A lesson in modern car driving?

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:50 pm
by Randa france | 12.888 Posts

Having had a full driving licence for 47 years I've always attempted to drive the cars we've owned with a deal of respect, listening to the engine tone as well as looking at the rev counter and speedo when changing gear.
However, last week I had the opportunity of borrowing a 2 litre TDi VW Jetta for the day while our Touran was being serviced. The Jetta had the same engine size as our Touran but had an automatic gearbox.
I couldn't believe just how much higher the engine was revving before the car kicked into the next gear. It made me cringe but it also made me realise that perhaps I'm not driving our car hard enough.
I'm quite a quick driver but realise now that perhaps I'm changing gear too early. I've driven automatics before but have never had the opportunity before of comparing like for like.
What are other's opinions on the subject?
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:53 pm | Scroll up

RE: A lesson in modern car driving?

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:03 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Race you?

Just a thought but did it have a Sport setting? This would make it hold a gear longer.

Last edited Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:05 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:11 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Personally, auto's are not for me but apparently they're great for towing (not my words). I still double de clutch yep true.

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:11 pm

Quote: Frantone wrote in post #2
Race you? Just a thought but did it have a Sport setting? This would make it hold a gear longer.

Don't think it had a sports setting but the "Race You" comment is interesting.
Do you remember last year when I followed you for about 40 miles from St Palais to La Rochelle? You were quite surprised when I said that you were quicker off the mark and in lower gears than we were? Your Galaxy's automatic isn't it?
Randa

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:45 pm
by hob (deleted)

In my new car a part of the display tells me to change up if I'm doing more than about 2000 rpm

I took this as a fuel saving measure, I have to ignore it when towing the van.

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:53 pm
by crow (deleted)

Get as much fun as possible from your car.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:03 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #4
Quote: Frantone wrote in post #2
Race you? Just a thought but did it have a Sport setting? This would make it hold a gear longer.

Don't think it had a sports setting but the "Race You" comment is interesting.
Do you remember last year when I followed you for about 40 miles from St Palais to La Rochelle? You were quite surprised when I said that you were quicker off the mark and in lower gears than we were? Your Galaxy's automatic isn't it?
Randa

Yes, I remember. That's why I said 'race you!'

The Galaxy is a 6 speed automatic and has the facility to change manually (tiptronic style) and also has an S setting which holds a gear longer in auto mode for a bit more poke. This feature is quite common on modern autos which is why I wondered about it on your courtesy car.
Having changed to automatic cars some years ago I am sold on the ease of use especially when towing.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:03 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

if there are no growling noises from gear box or engine stalling your changing ok Randa

must admit our car seems to have more oomph (beans) since towing eriba.

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:49 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #1
What are other's opinions on the subject?
No self-respecting chap possessed of even a modestly-sized pair of testicles should ever entertain the notion that a car knows how to drive better than he does.

What is the world coming to? Whatever happened to those manly attributes of hubris and braggadocio? We're turning into a nation of weedy metrosexuals in loafers and slacks, that's what we're doing.

I despair. I really do.

PS It's nothing personal. It's just a lament for lost testosterone.

Last edited Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:28 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #9
No self-respecting chap possessed of even a modestly-sized pair of testicles should ever entertain the notion that a car knows how to drive better than he does.

And that's part of the point I'm trying to make. There are so many gizmos and gadgets in modern cars that attempt to overrule you and make you question the decisions you make when driving and my experience with the automatic gearbox is a casing point.
I am fully aware that the modern diesel engine needs to be driven a little harder to help burn off dust particles but I now question whether I should be driving our car even harder. To do so goes very much against the grain as I try to look after my vehicles but in this case, it could be good for the car.
Randa

Last edited Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:38 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:43 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

This thought has just begun in my little brain. Our new car has the "Eco" feature and tells me when to change gear. It doesn't seem to agree with my idea of gear changing. Now I know I have always driven my cars quite hard, used to compete in road rallies as a youngster, and still like to get the most out of the car when I can. With all this DPF business I would have thought that the car needed driving harder than it seems to think it does. Why am I listening to an onboard computer??
Julie.
PS. Don't anyone tell Neil about this post, he drives more sedately than me (should that be I?) and wouldn't appreciate me thrashing the car!

