Re-Tyreing....

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:20 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Both Mrs R and I used to do large mileages in our respective cars when we were working with the consequence that we would change tyres regularly.
Since an incident in my Ford Galaxy where after fitting a new tyre, I picked up a nail in the side wall on the journey home deeming the tyre non-repairable, I've always opted for cheap tyres. Obviously legal however.
Since retiring ( see what I did there?) we do far less miles but obviously a lot more towing miles. However, I am astonished by the following facts.
From new, our VW Touran had to have its two front "Continetal" tyres replaced after 16,000 miles. As usual, I opted to replace them with a budget "Kenda" pair.
I've just replaced that pair again this morning and they have done almost 22,000 miles ! What's more, the tyre fitter pointed out that there was about another 1,000 miles of wear left in them. The Continentals on the rear are still good.
I know the front end of the Touran sometimes feels a little light when towing but surely not to that extent?
What wear do others get from their tyres?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:26 pm | Scroll up

RE: Re-Tyreing....

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
What wear do others get from their tyres?
How long is a piece of string?

There are too many variables - tyre make and type, car type (and weight), how many driven wheels there are (and which they are), what type of driving you do (and in what style), the weather - there's loads.

Because of the nature of the rubber compound you could conceivably be getting greater longevity at the expense of grip with a budget tyre, but if your driving style - and good fortune - means you've never been in a situation where the level of grip was a priority, then you'd be understandably chuffed to have gone half as far again on your replacement tyres.

The difference in compound could well be the reason for the front end of your Touran feeling light from time to time. I don't know, and won't pretend to.

For what it's worth, I always spend a bit more on tyres from a well-known (though not necessarily 'premium') manufacturer, and try to canvas as much opinion from wherever first. Preferably from people who drive the same or similar vehicles.

Punctures are an occupational hazard, and I wouldn't let a puncture in a more expensive tyre persuade me to change to cheaper ones.

And I'm not trying to court controversy from atop a high horse, but the other thing is that the safety of my family is worth more than the few quid saved. It's a bit of a self-righteous old chestnut, but there you go.

In a way it's a similar kind of thing to maintaining a car based on what it's worth. I don't think you can do that.

A car which cost twenty-five grand ten years ago is not now a three grand car when it comes to running costs and replacement parts. It's a twenty-five grand car which is ten years old.

Just my tuppence, mind

Aaron Calder and like this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:48 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:07 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

were on good year tyres
they have performed braking changing direction,very well while other people are driving on our side of road.
we tried various tyres on the 2 Mondeo's we owned, one tyre make always looked flat, another make didn't last 10000 miles motorway driving, others made the car handle strangely, the good year make has always been ok with our mondeos and seem to last the 7 years without crazing.
I learnt quickly cheap tyres cause a lot of wheel changes, most of them bleb'd although correct pressure, 8 nuts each wheel. to undo and tighten.
all depends on budget.

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:02 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

As you probably know, Roger, it's a legal requirement for us to change our tyres twice a year - summer and winter. Well not exactly a requirement but the legal jargon is so written that rather than argue before a court that you were not holding up traffic due to having inappropriate tyres for the season or you slid a metre or so over a zebra crossing even though nobody was on it, so that in the end everybody does change. Anyway, I digress. :-)

Due to the above, our largest motoring organisation (ADAC) conducts and publishes tyre tests twice a year - summer tyres and winter tyres - and in both cases Continental either come in at first place or at least somewhere in the top three. Now it would be my guess that due to the British climate almost all of your cars are fitted with a compromise tyre - the so called all season tyre due to the fact that the winters are not so severe as to justify making it a requirement that you all sport winter tyres.

I can't imagine for one moment that your Continental tyres are of the same compound as my Touran's summer tyres which I now have on because you'd get even less mileage out of them than you're complaining of now - and in winter they'd be possitively dangerous. Likewise I doubt that you're sporting winter tyres because the compound is so soft that you'd chew them up in next to no time.

So, I'm also guessing that your tyres will have M+S stamped on them which is also sometimes represented as M&S or M/S meaning that the tyre meets the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) criteria for performance in mud and snow conditions - which is IIRC having something like at least a 37% void (tread groove) ratio. A tyre with an M+S rating would be considered and marketed as an "all-season" tyre. Interestingly enough, a tiye does not have to be tested in mud or snow conditions to get this rating, it just has to have a high enough percentage of tread grooves to qualify, so the presence of this label does not ensure performance in those conditions. Tyres actually designed, tested and certified for severe winter use will have some variation of the M and S plus a pictograph of a mountain with a snow flake in it. Tyres with that symbol actually do work in real winter.

Oops, I'm digressing again. :-) You can't expect to achieve high mileages sporting compromise tyres which are either too soft for one season or too hard for another and in my opinion, with other things considered (as others have mentioned) you're getting a fair return on those Continentals.

Edit - just out of interest I've just looked at the ADAC test report for the tyres my Touran is currently sporting; Continental ContiPremium Contact 5. They get awarded top place for performance on both dry and wet roads but a negative against them for wear.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:09 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:27 pm
by Agger (deleted)

This year will be the first time I have ever used "winter" tyres, I have Conti's on the car at the moment and the winter tyres are also Conti's but with a lot more grooves and tread pattern, I was advised to start using them when temperatures started to fall below 7° continuously?

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 11 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3