Driving licence changes clarified

in We've got it down to a T Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:12 pm
by Bigloue (deleted)

There is an article in the January 2015 C&CC mag about towing with a class B license. The Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the car and trailer must not exceed 3,500 Kg. This now applies as from 19th January 2013, to drivers regardless of when you passed your driving test.

There was confusion about people who passed their test post 1996 when it was specified they only had to tow a trailer that was less than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, no MAM is specified.

At 70 you lose your C1 on your license so you cannot tow a twin axle with a Range Rover (train weight over 3,500 Kg) unless you have a medical and apply for your C1 back on your license; my medical cost £95 and lasts for 3 years (it is an age thing and will not effect you youngsters).

I know this probably does not apply to Eriba caravans but it may affect others reading this forum.

and like this post!
Last edited Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:09 am | Scroll up

RE: Driving licence changes clarified

in We've got it down to a T Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:05 pm
by Bigloue (deleted)

Turns out this information is not correct, I did a lot digging to get to the bottom of things because I am over 70 and no longer have C1 +E on my licence 🕙♎️and thought I could not tow with my Mitsi shogun at 2960kg and Eriba at 1300kg, which is over the 3500 kg stated in the article, even started to book a medical to get the C1+E back on. Then I checked with the DVLA and all is made clear here:-

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

Hope this may be of use,

Brian

Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:11 pm
by logburner (deleted)

Thanks Brian,
I was of the same opinion...nothing over 3500kg. but on looking, I do have the BE category on my renewed licence, and according to what I've read here, can tow over 3500kg on B+E.
Not that I do..........but nice to know I can.......... Ian.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:23 pm
by Bigloue (deleted)

Depends when you passed your test though!

Me being an oldy I'm OK

Brian

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:33 pm
by logburner (deleted)

October 1962 lol. should be ok ?

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6