Puck L 225 GT pushing Honda CRV SE 1.6 i-DTEC
Pepé Le Pew and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:20 am
by Agger (deleted)

I drive ours "normally" having used diesel in our cars since 1991 and in my case driving diesel vehicles since the 60's, I always let the torque do it's job. I learnt to drive in something with a 27l (yes 27 litre) petrol engine which came out of the Spitfire planes, it also had a crash gearbox. I owned our old Shogun for a week under 21 years and sold it with nearly 300k on the clock, still on it's original clutch. We had 2 other cars at the same time as the Shogun, a petrol Rav4 (towing) and in 2002 we bought a new Mini Cooper S petrol.

With the petrol engine vehicles I always had to rev them hard to get any performance out of them! The Rav was a bad choice on my part, but we stuck with it. I sold the Shogun and gave the Rav to our daughter and then bought our current car a 2l diesel.

SUPERB, I get 36 mpg + when towing 60 mpg + when solo. These days we only tour the UK and then we use our favourite sites, but on a fairly recent trip to Damage Barton, 136 miles from where we are, we arrived in under 3 hours, achieved the afore mentioned 36 mpg, and on the hilly road from jct 27 of the M5 only had to change out of 6th gear once to climb a hill, then it was only 5th gear, we did change down to descend hills but thats fairly normal for me.

Driving solo I seldom rev past 3000 rpm mostly 2000 or 2500, I don't need to rev any harder as I see vehicles disapearing in my rear view mirror, I drive fast on the motorway, but elsewhere I'm the one you all overtake as I'm sticking to the speed limit.

In essence, no need to rev a diesel engine hard (yet, newer engines are on the way with 10000rpm rev limiters) the torque will do the job for you

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!

Last edited Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:40 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:13 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #11
he drives more sedately than me (should that be I?)
If you think the sentence through in full, it will become clear. What you are saying is, "he drives more sedately than I drive" - which makes sense.

You would never (I hope) say "he drives more sedately than me drives."

Well, you did ask.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Last edited Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:13 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:45 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Well I've got the Touran same as you Roger so know where you're coming from. I've driven all manner of diesels over the years ranging from military trucks, commercial trucks, Fire Engines and a range of cars but the Touran is the first vehicle with a MFD indicating when you should change up.

In the beginning I used to look at this and compared it to my own changing technique but after a short while binned the idea as we couldn't agree LOL. The indication was ok on the flat and if you wanted to save fuel but present the car with a slight hill and you'd be up and down the gearbox like a lady of the streets knickers. I now rely purely on my own experience which, like you, having always treated my vehicles with respect, I don't think can be far off. Funnily enough, when doing a Police training course a while back after the preliminary run to see how hard his job was going to be, the Instructor said 'Um, I can see you've spent most of the time driving diesel cars LOL.

Anyway, with now having to take into consideration burning off all those nasty products of combustion (particles) I'm attempting, albeit reluctantley I admit, to stay in lower gears a touch longer in order to ensure that proper engine temperatures are attained and once attained, maintained. This results in slightly less mpg but if you look at the cost of a replacement DPF the extra fuel costs pale in comparison.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #14

Anyway, with now having to take into consideration burning off all those nasty products of combustion (particles) I'm attempting, albeit reluctantley I admit, to stay in lower gears a touch longer in order to ensure that proper engine temperatures are attained and once attained, maintained. This results in slightly less mpg but if you look at the cost of a replacement DPF the extra fuel costs pale in comparison.

I agree with, however how do we know we are at the correct temperature?? I remember when we were in Germany and used to drive back home via Calais (close on 500 miles) in the old Shogun😎 the gear lever would warm up, due to heat transfer. But these days my current car does'nt have a temperature guage, and even if it did it would probably indicate "warm" at a little over 3 miles or so. My point is very few of us regularly get to a warm right through engine temperature, even towing I think after about an hour at motorway speeds I'd be happy it was warm, I don't have or know the answers but just put this out there for discussion??

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105781 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1