Towing with campervan

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:30 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Now I know there are a few peeps on here that already use a campervan as tow truck and I'm after some advice.

Before our Eribas we had a compact motorhome and before that a campervan. The reason we opted for a campervan was to allow us to travel to dog shows all over the country and spend the night before and/or the night after sleeping near the show, rather than driving there and back in a day. We found just the right van with four seats that turned into two single, or a double bed, sink, fridge, gas hob, Thetford swivel toilet, loads of storage and uniquely a 2ft deep space between the rear wheelarches where we fitted a bespoke dog crate. All this was inside a SWB Ford Transit with a purpose built hightop roof. That van was perfect for our needs, but gradually we found ourselves using it for longer periods away and filling it up with additional gear. Pretty soon we started getting cabin fever and so after a couple of years we moved on to a motorhome.

Anyway history may be about to repeat itself. With our new puppy we could be going back into the show ring and pounding the motorways of old England, and old Wales and old Scotland too. Whilst we've graduated to caravans we think that a number of shows won't need the rigmarole and hassle of a caravan, but a quick one nighter in a camper will suffice. Our previous camper was always used as my daily transport as well and The same would apply to one we purchased now.

Having thought about this for a while I'm wondering if anyone knows of a van that might fit the following spec:

Fitted with a proper automatic gearbox, not an automated manual.
A manufacturers towing weight limit of at least 1,500kg
At least 1.38m clear space between the rear wheelarches to fit our Barjo dog crate
Space above the 0.7m high Barjo dog crate for storage of folded grooming trolley, puppy pen, camping chairs etc
Clear central aisle to allow central door of dog crate to be utilised
At least two crash tested rear passenger seats with belts, both front seats to swivel
Two single beds, one at least 2.0m long, the other at least 1.75m
Fridge, sink, hob with at least two burners
Porta Pottie storage
Fitted microwave oven
Pop-top roof
Storage space for two people for around two days away

As mentioned above we still have the dog crate from our Transit, although it is for sale on Preloved http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/1...ransit-van.html

We do like the adaptability of Auto Campers offer on the new Transit Custom where you can buy furniture modules, like kitchen and wardrobe units which can be removed if required http://www.auto-campers.co.uk/. Funnily enough we purchased our previous camper from them in the days when they were the only dealer for Horizons Unlimited vans.

Any help and suggestions gratefully rec'd.

SDA

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

RE: Towing with campervan

in We've got it down to a T Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:29 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

I am sure you will get loads of stuff in Andy judging by the number of campervan users in here, quite a recent arrival of them it seems. Good luck.

Incidently there is a chap down our way, haven't met him yet but he has a 60s era Eriba and a collection of Beetles.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2