Jeep recall Cherokee and Grand Cherokee

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:02 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Jeep has announced a recall of more than 30,000 Cherokee and Grand Cherokee models which will leave many of these cars unsuitable for towing. In the UK, the recall started at the end of September.
built between 01/01/92 and 27/10/98, and the Cherokee built between 2002 and 2007 – both petrol and diesel models
The recall is to strengthen the rear of the car, following reports in the US of an unusually high number of vehicle fires in the event of a rear impact. Under the recall, a cross beam is fitted to provide additional crash protection.

In some cases, this means a Jeep Cherokee or Grand Cherokee will need to have an existing tow ball removed in order for the cross beam to be fitted. Once the cross beam is in place, it's no longer possible to fit a towball to the car.

Read more at http://www.practicalcaravan.com/blog/314...AhdWcLFiYvVP.99

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

RE: Jeep recall Cherokee and Grand Cherokee

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:07 pm
by Agger (deleted)

That'll put paid to there latest advertising then, big campaign, shot to shreds by bad design / build

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:13 pm

Here is a American video explaining the issue:

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:01 pm
by crow (deleted)
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:50 pm

It reminds me of my old 1974 round wheel arch MG Midget, from 1972 to 1974 BL made the rear wheel arch rounded, which in my view looked prettier. rather than the squared off original version,
The Americans carried out a rear crash test and found that it was substantially weaker causing the fuel tank to rupture and catch fire . BL had to revert back to the squared off wheel arch to comply with the American crash regulations.

Last edited Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:52 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:06 pm
by logburner (deleted)

Its obvious that the American crash tests have been hopeless, and inadequate. Most likely due to pressure from the vehicle manufacturers, not to make them too effective.
I would be mad if my tow vehicle was left in-operable by some safety recall, especially if it had the supposed Jeep reputation for towing.
If Chrysler can replace American vehicle tow bars with suitable ones, I don't see why they can get away with not doing a reciprocal one for their exported models, in fact, if they don't, I can see all their prospective clients voting with their feet, along to another vehicle manufacturer.
After all, with regards to the tow bar, there must be a suitable one out there, it would only take a bit of research.........they just don't want the expense. !!! Shame on them.....I bet the Chrysler Executives don't drive these models, as they are older ones. If I had one, I'd have a great big notice on the back. "DON'T HIT ME - I BLOW UP " Ian.

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:19 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: logburner wrote in post #6
Its obvious that the American crash tests have been hopeless, and inadequate. Most likely due to pressure from the vehicle manufacturers, not to make them too effective.
I doubt it. The NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) has been a thorn in the side of the automotive industry for decades. It operates a system of crash testing introduced in 1979 which was a model for the subsequent introduction of the Euro NCAP tests that new cars undergo in Europe. It's entirely independent, as is Euro NCAP and several other equivalent organisations around the world, and if there was any sense in which the NHTSA - or any of the others - were bending to pressure from car makers, the poo really would hit the fan.

It just doesn't happen like that. Not these days, at any rate.

What the NHTSA and all the others can't do is test for every eventuality, and there will probably always be examples of faults or failings in vehicles which slip through the net. It's when these faults or failings become apparent that the NHTSA bare their teeth and demand that the car maker concerned addresses the issue lickety-split.

Zitat
I would be mad if my tow vehicle was left in-operable by some safety recall, especially if it had the supposed Jeep reputation for towing.
If Chrysler can replace American vehicle tow bars with suitable ones, I don't see why they can get away with not doing a reciprocal one for their exported models, in fact, if they don't, I can see all their prospective clients voting with their feet, along to another vehicle manufacturer.
After all, with regards to the tow bar, there must be a suitable one out there, it would only take a bit of research.........they just don't want the expense. !!! Shame on them.....

You're absolutely right. They don't want the expense. However cynical it might be, car makers will almost always try to avoid incurring the costs of recalls and modifications until the force of legislation or public opinion (or both) makes their position untenable and they are either obliged to comply or there is a possibility that the cost of lost sales will exceed the costs of that recall. It's a profit-driven industry with zillions of shareholders after all, and it's an hypocrisy which isn't unique to car manufacturers.

One of the main reasons - if not the main reason - for the apparent reluctance of Chrysler to treat their British customers with the same - albeit belated - attention as the ones in the States is that our legal system does not have the equivalent of the American class action lawsuit, i.e. one in which a group of consumers similarly and commonly affected by something can bring a joint case against whoever it is who's accused of doing whatever it is.

Class action is a powerful thing in the States. There are many cases where the American consumers of products which are effectively identical to those sold to European consumers have had their grievances resolved by the threat of a class action lawsuit. A current example is one in which Audi USA is rectifying excessive oil consumption in certain engines and they are doing it free of charge, yet the owners of cars with identical engines in this country are having to contend with obfuscation and denial of the issue from Audi UK.

Whether you're a fan of the litigation culture or not, I reckon there are some aspects of consumer law where we might benefit from adopting parts of the American system.

Aaron Calder and Ribski like this post!
Last edited Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:54 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:00 pm
by logburner (deleted)

Back on line again......been off since last post on 12 Jan...........

the ..".American crash tests have been hopeless" remarks were thrown out there as bait for more information from those in the know !!
Well done Pepe, just the person to put me straight, a real piece of insider info for me to get stuck into, thanks for that. Ian.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:57 pm
by MCINND (deleted)

I believe that Nissan have / are recalling some of their Qashqai models with a possible issue with the towball falling off.
David

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:01 pm
by logburner (deleted)

Yes, they have. It only applies, apparently, to their own Nissan towbar...........mines a Witter, fitted by the main Nissan agents, through a local fitting place.
Phew !! Could have been one of their own fitted, as I didn't specify. they checked it out anyway, but all ok. Ian.

Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4