Towing with a car licence.

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:40 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

A came across an interesting on-line conversation where a young lady was interested in purchasing a 3 berth Eriba, but didn't wish to apply for a trailer towing licence.
Although and "oldie", I knew that this sort of thing existed as a few of our kids passed their driving test after 1997. However, I wanted to check out just what size of trailer could be towed with a recent car licence and unless I've got it totally wrong, it would appear that there is a max. 3500kg limit. That means that unless one uses an extremely heavy tow car, then Eriba towing is free for all. Is that how others see it?
https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car
3500kg max. train weight
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:47 am | Scroll up

RE: Towing with a car licence.

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:37 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

I'll reach 70 in a couple of years - so have had a look at +70 License. As I understand it you automatically revert to a "B" entitlement:

Tow Car/Van up to 3500kg (MAM) + a Trailer not over 750 kg PROVIDED the total Mass (MAM ) of the Tow Car/Van) does not exceed
3500kg.

You will require a "B + E" entitlement If the Trailer exceeds 750 kg but the total of Tow Car/Van is not more than total of 3500kg

THINK I GOT THIS RIGHT ! please let me know if I'm wrong :(

If you need a" B+E" you have to apply for it. No medical is required unless you need to apply for higher than "B+E" ! Simples (?)

I think they believe that not only do you become unable to drive over 70, but that you'll also loose your 'marbles' and be unable to understand the legislation ! So get the bathroom scales out and start weighing things :)

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:24 pm

At first I thought you had got it wrong but after reading it again, I think you're right.
Holders of a new licence only have a Category B which means you can't tow anything with a train weight of over 3500kg unless you hold a B+E licence.
Randa

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:57 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

hmmmm interesting,
if i was the person going tow for the first time test after 97
would like to have the knowledge it anything went wrong had taken all precautions ie done the trailer course, so that the insurance and mr police man had no chance of putting blotches on license and refusing to pay me out for total loss...
(personally have taken the hgv license in the course of old work).
but doing the course don't you get a discount on insurance?
or is that another?

belt and braces, always put safety first..

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:56 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

I think that the 'train weight' (tow vehicle + caravan/trailer) is the same MAX of 3500kg for both "B" & "B+E" - but with a "B+E" you can tow a heavier caravan/trailler BUT NOT EXCEED train of 3500kg !

This means that, for example a FIAT 500 (subject to all other guidelines ) could legally tow a heavier caravan than a Range Rover if that same van put the Range Rover combination over the 3500kg limit !

Have I got this right

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:19 pm
by robandali (deleted)

Some useful info on the C&CC web pages - http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co....se/areyoulegal/
Rob

Puck L 230GT following a Peugeot 3008 2.0L diesel
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:41 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

Quote: Ribski wrote in post #2
I'll reach 70 in a couple of years - so have had a look at +70 License. As I understand it you automatically revert to a "B" entitlement

At 70 you will still keep B+E. It is the class which affects heavy motor homes, I think C1 which you lose. My father in law has just renewed his licence and still has B+E

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:37 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

"Licences held before 1 January 1997
If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.

This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road.

You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM."

The above from direct .gov. seems to support the view that at 70 you need do nothing to retain your 'towing entitlement' for our sort of caravans. It's still not crystal clear as I can't find any mention of the over 70 renewal entitlement. There are so many conflicting views on various Forums and Sites like C&CC and CC

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:23 pm
by Taffy (deleted)

Has anyone taken the towing courses run by some of the clubs.? I am legal to tow but wondered about taking a course to teach manoeuvring etc.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:02 am
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #9
Has anyone taken the towing courses run by some of the clubs.? I am legal to tow but wondered about taking a course to teach manoeuvring etc.

Not me, who taught the trainers!

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:14 am
by sibillini | 236 Posts

I took the Caravan Club course and found it very useful, not just for the reversing etc but also for the legal stuff and general advice imparted.

For the money it is well worth it even if you are happy with your towing.

You can also get a discount on CC and C&CC insurance following the course.

Charlie

2002 Eriba Troll 540 (Elsie) cosying up to a Honda CRV 2.2 diesel
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:29 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

My wife did, she found it very good, although she was legal to tow she had never done so, the course gave her confidence and taught the basics of reversing [straight and around corners] getting on and off a pitch, setting up, coupling up, and driving
Dave.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:32 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

>Not me, who taught the trainers<
Experience

Last edited Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:33 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:47 pm
by Agger (deleted)

Quote: eribanaut wrote in post #13
>Not me, who taught the trainers<
Experience

Well that pretty much works for me, I've been towing since the early 70's, all makes and types of vehicles, some on my license which shows some competancy, however experience is'nt granted it's gained over time doing the actual "function". My licence does'nt show all my driving experience or tests! (Not everything is shown on ALL licences).

You just can't beat time doing the job, sure you'll make mistakes if you don't your not learning.

I just don't see the need to spend money on it, when most of us could practise in an empty car park (it's where most of the "L" platers go around here).

You just need low revs, small wheel movements, and some confidence, you'll be surprised how quickly you can teach yourself I would certainly encourage more people to do it this way.

The "teachers" have seen an opportunity and that's fine, but they are teaching an ever younger demographic, those of us who have been driving longer have a certain "confidence" which comes with time and experience.

My experience or depth of knowledge is just that, mine! Plenty of others on here have experience greater than mine

Likes to wax and have a smooth finish!

They teach you truth is good, then when you tell the truth everyone get's offended!

Last edited Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:28 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:07 pm

Quote: Taffy wrote in post #9

I know this was posted some time ago but thought I would re-post it for all our newer members. This is where Agger took his towing course while serving in Germany:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRZqeuBtBok

Please note the "low revs, small wheel movements".
Randa

likes this post!
Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:12 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0