Tall Electrician asks Sparky questions.

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:48 am
by Dee J (deleted)

On a learning curve here. Not much wiring in a 1980 Puck. 230V lighting (with 16A Euro sockets in the end of each light fitting), 12V lighting. Three-way fridge. Trumatic SB 1800 heater. 12V water pump. No battery. Mains hookup runs mains lights, fringe on 230v setting and waterpump via transformer. I guess the 12v lighting and fridge settings only work if there's a supply from the car via pin 2? of the 7 pin 12N plug, haven't checked if the waterpump would work that way... Not sure I'd often be using the 12V lights or waterpump with the car ignition on though... no unswitched 12v on my trailer socket. Does the Trumatic heater need any electrical input (ignition? fan?) not familiar with this unit... or is it just a basic gas unit with pietzo ignition?
I'll try to attach an image here.. is this unit just a transformer, or does it contain a relay function... I could open it up, but it's easier to ask.Electric Box.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Thanks

Dee

Scroll up

RE: Tall Electrician asks Sparky questions.

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:31 pm
by Dee J (deleted)

Ah the joys of photography....That shot is of a tight corner up behind the sink. I can see clearer in the photo than in real life. Just noticed in that picture...There's a toggle switch behind that cable and drain pipe - I wonder what that does. D

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:44 pm
by hob (deleted)

The word on the front ...........gleichricht
is German for Rectifier

That suggests that it alters 230 volt AC into DC current so my guess would be that its a transformer to run the 12 DC equipment that you mention ..........eg 12 volt lights and water pump

I must add here that I know very little about electrics and this is just a guess on my part
For a more informed opinion I suggest having a competent vehicle electrician have a look at it and maybe test it at the same time as if original it will now be 34 years old.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:02 pm
by crow (deleted)

If you don't have a battery in circuit you will get a very rough 12v AC (yes AC)
http://www.325099.co.uk/Eriba.pdf this manual may help.
Some older gas fires are Piezo later ones have a battery (duracell 1.5V type)
in a black box with a sliding lid (bottom right of the fire)

Last edited Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:06 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:33 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: crow wrote in post #4
If you don't have a battery in circuit you will get a very rough 12v AC (yes AC)

Are you talking about the 12v BIP outputs, old chum?

The transformer windings provide both 12vAC and 12vDC irrespective of whether there's a battery there or not. The DC winding is for anything that requires a motor; the AC is for the lighting because bulbs don't care.

And yes, you're right - the AC is as rough as a badger's arse.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:13 pm
by crow (deleted)

You be right there young Pete, I was confusing with the old BIP.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:16 pm
by crow (deleted)

Where is that JnsE when you want him? Has he sold his Troll and bought a Bailey
or summfink?

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0