanair!

Troll & Galaxy
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:09 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #8
Ryanair!

Nothing to do with me! (my surname is Ryan)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:18 pm
by ellen (deleted)

I was brunged up proper in Cheetham Hill , Manchester so of course I talk proper.

Proud owners of Doo-Dah our Familia 310
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:24 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Quote: Morphy wrote in post #5
I what is this in it?
To the best of my knowledge it's an abbreviation of "Isn't it?" usually written as 'innit?'

I had a student once who used it in practically every sentence and when he was doing a formal presentation as part of his business degree I counted the frequency and mentioned it to him at the end. He was genuinely astonished as he didn't realise that he was doing it. He also confessed that he didn't even know what it meant and that he only used it because everyone in his peer group did.

I suppose it's a bit like "you know", "d'yer get me?", "OK?", "right?" etc.

Still, according to Mr Fry and his acolytes we should embrace this vibrant new language and rejoice in its use, innit?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
and Morphy like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:02 pm
by Crystal | 245 Posts

Another favourite student speak:
"first I done this, then I done that...............

1999 Eriba Troll
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:04 pm
by Agger (deleted)

So

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:51 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Thanks for the explanation Brian but it still grates on me innit!

Morphy innit.

Eriba Puck name P4 year 2000 pushing a Honda Crv 2.2 diesel residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0